Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Eta

Windspeed

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

I direct hit on the only population center in the area would be unfortunately, luckily not a whole lot of other population centers in that area. Hopefully most of the fain falls in the swamps.

Hopefully Puerto Cabezas rebuilt stronger after Felix and might be lucky enough to be on the south side of the storm so the wind and surge will not have much impact.

No chasers will be there I am sure. And news will take a while to get to us. So landfall will be all about sats and estimates. Maybe some weather updates, but we may not even see those.

Of course the floods in the mountains and subsequent mud slides are a nightmare always.

3 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Clearly at its peak right now.

Also, the recon plane is back up in the air and headed south over the gulf.

330826065_COD-GOES-East-meso-meso2_14.20201102.224952-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.8556e6431cdb5cfd4986de35fe8b0b91.gif

seems like there is a legit chance it can get a few passes in before landfall, assuming it does not turn back. for what its worth, HWRF seems to think this is a current 930mb storm with it getting down to 925mb before landfall.

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Clearly at its peak right now.

Also, the recon plane is back up in the air and headed south over the gulf.

330826065_COD-GOES-East-meso-meso2_14.20201102.224952-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.8556e6431cdb5cfd4986de35fe8b0b91.gif

Cruising speed of these aircraft are ~320-340 mph.  They have about 1200 miles to get there, so roughly 4 hours.  Might be enough time!

(1) Definitely not a typical atlantic presentation. Absolutely off the charts impressive in every way. Yeah, could be at home in the indian. Amphan-esq. Though it morphed a bit, I think it had more wpac flavor earlier on. I am a bit at a loss for words. 

(2)  http://wxmaps.org/pix/atlpot.png

(3) EDIT: Finally got an ASCAT pass over.... WMBds76.png

5 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Cruising speed of these aircraft are ~320-340 mph.  They have about 1200 miles to get there, so roughly 4 hours.  Might be enough time!

Going to be close. HMON HWRF start weakening after 3z,   but still have a cat4 at 6z.   It may get close to CAT 5 between now and 3z.

2 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Well, lol, the plane is certainly booking it, given that it's currently moving at a brisk 375 knots. 

That should shave off an hour from my estimate!

Satellite presentation is the best so far, supported by Raw T values.

FWIW: T 7.1 as a post-processed value would equate to a 140 kt cat 5.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Indeed. I just did a bit of research, it has a top speed of 411 knots, which is actually very fast for a turboprop. Normal cruise is 328 knots. Something tells me they're trying to make up for lost time. 

Is the AF aircraft a C-130? 

6 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Is the AF aircraft a C-130? 

Well, I looked up the specs for a P-3. C-130's top out at 320 knots, so to get to 375 knots in a C-130 you need a strong tailwind. I'll go check. If they're flying a 130 I'm a little confused. 

Edit: USCAPEWEATHERAF is correct. Standby need to lookup the speed table for that now. I was giving the noaa plane speeds, apologies. 

Edit: Data says it has a 362 knot maximum speed. Clearly it's exceeding that. Regardless, faster than 320. To boil down all of this stuff--I think it's going to take em 3 hours based on the distance, and the point of my message is, they're maxing out the speed. That reduces range due to fuel eff reduction but probably not by too much and worth it at this point to get the data. 

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Hopefully Puerto Cabezas rebuilt stronger after Felix and might be lucky enough to be on the south side of the storm so the wind and surge will not have much impact.

No chasers will be there I am sure. And news will take a while to get to us. So landfall will be all about sats and estimates. Maybe some weather updates, but we may not even see those.

Of course the floods in the mountains and subsequent mud slides are a nightmare always.

Well they already had a deadly mudslide in El Salvador on October 29th that killed at least ten people. The cause is listed as excessive rainfall on already saturated soil.  I don't know how saturated the soils in the overall area are though, but it could be very bad I imagine.

*I just happened to see this when looking at a landslide blog I view occasionally ... it is an interesting blog and I am sure it will have an in depth account of any landslides or debris flows caused by Eta. Hope it alright to post a link here:  https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/

1 minute ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Well, I looked up the specs for a P-3. C-130's top out at 320 knots, so to get to 375 knots in a C-130 you need a strong tailwind. I'll go check. If they're flying a 130 I'm a little confused. 

Just looked it up.  Looks like it's a C-130.  I guess they attached the rocket booster.