Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Eta

Windspeed

1 minute ago, TradeWinds said:

Live report from Orlando. We have a gust to 10 mph and about 0.02" of rain today. :lol: Sure does sound like Tampa got some big rains today. I hear some places are up to 6 or 7".

5.8 inches with my PWS. That may be it for today.

The strongest gust I see so far is 60 mph at the Skyway Fishing Pier and Surfside Condos on Clearwater Beach. Our weather station at Surfside is on top of the building, so the wind is always stronger up there. I think 78 was the peak with Irma. We've had gusts in the 50s around Gulfport.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prospero said:

Bay Shore WILL be flooded tomorrow morning. We already know that. ;)

It’s already completely flooded over at the north end near downtown.  More extensive than I anticipated.  Got hit by a strong gust and almost fell off a ledge into the water.

7B0D4E80-1991-48B5-AE0D-C43988DD221C.jpeg

A2D40D1D-A2C6-4781-9097-FAFD45E823A7.jpeg

EE47E470-6ACE-4852-98AD-32DA76DEF1E5.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

It’s already completely flooded over at the north end near downtown.  More extensive than I anticipated.  Got hit by a strong gust and almost fell off a ledge into the water.

7B0D4E80-1991-48B5-AE0D-C43988DD221C.jpeg

A2D40D1D-A2C6-4781-9097-FAFD45E823A7.jpeg

EE47E470-6ACE-4852-98AD-32DA76DEF1E5.jpeg

Almost the perfect test storm.  We will find out if Tampa has it's shit together for the big one.

• Like 1

Instructive storm for Tampa area.  

The angle of approach and landfall north of Clearwater (Eta will come ashore around Crystal River or Cedar Key) somewhat echos the worst case scenario Hurricane Phoenix simulation.  That of course would be a massive Cat 4/5, and would bring a 30+ foot surge through downtown.  So obviously not apples to apples.

But Eta is a 65 mph TS and is bringing an impressive degree of flooding thus far.  This is not a typical angle of approach for systems here, with the wind and surge stacking and funneling up the Bay and rivers.  It’s easy to see how a major+ would be epically bad and likely catastrophic.

ED675407-E728-4AC7-B2B1-FF9FAC1AC7C1.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Prospero said:

We have a small sunsetter canopy on our front porch supposed to be good to 35 mph winds. It was thrashing and making a lot of really bad sounds, so I just took it down…for the first time since it was installed. It was about to rip the screws out of the house and become a flapping nightmare.

I couldn’t remember how to take it down, so was out in the wind and rain struggling with it! It is down now, after getting soaked and falling down once when I finally figured out how to release the two main structure beams and it folded on top of me!

I hope my neighbors across the street were not watching! LOL

:lol:

So I guess you can say " I survived Eta 2020, we will rebuild "

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FLweather said:

:lol:

So I guess you can say " I survived Eta 2020, we will rebuild "

LOL!

I drove down to the Gulfport Waterfront. I didn't see many trees down, but the surge was highest since I moved here in 2006. Irma caused more damage with winds, but Eta appears to have done more flood damage. Several boats are washed up on shore. Fox News 13 was down there so some video should be available soon.

EDIT: Video up:
https://www.fox13news.com/video/870168

On 10/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, TriPol said:

Hey, let's slam another tropical system into Lousiana. I don't think they've had enough this year.

I know!!! I was so scared that we are going to face another storm this year. I kept checking my climacell app everyday for updates. So glad when it turned eastwards, although I feel sorry for the people of Florida who got hit twice by the storm. This year seems to be a series of storms all over America. The west coast is have a winter storm. Even Rockford IL was hit by a storm yesterday. Wondering if 2021 is going to be any better...

13 hours ago, TPAwx said:

Instructive storm for Tampa area.  

The angle of approach and landfall north of Clearwater (Eta will come ashore around Crystal River or Cedar Key) somewhat echos the worst case scenario Hurricane Phoenix simulation.  That of course would be a massive Cat 4/5, and would bring a 30+ foot surge through downtown.  So obviously not apples to apples.

But Eta is a 65 mph TS and is bringing an impressive degree of flooding thus far.  This is not a typical angle of approach for systems here, with the wind and surge stacking and funneling up the Bay and rivers.  It’s easy to see how a major+ would be epically bad and likely catastrophic.

ED675407-E728-4AC7-B2B1-FF9FAC1AC7C1.jpeg

Oh man cat 5 hurricane Phoenix...I wonder if @USCAPEWEATHERAF knows about this 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Oh man cat 5 hurricane Phoenix...I wonder if @USCAPEWEATHERAF knows about this 

The worst hurricane to hit Tampa since 1848 was one in 1921. Of course it destroyed Gulfport as well.

I've been wishing and wish-casting a tropical storm to visit Gulfport all season. "As strong as possible without power outages, financial hardship, deaths, etc."

Well, we got it, with more financial hardship than I wished. No deaths so far. A few hundred lost power, but will be back on soon if not already.

As far as local news in the Tampa Bay area, Gulfport had the best visuals. Every local news station was in town today. Here is one link that shows pictures mostly from here:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2020/11/12/photos--eta-s-aftermath-in-the-tampa-bay-area

I was out late last night doing last minute panic prep in our yard getting soaked in the driving rain when the winds picked up, and spent a half a day today trying to clean up our yard enough to have a path to go where we need to go. Landscapers with chainsaws will do the rest. I am physically exhausted! Too old for this stuff! My back is killing me!

I asked for it, and got it. Maybe the last US storm landfall of the season, maybe not.

Next year I might not be wishing anything here or for anybody! :)

Side note: I was down by the waterfront at first light this morning and very few people were down there looking at the sights. I took my wife down there a couple hours ago and all the restaurants that were flooded last night were totally packed with storm voyeurs! Crowds with their cell phones were taking pics on the beat up brand new boardwalk. Gulfport is very busy tonight! LOL

Tropical System Tourism is maybe not so bad. (Except Camille...)

On 11/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, Windspeed said:

Constant lightning going off in the eyewall. Recon may find a high end Category 4. Unless there is an ERC/structural change, Eta has our best shot of attaining Category 5 this year in the basin now. Happens now or try again next year I reckon.

Iota: "Hold my beer"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...