Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Oct 29-30 snow threat

Typhoon Tip

54 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You're welcome to change it, since you are now technically the thread starter.  Ray initially started it, but when I merged the previous posts, whomever's posts was first chronologically in other thread, makes them the 1st post in the thread.

The thread title poses a question and doesn't even focus on the system, i get it's a joke lol but this thread is in ADD land. 

How bout "Friday October 30 storm, Can it snow"

21 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah agreed. Although, given all the circumstances with this including a tropical...that certainly could change one way or another.

Yeah, The tropical connection may play the wild card in all this in the end, Its a tricky situation, Being early on, Rooting for something more amped then modeled to track more NNE, A weaker scenario would shift this south and more suppressed.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Watch the ULL as this gets closer

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12z GFS looks a little more phased at hr 96 compared to hr 102 of the 6z run. The lead weaker s/w from Zeta zips out quick, but a piece of energy diving in at that time tries to phase with the bowling ball that is moving up from the south. I'd like to see that really blow up the low as it exits stage right. I believe it's the better chance for snow in SNE. 

Yeah it feels counter-intuitive at first glance to want the ULL more amped for better snow in SNE, but I think that would produce more snow ultimately than a flatter solution. Yeah, it might initially shove the precip pretty far N and NW, but as it gets squeezed, you'd see the R/S line collapse very quickly SE and probably produce a really intense area of frontogenesis over SNE before it exits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it feels counter-intuitive at first glance to want the ULL more amped for better snow in SNE, but I think that would produce more snow ultimately than a flatter solution. Yeah, it might initially shove the precip pretty far N and NW, but as it gets squeezed, you'd see the R/S line collapse very quickly SE and probably produce a really intense area of frontogenesis over SNE before it exits.

Yeah exactly.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Icon ULL is what we would want. GFS just missed a phase with energy dropping out of Canada

gfs_DTpres_us_18.png

GGEM kind of shows what I was just discussing with Ginx and Scott.

You can see the southern stream bowling ball gets more involved with the northenr stream here and by the time that happens, take a look a H85....it's over...the outcome is cemented from that point. Everything collapses SE. Thats close to what you are looking for in a snowier solution. Maybe even more wrapped up as it goes south of us, but that is the idea. 

Oct26_12zGGEM90_H5.png

Oct26_12zGGEM90_H85.png

I was wondering whether the GFS cold bias is still a thing, but the position/strength of that high plus the track of the sfc low would certainly lock in some pretty impressive llvl cold. Would also be one helluva fronto band...may even be able to get some pretty decent dynamic cooling too...and down to the sfc. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I was wondering whether the GFS cold bias is still a thing, but the position/strength of that high plus the track of the sfc low would certainly lock in some pretty impressive llvl cold. Would also be one helluva fronto band...may even be able to get some pretty decent dynamic cooling too...and down to the sfc. 

Cold bias...?  Didn’t it always seem to have a warm bias?