Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Zeta

Windspeed

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

what time is high tide?

10:37 pm

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=8761724&legacy=1

The wind has shifted in the past 30 minutes or so. It was coming almost in straight in but now from the right. I do not know the direction of the cam. The water has gone down quite a bit.
https://irgir.click2stream.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f2tornado said:

Strongest radar echo about to hit the skyscrapers downtown NOLA. Can add an SS category for those winds. Bourbon Street cam doesn't look too crazy yet.

Do you know which way that cam faces? I've been trying to figure that out. I'm at the office right now and can't tune into the weather channel to see what they're reporting.

Also, aggregation of the now-occurring damage see twitter nws nola:

https://twitter.com/nwsneworleans?fbclid=IwAR0y3rGWbG_B7bN8U77WgY7I0HyFqCrqvXLUqDy84gOq8cgNjfEyWncIctY

Just now, Prospero said:

Seems like a treat for it to be still daylight during landfall. One of the better storms to watch this season.

It also  got onshore fast and didn't build up hours of suspense.   I like watching  storm chases that just cut to the chase.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Can someone please explain the 'bands'? It seems that these storms have a structure, but why does it develop in bands?

So, basically it has to do with the convective structure of the storm. From the eye, air twists upwards and circulates outwards in a divergent pattern. Surrounding concentric rings of convection form because certain regions concentrate momentum and energy. Imagine a bunch of big vertically oriented ovals. Air rises, is ejected outwards, and then descends further away from the center of circulation. This creates alternating regions of rising and sinking air motion. The stronger the storm, the more well organized, curved, and structured, these bands get.

MU

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am going to guess the hurricane.

You're surely right, but the images until they went dead were of a garden variety thunderstorm, nothing massive or damaging.

The potted plants along the balconies were doing fine and the barricades in front of construction were not moving.

3 minutes ago, etudiant said:

You're surely right, but the images until they went dead were of a garden variety thunderstorm, nothing massive or damaging.

The potted plants along the balconies were doing fine and the barricades in front of construction were not moving.

I am thinking that spot was heavily sheltered.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am thinking that spot was heavily sheltered.

Bourbon St in the French Quarter is pretty much the highest ground in NOLA afaik.  Guess they just got lucky.

In any case, the cameras are back on and the winds appear to have died down, presumably the eye passing.