Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
remnants of zeta and potential first flakes for some areas

forkyfork

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Euro sagged southward with the biggest amts-yesterday's 12z had 3-4 inches of rain for most of us, now it's about 2 inches with 1-2 further morth.  The 4 inch amts are now in the DELMARVA

Yeah, the SE Ridge is slightly weaker than 24 hours ago in the forecasts. So the the phase is a little slower with 2 more distinct areas of low pressure. We could still see our first flakes of the season.

New run

DA25D962-AE0C-4457-8AC2-0D4169686486.thumb.png.82b79b361d3204aa2964dbb642a2985e.png

old run

3ACB5265-8B91-45F7-BF47-BB7ABA8C658D.thumb.png.252581a388c4dc0aac0e6515868ce3ef.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the SE Ridge is slightly weaker than 24 hours ago in the forecasts. So the the phase is a little slower with 2 more distinct areas of low pressure. We could still see our first flakes of the season.

New run

DA25D962-AE0C-4457-8AC2-0D4169686486.thumb.png.82b79b361d3204aa2964dbb642a2985e.png

old run

3ACB5265-8B91-45F7-BF47-BB7ABA8C658D.thumb.png.252581a388c4dc0aac0e6515868ce3ef.png

Temps in the mid to upper 30s. Maybe our 1st flakes?

5f98071e19d9f.png

14 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

wow Central Park didn't reach freezing in October 2011 despite getting three inches of snow?!

I dont think LGA got any in that storm?

yup..I remember getting down to about 34, with 4" of snow/slop on grassy surfaces, trees etc. with an inch or 2 on pavement at times when it came down really hard. The heavy snow was relentless that's the only way it managed to acclumate. I couldn't believe my eyes, especially the tress mostly still full of green leaves covered in snow. Then it was gone soon after it stopped. It seem like over a foot of snow fell if it were able to all stick. One of the more surreal weather experiences, before I knew what the decade ahead had in store.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

In the lower elevations of the Catskills I can't bargain myself seeing more than maybe a few slushy inches before things end Friday morning. Nonetheless flakes are a win this early on, solid advisory event setting up for elevations 

I think you and @snywx will be pleasantly surprised

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

In the lower elevations of the Catskills I can't bargain myself seeing more than maybe a few slushy inches before things end Friday morning. Nonetheless flakes are a win this early on, solid advisory event setting up for elevations 

1 hour ago, sferic said:

I think you and @snywx will be pleasantly surprised

I think flakes for all N of 84 on friday morning.. Accumulation will prob be for those above 750'. Anyone above 1500' like MSV could see some advisory snows. Still plenty of time for it to be a dud. 

13 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

The NHC wind probability map is showing ~20% chance for 40 mph 1-minute sustained winds, and ~5% for 60 mph for the nyc area. Seems a little high too me, unless the models have trending stronger with the wind potential. That combined with the 2-4" of rain might cause some issues

image.thumb.png.ed51fbb18565ceb9e3c754c7034f9e85.png

• Thanks 2

Please see NHC and local NWS forecasts on Zeta associated wind and coastal flooding. 

Overall: modeling just doesn't seem to want to develop a significant trailer low near the NJ coast Friday morning due to waning structure of the current ejecting southern Rockies low aloft. This lessens chances of decent secondary Friday morning event...doesn't end it (in my mind) but doesn't look as good as days previous. Still a chance but not the likely solution.

My expectation: 

If 4" rain were to occur, probably Ocean County southward.  Otherwise possible 3" amounts or greater should be reserved for the region s of I80 including LI.

Killer freeze I80 northward Friday evening-especially early Saturday, with a killer freeze possible most of the rest of our area except LI, NJ shore. Chance of a  Low temp of 32 NYC Friday-Saturday appears much lower now and probably not happening.  (00z/28 UK appears colder than the EC Friday-early Sat)

As per prior Bluewave post---shortest period between Trace snow in NYC possible for Friday mid-late morning early afternoon. (Maybe a Trace of snow in the air next Monday Nov 2 as well?)

Accumulative snow of 1-3" appears "possible" for high terrain N of I80, with even up to 1/4 inch near the city in NJ (grass-cars-roofs) but this possibility still has options for being less 

Gust 50 MPH possible e LI Friday morning-early afternoon but probably capped ~45 MPH (air temps 35-40F northerly flow advection over adjacent warm water near 60F)

Minor coastal flooding seems probable with the Friday morning high tide NJ coast (did not check NY).  Stevens and ETSS available guidance is a little higher than 2-3 days ago. 

Finally:  To give us snow lovers hope...have added two graphics from the SPC SREF (plumes).  You can decide what you like from these. I'm playing it conservative this morning. Maybe these means (Dark black line) will be right.... but am not convinced of that much. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 5.36.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 5.37.14 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I have to learn not to get emotionally involved until storms are in progress. You'd think that after all these years of weenie weather watching I'd have learned but no... :) 

LOL.  In all honesty if this is happening to you and me(cant lie) will we survive come a month or two down the line?:lol::weenie:.  good ol rainstorm, I’ll take that over nothing.

• Like 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic