Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

All the globals seem to suggesting a +PNA over the past few runs. Latest extended GEFS brings us this look by mid December. :weenie:

Mentioned the Pac wave train yesterday, and here you have the transition to a +PNA . Today, as you mentioned, more evidence of a + PNA , granted over 600 hours away, but plausible. 

20 minutes ago, frd said:

@CAPE speculating that even if we get a +PNA what about the cold air source?

If the EPS is correct Canada is very, very warm. Remarkable,  and a sad situation for cold and snow lovers in the East.  favorable location 

It probably wouldn't do us much good if it were transient... and the persistent toughing near AK has largely cut off polar air penetration into our source region. I don't expect to see persistence with a stable W US ridge in a favorable position anytime soon. What would really help is if the EPO flipped- that would provide a mechanism to get cold air back into western/central Canada pretty quickly.

• Like 3

A product of a +PNA after a several weeks long stint of any cold source being choked off....need some EPO help.

Both the GEFS and CFS show a weakening of the SPV around the 20th of Dec. Granted, this predicted weakening is just more of comedown off its high and more toward the ERA5 mean but a weakening nonetheless.  The idea of a developing PNA and then more importantly -EPO would make sense in order to start throwing some jabs at the PV.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

Both the GEFS and CFS show a weakening of the SPV around the 20th of Dec. Granted, this predicted weakening is just more of comedown off its high and more toward the ERA5 mean but a weakening nonetheless. 

This does echo the thoughts of Isotherm's seasonal. We wait and watch. At the least the +PNA may help us from torching if indeed it develops. 

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

he persistent toughing near AK has largely cut off polar air penetration into our source region. I don't expect to see persistence with a stable W US ridge in a favorable position anytime soon.

Recalling last winter where robust West Coast ridging was forecasted a few times, only to breakdown or never develop,  due to the compressed and rapid jet stream movement, culprits already discussed last year. But, if we can get a great Pac pattern in prime climo that lasts a week or more, maybe we can score. Watching the seasonal progression of shorter wave lenghts should be interesting as well later in December.    

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Weird to say this, but the GEFS advertised pattern in early December is actually pretty  darn good. Verbatim not much cold air, but if that 500mb pattern occurred, it would end up colder I’d wager. 

Looks wet/active. Cold would be good. The fact that it isn't advertising cold in the LR is fine with me since it's usually wrong when it does!

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Weird to say this, but the GEFS advertised pattern in early December is actually pretty  darn good. Verbatim not much cold air, but if that 500mb pattern occurred, it would end up colder I’d wager. 

Sign me up for this no doubt.

E81B3CB5-8F11-4EA8-9B69-44C788E73432.png

• Like 4

Some continuing signs this morning that we might be able to achieve a more blocked regime later in the month,  and especially in early December.  Also, some indications regarding higher pressures building into and near Greenland  early to mid December. We all know the odds and the accuracy within the NAO domain,  but well worth keeping tabs as we get closer to the holidays. 

• Like 2

Nice to see the ops showing a shuffle in the LR....certainly looking more likely we see a nice west coast ridge.  Could go poof in the next few runs like we have seen so many times but if its gonna happen the ops should be picking up on it.  12z gfs continues this idea...just a different interpretation each run.

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Nice to see the ops showing a shuffle in the LR....certainly looking more likely we see a nice west coast ridge.  Could go poof in the next few runs like we have seen so many times but if its gonna happen the ops should be picking up on it.  12z gfs continues this idea...just a different interpretation each run.

12z GEFS looks pretty darn good at the end of the run today. GEPS isn't bad either. Probably average to slightly below average temps. Ofc it's just on paper at this point. We shall see.

eta- Latest GEFS extended is a bit more ambiguous with the pattern around mid Dec compared to previous runs. Not bad but never gets the +heights into the NAO region. Given how the last couple GEFS runs have looked, it will be interesting to see the next extended run. For those who don't know, the extended(beyond hr 384) is a feature of the 0z runs, but the extended hours have a 24 hour delay, at least on TT. So the run I am referencing here is the 0z Friday edition.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

+heights in the NAO region would be great but my eyes are on the PAC and to a slightly lesser extent the AO. We don’t have a shot without a serviceable Pacific pattern IMO. 

Agreed but we must always chase the unicorn,  right? :P

EPO domain is going to be important to our chances for legit cold air outbreaks, imo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b5dq617omwd7i2x1185

This look has been moving up in time. I made a post a couple days ago when the extended GEFS looked like this around mid Dec. I guess the problem is it might be transient and happen too early lol. Still not a lot of cold air initially available either way. To take advantage, this needs to verify, and have some persistence, in order to reload cold in our nearby source region..

• Like 1