Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Zeta

Windspeed

6 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Is that normal?  I haven't been tracking hurricanes long but it seems like every hurricane this year had an open/weak south side as it moved north onto the gulf shore.

It's a little odd with Zeta because although there's some warming of cloud tops on the south side it's nothing like you usually see when the south side of a storm falls apart.

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

Most north moving gulf storms have weak/non-existent south sides. I remember when people thought Michael was remarkable because it was the exception to the rule. Not only that, take a look at environment/synoptics and a half-a-cane absolutely makes sense.

Lots of dry air being entrained into the south side. These half dried out type of N Gulf coast landfalls are much more common than an exploder like Michael. Dennis, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, etc etc. 

8 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Strongest winds are on the East/SE side right? They (N.O.) should miss the strongest winds I think. Places like Belle Chasse i think get whacked pretty good i think,

The eyewall is headed right for the city and if anything the center may go just west of downtown. Not sure how the city misses much of anything windwise. They're in for the full impacts.

• Like 2