Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just read a great article on all the different kinds of witch hazel. Didn't know native ones bloom Oct Nov while non natives in winter. Pollinated by moths which raise their body temps by 50 degrees by shaking. 

I tried growing some from seed this spring, but none of them germinated. Pretty cool though.

I learned that paw paw flowers are pollinated by flies that are attracted to the stinky scent they give off. 

image.jpeg

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like jugs and mugs will be over after Wed. Still mild with a cool shot, but the big warmth will be done. Until Christmas.

Yeah, weeklies were around +1-2 after week 2. I think we get a cool shot around the 17th which has support on the eps 

7 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

My mom and step dad tested positive yesterday  my mom has no symptoms my step dad says it's like the flu for him

We have friends who are dealing with this. Husband and Husband's mom tested positive, she gave it to him. He's actually pretty sick from it. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Weeklies to me do not look Nina at all. If anything they shift higher heights up north towards the NAO domain and leave lower heights over the SE. The Pacific is kind of crappy with low heights near AK...but the Atlantic isn't half bad. 

This is how I expect December to look, which should prevent a total ratter.

I def. see the path to a rat, though....not tough to envision given the background this season.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I'm fine with the torch. If I'm going to sit around for months and struggle for average snow, furnace the f*cker. Either bury me with snow, or furnace me. 

Not me....especially around the holidays. 

I will take around average snowfall, but if its going to be a terd...sure, cool down for the holidays, then burn it down.

There are two conditions under which cold and dry is acceptable to me:

1) Snow pack in place....preserve it.

2) Holidays. No one wants Christmas in July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not me....especially around the holidays. 

I will take around average snowfall, but if its going to be a terd...sure, cool down for the holidays, then burn it down.

There are two conditions under which cold and dry is acceptable to me:

1) Snow pack in place....preserve it.

2) Holidays. No one wants Christmas in July.

If there is a way to have 2' of snow OTG while it is 75, I am all in. 

• Haha 1

Just an observation ... but it seems the gradient weakened a little ( overall ..orbital perspective ) bit less than a week ago, and this ridge seemed to immediately balloon.

Meanwhile, prior...we had a cold pattern and early tantalizing notions of winter and of course the significant realization/event came of that ...and while that was happening, heights between Florida and Bermuda ...never really deflated... 

I used to refer to the "Miami Rule" ... it was basically:   if the heights over MIA were greater than 582 dm, and the balanced geostrophic winds were above 30 kts at 500 mb ...that means that S/W are entering a destructive interference pattern ... when ejecting E of 110 W/ along ~ mid latitudes.  

This strikes me as related... The snow event we experienced was along a narrow latitude - which is consistent with fast flow neggie interference ... stretching in the longitude.  The event's specific morphology fit - 

Also, as soon as the flow 'relaxed' in a large eddy sense of it...the ridge immediately ...almost reflexively bounces back -   ... 

Interesting... 

The autman has two distinct complexions ... and this also fits with the observation that there is a tendency for huge temperature variances - even relative to transition season typology - setting up along 45 N in the means...  We are going into late summer vs early winter across 300 naut mi over the Continent, which is ...6 hours of advection at any given region near-by from excessively flipping between the two.   But, what's intriguing is to see that without substantive cyclogenesis... Usually, big baroclinic variance results in deeper/larger system behavior. 

I think the speedy nature of the flow is inhibitory...leaving big gradients sort of 'unrealizing' in the means.   Just a hypothesis -

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just an observation ... but it seems the gradient weakened a little ( overall ..orbital perspective ) bit less than a week ago, and this ridge seemed to immediately balloon.

Meanwhile, prior...we had a cold pattern and early tantalizing notions of winter and of course the significant realization/event came of that ...and while that was happening, heights between Florida and Bermuda ...never really deflated... 

I used to refer to the "Miami Rule" ... it was basically:   if the heights over MIA were greater than 582 dm, and the balanced geostrophic winds were above 30 kts at 500 mb ...that means that S/W are entering a destructive interference pattern ... when ejecting E of 110 W/ along ~ mid latitudes.  

This strikes me as related... The snow event we experienced was along a narrow latitude - which is consistent with fast flow neggie interference ... stretching in the longitude.  The event's specific morphology fit - 

Also, as soon as the flow 'relaxed' in a large eddy sense of it...the ridge immediately ...almost reflexively bounces back -   ... 

Interesting... 

The autman has two distinct complexions ... and this also fits with the observation that there is a tendency for huge temperature variances - even relative to transition season typology - setting up along 45 N in the means...  We are going into late summer vs early winter across 300 naut mi over the Continent, which is ...6 hours of advection at any given region near-by from excessively flipping between the two.   But, what's intriguing is to see that without substantive cyclogenesis... Usually, big baroclinic variance results in deeper/larger system behavior. 

I think the speedy nature of the flow is inhibitory...leaving big gradients sort of 'unrealizing' in the means.   Just a hypothesis -

I remember and always use that.