Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could make a run at 70 in spots later next week. Quite the flip from this weekend and even early in the week with that brutal cold shot on Monday/Tuesday. 

I don't think it's going to last ...   not that you asked ( I realize you're just leveling the comment - )

But, I do still believe that warm pattern R-wave folds over ... possibly dramatically... mid month.  I wonder about corrective storminess closer to the 20th too - but it's exotically far out there..admittedly.

The problems I have with sustaining warmth are:   N/stream expressive hemisphere makes any sustained subtropical ridging both plausible, but also susceptible along the N rims for transitory pattern behavior.  If we add to that the a progressive/velocity surplus hemisphere, that lends to non-fixate R-wave constructs.  I just don't see us situating a ridge and have it be unperturbed to "sustain" anything for that matter. 

Being realistic:  this snow wasn't gonna last - you/we know that...of course.  But, we need to 'unjazz' from yesterday and think of this for what it is...

But what is it:  that's an interesting question...  Comparing this to the 300 year climate observation, this is rare...  Comparing this to the local climate spanning 20 years, I argue it is not rare - no way...  We've had half ... ( at least ) of all Octobers featuring either synoptic snow, or... patterns certainly favorable of supporting synoptic snow - but merely happened to dodge the timing in this latter essence... But less than even synoptic ... these packing pellet bouncer showers way waay more frequently than the previous paradigm before the turn of the Century.

And, it has also coincide with the two things that I find increasingly more difficult to believe is just random chance:    The hockey-stick climate acceleration;    The velocity surplus and hemispheric wind flux anomalies sendong commercial airline traffic on sonic speed trajectories across the N Pac and Atl Basins... ( I took the liberty adding this statement but you get my meaning...)  

Nah, the former lends to the latter ...due to HC expanding N and "compressing" the hypsometry of the hemisphere in the means... and this then causes the flow to 'pile up' so to speak and 'fold over' western Canada at transition seasons.  Octobers and Aprils are more winter at times the January now...  "at times" - not all the times...

• Like 3

Looks like this Invest is ahead of the popular global model's development curve ...

Not sure what the tropical specific ensembles look like but TPC has 'near 100%' and have all but already declared it.

Thing is, it's got 'that look' of having no interest in holding back - it's curling over pretty coherently at multiple levels, and given to low shear and high OHC ...it's seems it's a candidate for exceeding intensity expectations - we'll see on that.   Looks a bit like a Wilma analog for slowing as it near Honduras ...possible meandering over the hottest waters in the solar system outside of deep penetration Jupiter, then being pulled out..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Weenie question, what does the 12z Euro show for Monday/Tuesday up north?

From what I’m seeing the flow for upslope looks pretty uniform with height and not a ton of low level veering.  It looks fairly unblocked which is better for you and I... the snow should be able to propagate downwind of the crest axis with ease.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From what I’m seeing the flow for upslope looks pretty uniform with height and not a ton of low level veering.  It looks fairly unblocked which is better for you and I... the snow should be able to propagate downwind of the crest axis with ease.  

Sounds good! I think we will need to see what the coastal does. Looks like you are primed for good upslope either way, the better runs for me get the low off Maine more involved with some direct synoptic stuff. NAM hasn’t been as excited about that the last few runs but globals and RGEM still seem to like it. Either way seems like a great setup for a few inches across the northern tier. All models agree on that now. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sounds good! I think we will need to see what the coastal does. Looks like you are primed for good upslope either way, the better runs for me get the low off Maine more involved with some direct synoptic stuff. NAM hasn’t been as excited about that the last few runs but globals and RGEM still seem to like it. Either way seems like a great setup for a few inches across the northern tier. All models agree on that now. 

Yeah I think you’ll do better on the upslope than models think.  Can’t take them at their word, it’s more just looking for the signal.  You’ve got 3-4000ft behind you to WNW it looks like... unblocked flow will just dump that snow on the Lee side (you).

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think you’ll do better on the upslope than models think.  Can’t take them at their word, it’s more just looking for the signal.  You’ve got 3-4000ft behind you to WNW it looks like... unblocked flow will just dump that snow on the Lee side (you).

You are lucky with your NWS office. They went into a lot of detail on this upslope event and pinpointed exact areas. The Gray, ME discussion was far less exciting, to put it mildly. Basically just said “there could be accumulating snow in the mountains.” Okie dokie  lol

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You are lucky with your NWS office. They went into a lot of detail on this upslope event and pinpointed exact areas. The Gray, ME discussion was far less exciting, to put it mildly. Basically just said “there could be accumulating snow in the mountains.” Okie dokie  lol

Oh man...you're going to trigger MEkster and Legro. At least neither of them did the LR disco. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You are lucky with your NWS office. They went into a lot of detail on the upslope event and pinpointed exact areas. The Gray, ME discussion was far less exciting, to put it mildly. Basically just said “there could be accumulating snow in the mountains.” Okie dokie  lol

I think seeing is believing and the fact that BTV can see the mountains 17 miles east of their office, and the fact they live up against those mountains, brings a lot more focus to it.  There’s also a decent population that lives in these areas, and the most heavily traveled highway in VT is the 89 stretch from Montpelier to Burlington... right past J.Spins house in the max upslope zone.  Like they can’t ignore it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Get used to it! We’ve had this conversation with @OceanStWx. It’s a different world for us. They cover a HUGE area from coastal locations to the Whites to what’s essentially Boston suburbs. And the differences that a few miles make in the Whites are staggering, there is just no way it can be captured. 

That said, it makes it kind of fun. After a storm, we often get snow that lingers for days, and it’s not in the forecast. It’s very satisfying for the inner weenie. :)

• Like 1