• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

It is too early to get into specifics given fairly low confidence in the forecast...

But, we are certainly coming into a pattern that will be interesting to watch evolve in model land the next few days as it seems entirely possible that someone in our region could get, by today's terms, a blockbuster snowstorm. UKMET/EURO are both fairly aggressive, but with inconsistent solutions. GFS is more consistent, and dry for all of us. CMC, as usual, is a compromise between the two solutions. 

This isn't me just being a weenie, but I *certainly* know which models my money would be on in the D5-7 time range...

3 hours ago, jojo762 said:

It is too early to get into specifics given fairly low confidence in the forecast...

But, we are certainly coming into a pattern that will be interesting to watch evolve in model land the next few days as it seems entirely possible that someone in our region could get, by today's terms, a blockbuster snowstorm. UKMET/EURO are both fairly aggressive, but with inconsistent solutions. GFS is more consistent, and dry for all of us. CMC, as usual, is a compromise between the two solutions. 

This isn't me just being a weenie, but I *certainly* know which models my money would be on in the D5-7 time range...

Looks like 00z ECMWF/UKMET/GEM all trended drier...

12z GFS found some precip. Maybe a nice rain/snow mix for someone, with a bit more snow on the NW side.

12z GEM is coming in dry.

Either way, shouldn't be that big of a deal for many, but considering the snow drought..... it will at least be something.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoMo said:

12z GFS found some precip. Maybe a nice rain/snow mix for someone, with a bit more snow on the NW side.

12z GEM is coming in dry.

Either way, shouldn't be that big of a deal for many, but considering the snow drought..... it will at least be something.

It’s somewhat ironic. GFS moved away from being the lone wolf showing no precip across the C plains because of its different depiction of the S/W crashing from Montana... and now the other guidance is shifting toward what the GFS had been showing. Needless to say there’s tons of uncertainty, hoping to escape with at least some snow accumulation here in KC.

This might be interesting long term. Any normal year and I'd be excited to see a southern wave with another wave rapidly diving SE over the Rockies, but man the flow is so fast, it's hard for the models to keep up with these pieces of energy.

gfs_z500_vort_us_47.png

Looks like Buffalo, Oklahoma ended up with the bullseye of 14" from the storm. It's been nearly a decade, or even more, since we last got something like that here -- I believe. After the next week or so of mild, mostly sunny weather, it appears we'll have multiple chances for large storms across the plains into mid-month and beyond.