Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

When ninas have poor Decembers winters tend to be shitty.

Yes. Very few rebound from a crap December. 1955-56 did. You could argue ‘71-72 as well but that one had the big Tday snowstorm over the interior before the crap December. 

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s hanging off my deck.... so like 15 feet up to so?

That seems awfully cold for 15’ up. Is it one with those white sensors you screw in? I ask because I find they radiate and make it a few cooler than reality. I had that with mine before my Davis.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That seems awfully cold for 15’ up. Is it one with those white sensors you screw in? I ask because I find they radiate and make it a few cooler than reality. I had that with mine before my Davis.

It’s one of those like 5-1 things where everything is built in and you just mount it to something with a bracket. It’s possible it could be a tad cool... but my yard is kind of sunken in lower than the rest of the hood by a few feet so who knows.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s one of those like 5-1 things where everything is built in and you just mount it to something with a bracket. It’s possible it could be a tad cool... but my yard is kind of sunken in lower than the rest of the hood by a few feet so who knows.

Yeah I don’t doubt you’re a sink there given your locale. One way to know is to see how you run with KTAN when it’s cloudy. But yeah you’re a radiator for sure. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still a crap Pacific, but that trough almost starts to act a little like an Aleutian trough with split flow towards the end. Still mild overall, but could sneak an interior or NNE deal if timed right. 

GEFS started showing some promise out in early December....EPS were a little uglier, but better than 12z.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

That’s 15 days out...how much reliability does that actually have though?  Should we be more apt to believe this look at day 15, cuz it shows  something bad for us snow peeps? 

And If it were looking really good at day 15 on the EPS ...should we be less apt to believe it, cuz it shows something good? 

Seems like that’s how we seem to lean many times...?

after the last  couple of years, I'd rather it look bad and then let  it get better...psychologically at  least.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GEFS started showing some promise out in early December....EPS were a little uglier, but better than 12z.

I would be surprised if I end up with under 12" or so for December, but if I do, watch out....good sign of a rat. Tough to tell for sure, though, with the changing climate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still a crap Pacific, but that trough almost starts to act a little like an Aleutian trough with split flow towards the end. Still mild overall, but could sneak an interior or NNE deal if timed right. 

I feel as though any help in December well come from the EPO or the arctic, the latter of which looks a bit more dubious at this point.

Play it out, though...I tend to not deviate from the forecast seasonal progression because of guidance, unless it becomes overwhelmingly obvious in the medium range.

22 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nope it isn’t. Sucks. 

Hope you feel better.  Had 6 hours of surgery yesterday,  ended at 11pm. Was awake in the recovery room until 12 am and was passing the time remembering snowstorms,  lol what a weenie.  In my room this morning I heard the low temps and laughed, it fuking hurt, 6 at Fakerville?

• Like 1

Amazing diurnal might be underway.   Probably the temperature rises right thru midnight (12am) and we bootleg the high late. Could be 55 F at that time. I wonder if we'll even decouple much tonight in this Euro synopsis. Quickening WSW gradient flow through mid troposphere may battle the long night. Interesting micro-study chance there.  In any case, this is the 3rd time we've seen .. or will, a 48 hour complete abandonment of winter profile in lieu of early autumn. I almost wonder if this may typify the winter ... big profile roll-in and roll-outs. 

But today is a fair-weather version of that Jan 94' thing Will and I've mused about ..  The day dawns blue-tinted light, the region bathed in sting cold, ...the kind where you don't dare slip bare-handed while lifting the car door handles or your knuckles will never forgive you.  It was 9 F at the time.

It was 60/57 F, with 52 mph gusts from the S as the last observation for that day, just before flipping over to the next ( 11:59 pm) ... while the winds ripped steam apparitions off corpse of the snow packs and street-side piles ... murdered by winter's abandon. 

Anywho we managed 16 here ... Interestingly, it was 25 at sun up and is 31 now.. The 850 mb must have begun warming enough to begin radiating some warmth into the column via conduction?  - kind of interesting.  Low was registered at 3am with still four hours of darkest before the dawn though, under naked, starred firmament. We should have have made 9  ;) 

I looked at the Euro ... and it really is banal for everyone who seeks excitement through this kind of cinema.  

It's really just uneventful.  With a quasi-zonal flow transiting waves that don't host more than fropas.  You really could engage in something else and not miss anything.

I'm noticing the heights from Brownsville TX, to Miami FL to off the SE U.S. coast are unaware of these waves as they ripple over top.  The GGEM ... it has a suggestive look there at 96 hours but then the trough structure succumbs to the southern height wall... as the trough gets absorbed. The northern aspect rolls up into Ontario ..and the vestigial southern aspect slopes positively backward about to extinguish altogether.  Bit of Miami height rule working its destructive wave interfering magic there -

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hope you feel better.  Had 6 hours of surgery yesterday,  ended at 11pm. Was awake in the recovery room until 12 am and was passing the time remembering snowstorms,  lol what a weenie.  In my room this morning I heard the low temps and laughed, it fuking hurt, 6 at Fakerville?

Hope you feel better soon, bro....good time to be laid up, wxwise lol Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I looked at the Euro ... and it really is banal for everyone who seeks excitement through this kind of cinema.  

It's really just uneventful.  With a quasi-zonal flow transiting waves that don't host more than fropas.  You really could engage in something else and not miss anything.

I'm noticing the heights from Brownsville TX, to Miami FL to off the SE U.S. coast are unaware of these waves as they ripple over top.  The GGEM ... it has a suggestive look there at 96 hours but then the trough structure succumbs to the southern height wall... as the trough gets absorbed. The northern aspect rolls up into Ontario ..and the vestigial southern aspect slopes positively backward about to extinguish altogether.  Bit of Miami height rule working its destructive wave interfering magic there -

It's an utterly putrid pattern for at least the next 10 days....if we managed anything remotely exciting in terms of winter wx, it would be do to something extremely well-timed and probably more for NNE to boot.

As mentioned above though, if one squinted, you could start to see a potentially "better" looking hemispheric pattern by the end of the GEFS (and to a lesser extent EPS). So hopefully that becomes more apparent in the next few runs.