Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

My 4 years in Ithaca NY were like that. Of course, it drives you mad after a while because it snows for like 2 weeks straight and you have about 3” on the ground to show for it. :lol:

Your last/my first year on the hill delivered though. That's still the only 100" season at any placed I've lived. 

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

My 4 years in Ithaca NY were like that. Of course, it drives you mad after a while because it snows for like 2 weeks straight and you have about 3” on the ground to show for it. :lol:

That's exactly it. Half the time it's just mood flakes. That's what happens when you live downwind of the Lakes. And lake effect snow compacts way to quickly. Not a huge fan. One time we got 6" in <2 hours in Dec 2017 and in 2 days it compacted to 2" despite temperatures <20F. 

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Your last/my first year on the hill delivered though. That's still the only 100" season at any placed I've lived. 

I was taking a winter session class that year so I was actually there for the Jan 3-4 storm which gave ITH like 15”...one of only 2 synoptic storms over 10” while I was there (actually maybe PDII barely got there too)....the other was March 4-6, 2001 but that literally took like 3 days to get 16” so I almost don’t count that one. Lol. 

We did get a great streamer my freshman year on the backside of the Jan 25, 2000 bust. We had like 7-8” in 4 hours behind that storm. So the “total” was like 13” but we used LES for more than half of it. 

8 hours ago, weathafella said:

I was there September 1965-May 1969.  Blizzard of ‘66 was amazing!  Generally deep snow belly to belly in winter back then.

You were there for some excellent storms. Feb ‘66 was epic there. 

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'm hoping it doesn't migrate back though. The weeklies yesterday had it planting over AK for pretty much all of December. Weeklies can obviously be wrong (they've had some brutal stretches this year, including back in January), but you'd like to see the ensembles continue the trend over the next week.

I'd like to see at least one transient ridge shoot up into Bering/AK just to get Canada reloaded. It's pretty torched. It could use a refresh. The PNA ridging would be a lot more effective with a fresh cold dump prior to it. But beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Overnight looks like more of a trend to have the Pv move west of AK in the extended. Hopefully this allows for the pac puke to be flushed from Canada. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Overnight looks like more of a trend to have the Pv move west of AK in the extended. Hopefully this allows for the pac puke to be flushed from Canada. 

It will take awhile. Looked like the trough was lifting out......perhaps eventually being replaced by dateline ridging if we do get forcing into the maritime continent. That would get Canada cold, but also force a SE ridge perhaps at some point in December. Tough to say and always dangerous to extrapolate.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It will take awhile. Looked like the trough was lifting out......perhaps eventually being replaced by dateline ridging if we do get forcing into the maritime continent. That would get Canada cold, but also force a SE ridge perhaps at some point in December. Tough to say and always dangerous to extrapolate.

Last 3 or 4 frames on EPS were encouraging. You could see this big height rise starting near AK/Aleutians. 

• Like 1