• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Eta

Windspeed

Here we go again. Newly designated Invest 96L is already showing signs of further development tonight in the Lesser Antilles with strong southerly banding trying to close off a mid-level vortex. Too early to know if a surface circulation is forming, but clearly the disturbance is organizing. If TCG is ahead of schedule it could really open the door for a hurricane, perhaps a major by the time this moves into the Western Caribbean. Going ahead and firing up a thread due to land interaction and an obvious up in genesis progs.

A large area of disturbed weather in the vicinity of the Lesser 
Antilles is associated with a tropical wave.  Upper-level winds are 
expected to become more conducive for development of this 
disturbance during the next few days, and a tropical depression is 
likely to form by the time the system reaches the western Caribbean 
Sea early next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

two_atl_5d0 (6).png

Unironically the most bullish I've been on any storm this season. Nearly perfect upper level anticyclonic pattern combined with excellent OHC and above average SDT's given the time of the year, as well as a vigorous circulation that appears to already be in the process of developing 

I'm gathering this wont be a US threat but more of a Central American threat 

If this goes bonkers in the central Caribbean, it may leave the door open for the GOM. Upper mid-level flow would be more ESErly for a WNW track if a stronger stacked hurricane. This could be another Yucatán strike and then depending on downstream wave/trough interaction, could lift poleward. But obviously it's too early. But a weaker system would seem more likely a Nicaraguan/Honduras threat. A stronger hurricane a Belize/Yucatán/GOM threat. 

15 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

If this goes bonkers in the central Caribbean, it may leave the door open for the GOM. Upper mid-level flow would be more ESErly for a WNW track if a stronger stacked hurricane. This could be another Yucatán strike and then depending on downstream wave/trough interaction, could lift poleward. But obviously it's too early. But a weaker system would seem more likely a Nicaraguan/Honduras threat. A stronger hurricane a Belize/Yucatán/GOM threat. 

Hey, let's slam another tropical system into Lousiana. I don't think they've had enough this year.

Since daybreak. Evident mid-level rotation in the cloud envelope. There is low-level banding streaming out of the NNW which seems somewhat suspicious that a surface low has closed even if weak. Either way, this disturbance continues to look better with each hour. May have a depression by this evening.

c7678d6e24452086c6a903fd636e4aa3.gif&key=83d11648aab26696891c0fc008d2d840c078991da94519a387239a241a5bc074

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

And once again a 18z GFS run decimates south Florida, has a hurricane sitting over it for three straight days.  Maybe this one will be it? Will south Florida escape this season?

More like a moderate ts at worst. 10m winds in the 30 to 40 kt range. Pressure in the mid to high 980s

1 hour ago, cptcatz said:

And once again a 18z GFS run decimates south Florida, has a hurricane sitting over it for three straight days.  Maybe this one will be it? Will south Florida escape this season?

To be honest, I'd feel better if we do get a very late yet respectable storm this season to complete the map where every mile of the eastern US was in a cone at some point. If we on the central west coast of Florida by freak luck skipped this year, I'll be on edge next year!!

GFS with one of it's most 2020 runs ever.   Every other model allows the NErly flow @ 500mb to capture it and pull it SW across central America. GFS showed that a few runs ago but now changed it's mind.    I think it's a fugiwara effect with a convective blob to the north that's preventing it from being pulled SW but I'm open to other suggestions.   Probably nothing like this verifies. 

wBOQGy8.gif

• Like 1

Banding on the south side of evident mid-level cyclonic rotation. Still no certainty of a vortex down at the surface but with that strong convective band aligned west to east and curving into the MCS, I have seen far worse classified a Tropical Depression. Getting a little impatient. We do not have any recon flight plans yet.

e0f20d1570b935364289d5da736d7e94.gif&key=fa9557b8f1c71cd375dd0e0f280f3d569d82d3f268da65e7881b8fa144ab5885

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Banding on the south side of evident mid-level cyclonic rotation. Still no certainty of a vortex down at the surface but with that strong convective band aligned west to east and curving into the MCS, I have seen far worse classified a Tropical Depression. Getting a little impatient. We do not have any recon flight plans yet.

emoji848.png

e0f20d1570b935364289d5da736d7e94.gif&key=fa9557b8f1c71cd375dd0e0f280f3d569d82d3f268da65e7881b8fa144ab5885

Has the TD look for sure!

There now looks to be a closed surface vortex under that mid-level canopy. Clear low-level cumulus are streaking ESE and eastward now within the cloud field, a sign low-level westerlies are increasing. Still no good recent ASCAT. We'll see if we get a better one this afternoon, but a spade is a spade.d745c63878753b74be557f5d3669f27e.gif&key=93f7f6c15033e737e14f2e5f89a4b2c4512d07783cd374eb2b4a28b92de5716a

• Like 1