Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29-30 snow threat

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Are the stars somewhat aligning?  

Really far out to say with confidence. But, I think it's reasonable for areas of NNE down to interior MA to keep an eye on things for sure. I didn't say CT since I think confidence is lower there...but I wouldn't rule anything out for inland CT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Cold bias...?  Didn’t it always seem to have a warm bias?  

the older version did (at least in like the boundary layer area)...the new version had a horrific cold bias...think it was really bad two years ago when it came out though there was some improvement last year. Not sure if any improvement had been done with it though. I want to say yes the GFS was hitting ice potential hard in OK/northern TX for several days and seems to be pretty accurate. I know last year it would go crazy with icing events 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Really far out to say with confidence. But, I think it's reasonable for areas of NNE down to interior MA to keep an eye on things for sure. I didn't say CT since I think confidence is lower there...but I wouldn't rule anything out for inland CT.

Oh ya..understood for sure. Thanks. 

yeah... re the phasing - 

I still see this as a fascinating exercise in the models attempting to do so through an unusually narrow N-S region of the hypsometric medium.   It's a fast flow/progressive scenario with superb timing - which is crucially the handling that needs to be done the right way to get to these solutions... if the south outpaces the north just a little more it's ripped open ravioli - 

That UKMET solution is an NJ Model bomb technically ... as is the GGEM trying to move in that direction -  ... NJ model lows tend to affect narrower regions but this one also has a smearing into NN because there's jet enhancing in the N stream ...  lot happening there

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks too tucked, unless its stacked?

It's quickly collapsing SE at that point...prob changes most of SNE over to snow quickly after that frame. The detailed maps are not out yet on pivotal though so I can't see it. But even a pretty far west amped solution is going to produce some snow. We want the happy medium of amped, but not obscenely tucked west, which I'm less afraid of in this super fast pattern than I am of something hideously sheered.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's quickly collapsing SE at that point...prob changes most of SNE over to snow quickly after that frame. The detailed maps are not out yet on pivotal though so I can't see it. But even a pretty far west amped solution is going to produce some snow. We want the happy medium of amped, but not obscenely tucked west, which I'm less afraid of in this super fast pattern than I am of something hideously sheered.

Jesus...may have to break from the winter outlook to tackle pre-winter shenanigans....that would be a first.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Damn the Ukie is frigid.

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

People undoubtedly getting gassed up for what will likely be a disappointment. 

I’d feel pretty good if I was in dendrites area... but further south... good Rainer maybe ended as some flakes would be my guess, especially south of the pike. Maybe north has a shot at some minor accums.

Definitely. Mid-levels look best further N but I would not rule out a changeover in SNE, especially the hills.

Yeah that ukie solution is a little far northwest for SNE to maximize the snowfall but it gets squeezed so quickly, that it would still give a flash over and prob 1-2" for a chunk of SNE....while CNE/NNE would get warning snows out of that. You get a compromise solution of the Ukie and some of the further SE guidance, that's when the alarm bells would go off for SNE peeps.