Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
“Let’s Talk Winter!

Steve

1 hour ago, Gino27 said:

The next few days look like end of winter's death grip that we've been seeing the last few weeks. Next week will feel really warm as we could tap into the upper 40s. With that taste of early spring we'll prob have snow in April and freezing temps in to mid-May like last year lol.

TBH, I'm ready for Spring. As I get older the less and less I enjoy snow and cold. Especially cold.

5 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

Idk about that. I don't know how one system could depress the SE ridge (that will inevitably show up) for the whole month of march. By mid month we should be looking at close to 50 for highs. That would be an epic cold outbreak to keep us that cold for the whole month.

48 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

Idk about that. I don't know how one system could depress the SE ridge (that will inevitably show up) for the whole month of march. By mid month we should be looking at close to 50 for highs. That would be an epic cold outbreak to keep us that cold for the whole month.

He blocked me years ago for doubting him for giving storm and snow calls like 10 days out.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherzen said:

Am I wrong in thinking it's been a few years since we've had snow cover in Columbus for this long? Seems like the glacier in my backyard might hang tough through next week if we don't go too far above freezing. 

I'd say Jan 2014 would be the last time we had consecutive weeks with decent snow cover, that year it was for the whole month, not just 2 - 2 1/2 weeks.

Looks like the fat lady has approached the microphone for winter 2020-2021.   Every indice I've seen is showing a warm signal moving ahead thru March.   I might be a little early here but even if we don't see another flake of snow, I'm giving this winter an B+/A-.     It's all relative but here are my thoughts,

-Christmas eve/day snow

-Multi-week snow cover

-Avoided insanely cold temps

-Insane block allowed us to avoid cutter city (considering it was a nina winter)

-Yea, I know....what about the sleet storm and what could have been?  Oh well, was still our first winterstorm in awhile and was fun to track.  Granted, had that been all snow I might have had to go with an A+ .

-Let's not forget, we would have killed for similar  stuff the last few winters.....as I said, it's all relative.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Looks like the fat lady has approached the microphone for winter 2020-2021.   Every indice I've seen is showing a warm signal moving ahead thru March.   I might be a little early here but even if we don't see another flake of snow, I'm giving this winter an B+/A-.     It's all relative but here are my thoughts,

-Christmas eve/day snow

-Multi-week snow cover

-Insane block allowed us to avoid cutter city (considering it was a nina winter)

-Yea, I know....what about the sleet storm and what could have been?  Oh well, was still our first winterstorm in awhile and was fun to track.  Granted, had that been all snow I might have had to go with an A+ .

-Let's not forget, we would have killed for similar  stuff the last few winters.....as I said, it's all relative.

Agreed on the summary if the warmth plays out...particularly these two points 

-Multi-week snow cover

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

-Christmas eve/day snow

-Multi-week snow cover

Weren't the indices all torching in Late January, for February prior to this cold and snow outbreak??  I remember every outlook for February as above to much above normal.  We'll see I guess.  

34 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Weren't the indices all torching in Late January, for February prior to this cold and snow outbreak??  I remember every outlook for February as above to much above normal.  We'll see I guess.  

We had a neg nao/ao and epo.   MJO was in warm phase and the pna was negative though.   Looking ahead though, there really isn't any indice that points to cold.   Ao, nao, epo, all positive and pna neg.  MJO still circling in COD or warm

I can't think of a better winter than this year realistically. Early start, Christmas storm, some awesome squalls, 2-3 big storms to track, 12" depth, and no extreme cold. Now add an early-ish warmup (not torch) with a slower snow melt to avoid flooding concerns, we're in a good spot. Big busts will happen, especially with our location/climate. Learn from them and move on.

Edit: we also never had an all out mid-winter torch

5 hours ago, buckeye said:

-Christmas eve/day snow

-Multi-week snow cover

Well,

I'm very much a reader here, rarely a poster.  Therefore I will add one more positive to this winter.  We did see the return of Buckeye.  Nice to see that.  Hasta

• Like 4

On 2/22/2021 at 3:33 PM, Angrysummons said:

Average snow, average temps. Average winter.

Agree. Too much credit given to the Christmas snow. If not for that this winter would be a D+ for me. Instead it's a C. Lol. I mean we only had 2 decent snows all winter. Is that our standard now just because the snow stuck around? Only 3 systems to track in a 3 month period and 2 of them panning out and the other a historical bust... C winter and that's only cause of Christmas and longevity of snow lasting.

Further did cmh even reach its average for snowfall on the winter?

On 2/25/2021 at 10:39 AM, dilly84 said:

Agree. Too much credit given to the Christmas snow. If not for that this winter would be a D+ for me. Instead it's a C. Lol. I mean we only had 2 decent snows all winter. Is that our standard now just because the snow stuck around? Only 3 systems to track in a 3 month period and 2 of them panning out and the other a historical bust... C winter and that's only cause of Christmas and longevity of snow lasting.

Further did cmh even reach its average for snowfall on the winter?

It's all relative and perception....and of course personal preference.   But you kind of make my first point by asking if we've even hit normal snowfall yet when we are currently about 30% above normal.   

Our climo is such that typically we nickle and dime our way to normal with light snowfalls that disappear in a few days....every once in awhile we get a true snowstorm thrown in there.  

What are CMH's chances of not only having a white Christmas, but having accumulating snow on Xmas Eve and day?   What are our chances of having a solid snow cover with intermittent refresher for more than 2 weeks?  Those two things happen rarely but even more rarely in the same winter.   The winter storm sucked if you're a snow stat lover,  but it was still a disruptive winter storm that was fun to track and gave us a bulletproof snow cover.

I think we romanticize and exaggerate past winters....I know I'm guilty of that.   I think its because we tend to lump events and memorable times together instead of looking at them for what they were, isolated events often spread out by years.   

All that being said winter 77-78 was the benchmark A+ winter in my lifetime for many different reasons not just the blizzard.

I could probably be arm twisted into dropping to a B+ if we don't see another flake,  but for now I'll stick by my A-.  (I don't want to insult the weather Gods :lol:) .   I suspect with your standards we may all be dead before a Dilly-B rated or above winter happens again ;)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buckeye said:

It's all relative and perception....and of course personal preference.   But you kind of make my first point by asking if we've even hit normal snowfall yet when we are currently about 30% above normal.   

Our climo is such that typically we nickle and dime our way to normal with light snowfalls that disappear in a few days....every once in awhile we get a true snowstorm thrown in there.  

What are CMH's chances of not only having a white Christmas, but having accumulating snow on Xmas Eve and day?   What are our chances of having a solid snow cover with intermittent refresher for more than 2 weeks?  Those two things happen rarely but even more rarely in the same winter.   The winter storm sucked if you're a snow stat lover,  but it was still a disruptive winter storm that was fun to track and gave us a bulletproof snow cover.

I think we romanticize and exaggerate past winters....I know I'm guilty of that.   I think its because we tend to lump events and memorable times together instead of looking at them for what they were, isolated events often spread out by years.   

All that being said winter 77-78 was the benchmark A+ winter in my lifetime for many different reasons not just the blizzard.

I could probably be arm twisted into dropping to a B+ if we don't see another flake,  but for now I'll stick by my A-.  (I don't want to insult the weather Gods :lol:) .   I suspect with your standards we may all be dead before a Dilly-B rated or above winter happens again ;)

The Christmas snow was special b/c it actually happened on xmas eve/day. That may never happen again in our lifetime (unless you are in your 20s). If it wasn’t for that boring stretch in all of January, this winter probably was an A in my book. So I’ll go with a solid B.

You know me, always reminiscing of yesteryear & my days on the east coast where we got real snowstorms. They did quite well again, Philly north to NY, this year. Around here, if we don’t score a true clipper train for a time in winter, generally it’s not a great winter & we get stuck praying we don’t get the WTOD with storms.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

The Christmas snow was special b/c it actually happened on xmas eve/day. That may never happen again in our lifetime (unless you are in your 20s). If it wasn’t for that boring stretch in all of January, this winter probably was an A in my book. So I’ll go with a solid B.

You know me, always reminiscing of yesteryear & my days on the east coast where we got real snowstorms. They did quite well again, Philly north to NY, this year. Around here, if we don’t score a true clipper train for a time in winter, generally it’s not a great winter & we get stuck praying we don’t get the WTOD with storms.

The clipper drought in recent years has definitely been strange. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, buckeye said:

This is part of what gets me. I started following the weather around 2008 and the 2008-2015 period had some pretty epic winters. In that sense I think we're all a bit spoiled.

• Like 1