Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Zeta

Windspeed

13 minutes ago, Calderon said:

Surge now coming over much of Hwy 90 in Biloxi. There's that fast water rise they've all talked about.

Makes sense the water would rise fast in a quick moving storm. In my town during Sandy the water rose VERY fast as the storm was still moving NW at 25 mph into Atlantic City. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

Both Waveland and Gulfport MS gusting over 90 mph— not something many would have predicted this morning. 

I figured SW MS would gettting some strong winds being in the SE quad, especially once it intensified. With the fast movement this is going to be a fairly significant inland wind event as well ( as has been talked about).

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

I figured SW MS would gettting some strong winds being in the SE quad, especially once it intensified. With the fast movement this is going to be a fairly significant inland wind event as well ( as has been talked about).

And add Biloxi to the list. A Cat 1 hurricane would not likely be generating 90+ mph gusts in numerous sites 4 hours after landfall across a west to east swath of coastline. Yes, the strengthening was key. 

• Like 3

It's a closed circulation. There will be winds on the backside, there sure were for Isaias and I have video of it. They won't show on radar. Radar relies on bouncing off water droplets and inferring vectors based on the returns. No rain, no return velocities. Does not mean there are not winds in the trunk. Weaker bc subtracting the speed of the storm instead of adding & no mix down from aloft. 40-60 is likely inland on back. 

MU

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

It's a closed circulation. There will be winds on the backside, there sure were for Isaias and I have video of it. They won't show on radar. Radar relies on bouncing off water droplets and inferring vectors based on the returns. No rain, no return velocities. Does not mean there are not winds in the trunk. Weaker bc subtracting the speed of the storm instead of adding & no mix down from aloft. 40-50 is likely inland on back. 

MU

We had plenty of wind here on the right side of Isaias with only a few showers total east of the center with hundreds of thousands of power outages/trees down, strong winds behind Irene 2011 with the sun coming out, etc. Sometimes the winds behind the center even without rain can be as strong as the front end. Up here the dry air and rapidly increasing pressure have something to do with it usually. 

• Like 2

The slower phasing of the mid latitude low than forecast seems to have ended up reducing shear and instead helped to enhance upper level divergence. This baroclinic interaction seems to be responsible for why we saw such rapid strengthening today despite marginal water temps. Looking at the totality of data coming in, I think this will be post mortem upgraded to cat 3. I'm in disbelief. It has held together well as it travels inland as well. It's weakening but frankly not as fast as you'd perhaps think. It's still firing -80 degree convection in a symmetrical fashion OVER LAND. It made landfall 4 hours ago. Doesn't it know it's not over an ocean??? Talk about exceeding expectations. Who had Cat 3 landfalling end of October hurricane in NOLA on their 2020 bingo card?

MU

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hlcater said:

Most north moving gulf storms have weak/non-existent south sides. I remember when people thought Michael was remarkable because it was the exception to the rule. Not only that, take a look at environment/synoptics and a half-a-cane absolutely makes sense.

The interesting thing about Zeta and also Sally from earlier this year was that the "half-a-cane" structure was really only apparent on radar. The IR and visible presentations looked quite vigorous all the way around, in contrast to storms like Katrina and Irma (for its Marco Island landfall) where the back sides became noticeably degraded on satellite in the last hours before landfall.