• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Chester County PA data analysis - 1894 to Present

ChescoWx

This latest analysis has certainly sparked some discussion as an example one professional MET just weighed in on my twitter feed with - Brilliant!!!  "I'd have to look into that. Very fine line there with adjusting past recorded data that was once official record unless there was a known sensor problem. Because then it can be viewed as a political or narrative-based adjustment"

Another great comment on my data analysis....I love when professional METS weigh in - another brilliant comment!! This is Gold!!!!

"I don't see how you can do that unless there is a proven calibration issue. Accuracy of instrumentation comes down to whether it is calibrated correctly or not. Adjust the sensor, not the dataset"

I am not sure who the moderators are here....but I was running a similar thread on another area weather site and I have been banned for posting what they deemed as controversial and divisive content - which is the same as appears in this thread about Western Chester County  PA data. I want to be sure I am not offending anyone here - I put this under it's own thread to make sure if you find it tiring or think what I post is looney tunes you can go to another thread. I as always try to keep this fact based with data analytics when appropriate.  Feel free to PM me if you do not feel comfortable replying in this thread if you would like me to stop posting this data. This site has always been very easy going and open to opinions but maybe I have misread the environment where in some cases data or opinions are not always welcome.

Thanks to all!
Paul

• Weenie 1

Kind of interesting with today's Hi/Lo splits of 73.4/58.6 the average temperature for the 1st 2 days of August have been the chilliest first 2 August days on record in Western Chester County PA since NWS COOP records began back in 1894 - average temp of 65.2 which is 9.8 degrees below normal....which of course means some nice heat on the way next week even if you are not a model watcher.....

• 1 month later...

Some interesting data which for the 1st time that I could find - shows how the actual data has been tweaked with post observation adjustments to in this case dampen the warmth earlier in the 20th century to better support warming vs. today. Let's look at the long term weather records for Allentown PA (ABE). The data used for the ABE data set is sourced from the NWS COOP data from the ABE Gas Company from 1912-1938 and since then from The ABE Airport through today. So, when I looked at the data in the ABE raw data file I could see where in the daily observations they began to make adjustments (usually chilling down the nigh time lows) to chill down the period - adjustments downward were main for all 27 years between 1912 through 1938....with the largest adjustments applied between the period 1912-1930. This adjustment as you can see below where I highlight how the adjustments impacted the average temperature trend lines. This allows the pre-ABE airport data to now report significantly cooler and helps amplify the warming trend as we move into the more recent decades. Again no surprises as we have discussed but this is the first time I have been able to quantify the adjustments and see how the data was tweaked to better support the warming story. Thoughts? image.png.62095617b0ba3bb879b32394751c6aab.png

I have updated the analysis with 2 more COOP sites (Devault and HoneyBrook). So we now have all 8 NWS COOP sites across Chester County.  I have also added a linear trend line for all 8 sites. This indicates that (4) four COOP sites show a linear cooling trend - (1) one is near steady and (3) three show a warming trend. image.thumb.png.3f06aed6c144e03ab5c43aba38341c56.png

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone in Chester County if interested I have started a new Facebook Group page. This will be strictly about the weather. Including weather observations, analysis, forecasts, your photos and discussions specifically related to the unique climate and weather of Chester County PA. During active weather it will broaden the focus to across the entire PA/NJ and DE area. Thanks and I hope to see you there!! Paul

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx/

• 1 month later...

Looking at November averages by Decade since the 1890's indicate with the most recently completed full decade (2010's) that we may indeed be heading back to a cooler cycle. Of note in ranking all decades since the 1890's -       5 of the 8 warmest November decades occurred in Chester County prior to the 1940's. With the exception of the very warm 2000's some very consistent readings with the 1900's and 2010's almost exactly the same

image.png.da6235845a25f2003bc5c915a002736c.png

• 2 weeks later...