Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
“Let’s Talk Winter!

Steve

13 hours ago, Steve said:

Looks to be kinda boring the first week of 2021.... Can’t really complain...we have had three snows and about 13 inches of snow... hopefully we can over perform into January and February!

6.5" IMBY so far, 4.25" in the first storm in Dec., we're planning on going to the Hocking Hills on Sat the 15th which is normally when they put on the annual winter hike, that's cancelled for this year, but the park will still be open (no bussing people back from Ash Cave to Old Man's Cave). Maybe cold and snow will hit by then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steve said:

This weekend could be interesting.... could we finally break this boring 4 week snow drought?

Indeed. Does anyone know or can find out the last time we had a Winter Storm Warning in central OH? I know we’ve had Watches but I think it may be 2015/16 since we had a Warning. 

23 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

1/19/19 was a fairly noteworthy bust within 12 hours for south of US 36. So I’d argue the WSW drought is longer than 738 days. 

Yeah for sure. 1/19/19 looked like an easy 8"-12" north of I-70. I got 6" with 1.4" of liquid that day. What could've been....

I'm pretty sure the last warning before that verified would've been 3/1/2015 with a WSW upgrade during the storm, and the 2/1/19 clipper got close to warning criteria with high ratios. However, he last true watch turned warning that met criteria was 2/21/15. That's 2,166 days. ugh...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

Yeah for sure. 1/19/19 looked like an easy 8"-12" north of I-70. I got 6" with 1.4" of liquid that day. What could've been....

I'm pretty sure the last warning before that verified would've been 3/1/2015 with a WSW upgrade during the storm, and the 2/1/19 clipper got close to warning criteria with high ratios. However, he last true watch turned warning that met criteria was 2/21/15. That's 2,166 days. ugh...

That is unreal! I knew it felt longer. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

Good recall on those dates...

6” was at least a decent recovery for the 1/19/19 storm for YBY, I think I ended up with 4.5” IMBY all from the ULL after sunset. I felt pretty scorned over that bust. 

2/1/19 was a nice, over-performing clipper. I didn’t officially measure, but I recall eyeballing close to 5.5-6”. 

Yes our climate isn’t friendly to 6”+ storms, but going 6 years between confirmed WSWs is brutal. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Good recall on those dates...

6” was at least a decent recovery for the 1/19/19 storm for YBY, I think I ended up with 4.5” IMBY all from the ULL after sunset. I felt pretty scorned over that bust. 

2/1/19 was a nice, over-performing clipper. I didn’t officially measure, but I recall eyeballing close to 5.5-6”. 

Yes our climate isn’t friendly to 6”+ storms, but going 6 years between confirmed WSWs is brutal. 

Yeah our climo sure doesn't do us any favors. On 1/19/19 I changed over to snow pretty early being that I'm up in Union county. I forgot about the 2/20/19 big thump event that put around 4-5" in the city and over 6" in parts of Madison county, but was only a WWA. Central Ohio certainly struggles with the tougher warning criteria that almost everyone in the Lakes, Plains, and Northeast has, but with crappy climo.

5 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

I'm trying to be very cautious with this. We've seen these trend north and go warm within 48 hours a million times.

Hard to get excited for sure b/c of all the let downs around here. I believe an old friend (Buckeye) used to say that we can do well with these types of setups with the front end thump. Fingers crossed!

Just now, pondo1000 said:

Hard to get excited for sure b/c of all the let downs around here. I believe an old friend (Buckeye) used to say that we can do well with these types of setups with the front end thump. Fingers crossed!

Yeah for sure. I think the thump is good regardless. Now whether or nor we are cold enough for the ULL stuff will be the difference between 2-4 inches and a major storm.

• Like 1