Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

Just now, jojo762 said:

00z NBM snow map continues to be a compromise between the more bullish ECMWF/GFS and the more bearish GEM.

However, something appears to be awry with the aggregate SLRs in the model, as the QPF field would indicate a much more bullish snow solution --  more in line with the GFS/Euro, especially for the western half of Oklahoma. Interestingly there is a rather steep gradient in the QPF output on the NBM that essentially bifurcates Oklahoma and Kansas -- not exactly buying that.

2-11 00z NBM Snow.PNG

2-11 00z NBM QPF.PNG

I noticed that, too. Seems squirrely to me. Also not buying the hard stop to the precip shield in E KS and MO. Think we'll see widespread QPF south of I-70 of greater than .4". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jojo762 said:

00z NBM snow map continues to be a compromise between the more bullish ECMWF/GFS and the more bearish GEM.

However, something appears to be awry with the aggregate SLRs in the model, as the QPF field would indicate a much more bullish snow solution --  more in line with the GFS/Euro, especially for the western half of Oklahoma. Interestingly there is a rather steep gradient in the QPF output on the NBM that essentially bifurcates Oklahoma and Kansas -- not exactly buying that.

2-11 00z NBM Snow.PNG

2-11 00z NBM QPF.PNG

That’s 15-16/1 for Tulsa which is in the lower range of expectations.

2 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

I noticed that, too. Seems squirrely to me. Also not buying the hard stop to the precip shield in E KS and MO. Think we'll see widespread QPF south of I-70 of greater than .4". 

The QPF that the NBM is shooting out is completely perplexing, as is the snow map. No answers for either, really. NBM is typically modestly reliable, given that it is a blend -- sorta like buying SPY instead of picking stocks, its hard'ish to beat the market. haha

• Like 1

Just now, stormdragonwx said:

Exactly this. Its been bad all winter. Seen it initialize this past week alone being way too warm so you can throw it out from the get go.

The NAM and Euro have been hot garbage during this cold outbreak. Consistently 2-5 degrees too warm at any daypart w/in 72 hours and slow to catch up to the lower temps. 

I would trust the GFS/Euro and their ensembles still at this range. Could the NAM be right? Sure. Is it the most likely solution in the face of all the other model data right now? Not really. 

I will say that its solution is the way I have been worried we fail for the past couple days. It keys in more on the lead wave and doesn’t get it out of the way in time. The other models ride the knifes edge and just barely keep the lead wave weak enough for the trailing wave to amplify and take on a more neutral to negative tilt. Again, the NAM is unlikely to be right at this range, but I will be watch the trends on the other models regarding the lead wave very closely. That’s the key IMO.

• Like 5

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

I would trust the ensembles still at this range. Could the NAM be right? Sure. Is it the most likely solution in the face of all the other model data right? Not really. 

I will say that it’s solution is the way I have been worried we fail for the past couple days. It keys in more on the lead wave and doesn’t get it out of the way in time. The other models ride the knifes edge and just barely keep the lead wave weak enough for the trailing wave to amplify and take on a more neutral to negative tilt. Again, the NAM is unlikely to be right at this range, but I will be watch the trends on the other modes regarding the lead wave very closely. That’s the key IMO.

Good write up, thanks

Man its neat seeing the forum so active :) . How long has it been since we all discussed something like this!!? Im still not totally in but Im excited something good could happen for most of us who have had a crazy snow drought!! On a side note, keep getting these lil micro bursts of snow here...everything is covered again(not that anything melted). Even these lil frizzle events leave me smiling as its perfect snow, cold and and not melting & adds up quickly. Good luck to us all! 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

12Z RDPS btw. Falling in line with the area of snow, just low on totals for many. But a big step in the right direction for the Canadian.

1613390400-7rbG4XtYCHI.png

Interesting trend tonight on the 0z guidance. Seems like a general trend toward away from a N/S gradient to one that is more SW to NE.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoMo said:

00z Euro interacting with the lead wave more out to 54 hours. We'll see how this goes....

Does not seem like there was too much of an appreciable change to the end result. Still impressive snow totals area-wide, maybe slightly less bullish for some -- definitely less widespread 0.5" QPF than yesterday's runs.

Do not believe this has been posted yet, but OUN's AFD this afternoon did an excellent job of summarizing the snow potential for many of us in the forum.

The storm system of interest, currently still located over the
Pacific, will begin to impact our region as early as late Saturday
night. An anomalously cold airmass will be in place ahead of this
system which will allow for an all snow scenario, even across our
traditionally warmer southeast counties. Models are in general
agreement bringing a wide swath of 0.3" to as much as 0.8" of QPF to
the area. The GFS and its ensembles have been in good agreement and
have stayed toward the higher side of this range. The
deterministic ECM agrees with the GFS and GEFS, but is a bit of a
high outlier within its ensembles. GEM/NAM appear more progressive
and are drier outliers at this stage, with 0.1-0.3" QPF. All this
to say, there is still some uncertainty in exactly how much snow
will fall, but given snow to liquid ratios of 15:1 to perhaps
greater than 20:1 at times during this event, it won`t take a ton
of moisture to produce significant snow totals. We are taking a
middle of the road approach for now, with 0.4-0.5" of QPF, leading
to widespread snow totals of 6-8", locally up to 10", with highest
amounts focused across northwest OK where ratios are highest.