Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
“Let’s Talk Winter!

Steve

1 minute ago, buckeye said:

Yea that one last year sucked but we did get some redemption towards the end.  That was more of a dryslot situation where we ended up with hours of drizzle.  This one looks to have pretty heavy rates with the main low coming in.

I measured something crazy like .8" liquid and then 5" of snow. What could've been lol. Ever since we lost Chris Bradley we just haven't had anything nice.

3 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

I was on some of the weather forums going back to Weather.com and NEwx.  Around 1995-96 I think was the first big winter I remember doing that.

I think my progression was TWC...Wright Weather....eastern....AmWx.  

Back in the day we didn't have geographic subforums....  The storm threads were like the wild west :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buckeye said:

I think my progression was TWC...Wright Weather....eastern....AmWx.  

Back in the day we didn't have geographic subforums....  The storm threads were like the wild west :lol:

I dabbled on WW for a time as well.  I didn't post much those days- not that I'm super prolific now.  

Yeah, it was a total sh*tshow back then.  

1 hour ago, dilly84 said:

Did. Learn to read. Sorry, too marginal, don't buy it. I'll burn with the ship if need be. No way sleet gets to I71/I70

Screenshot_20210214-234130_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-234302_Chrome.jpg

I know how to read and no matter how marginal it is thats a decently deep section of the atmosphere near or slightly above freezing. You don't need some honking warm layer at +2 or greater to get sleet. Not sure why you are defensive of an explanation as to why you are going to get sleet.

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How much would it even matter anyway?  If the temperature profile actually looks like that, the flake quality would be piss poor/rimed and likely result in a period of inefficient accumulation, until it cools off.

On another note, welcome back buckeye.  I have a special place in my heart for the original members of the boards, of which he is one.  Left, right, whatever, it doesn't matter, because the common passion for weather trumps all in my book.

Good point as well.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

I know how to read and no matter how marginal it is thats a decently deep section of the atmosphere near or slightly above freezing. You don't need some honking warm layer at +2 or greater to get sleet. Not sure why you are defensive of an explanation as to why you are going to get sleet.

Was defensive because of the "read a sounding" maybe you don't realize it but most here "hey idiot, read something" lol. It's all good. 

1 minute ago, Gino27 said:

I'm well west of that location too and was going off of Dilly saying Apple Valley on his tag. Not really worried about this one. Been through enough of these nail-biters in the OHV. Just let it happen and might get lucky.

Yep you should still do fine anyways.

• Like 1

Anyone want to change their calls?  First round underperformed I think, not that it was supposed to be much.  Most of the models now have the mixing line reaching 71.  As mentioned last night, I thought Columbus might bust too high because of that danger.  I had them at 8.5", but now thinking no more than maybe 7".  Still something to watch, but yeah, you can't beat climo too often in these situations.

12 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

Anyone want to change their calls?  First round underperformed I think, not that it was supposed to be much.  Most of the models now have the mixing line reaching 71.  As mentioned last night, I thought Columbus might bust too high because of that danger.  I had them at 8.5", but now thinking no more than maybe 7".  Still something to watch, but yeah, you can't beat climo too often in these situations.

Trends overnight not good

6 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

No changing in the middle .....got to ride the calls come pellets or pingers!   I'm sticking to mine.   

If the precip comes in as heavy snow, I think it'll stay mainly snow.  If it let's up in intensity then it could changeover.

14 minutes ago, buckeye said:

No changing in the middle .....got to ride the calls come pellets or pingers!   I'm sticking to mine.   

If the precip comes in as heavy snow, I think it'll stay mainly snow.  If it let's up in intensity then it could changeover.

I agree with you about it staying snow if it hits as heavy snow, but I can't discount the possibility of a classic Central Ohio bust.  It's happened too many times with too many heartbreaks.  The fact that the first round has mostly missed to the west is a bad sign.

Just now, jbcmh81 said:

I agree with you about it staying snow if it hits as heavy snow, but I can't discount the possibility of a classic Central Ohio bust.  It's happened too many times with too many heartbreaks.

I was trying to recall the last time we were forecasted to get heavy snow and it turned into a sleetfest and I keep going back to Feb 2007, but I'm sure we've had it happen since then.   I remember that one because we were forecasted to get a foot the morning of the storm... It was a huge screw job.

10 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

I know it’s nowcasting time, but 12z NAM went further NW

I don't know if the low moved further NW, but it is showing the mixing line a bit further NW, so yeah.  Same result.  Still the warmest model.  Low through central WV looks most likely, with mix at or near 71.  It's going to be really close and will be the difference between 4"-6" totals and 8"-12" totals.  

9 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

I don't know if the low moved further NW, but it is showing the mixing line a bit further NW, so yeah.  Same result.  Still the warmest model.  Low through central WV looks most likely, with mix at or near 71.  It's going to be really close and will be the difference between 4"-6" totals and 8"-12" totals.  

Gotta ride the old, “If you want the heavy snow, you gotta smell the rain!”