Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

9 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Wasn't there a discussion a couple 3 years ago, or more, about why snow seems to disappear under evergreen trees even when it's very cold?  I tried to search for it but can't find it, probably me doing something wrong.  I'm only asking because once again under a grove of evergreens on my property the snow is completely gone exposing bare ground.  5 inches poof, gone in a week without a temp over 20.  May not of been this board but still, and if I remember there  wasn't an exact reason.  Could be wrong, just curious.

I’ve seen the same thing. My guess is that the dense canopy catches a lot of the snow. The dark green color then absorbs heat and melts the snow on the branches. The now liquid snow falls to the ground, leading to further melt below the canopy. 

That’s my two Canadian cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitchener poster said:

I’ve seen the same thing. My guess is that the dense canopy catches a lot of the snow. The dark green color then absorbs heat and melts the snow on the branches. The now liquid snow falls to the ground, leading to further melt below the canopy. 

That’s my two Canadian cents. 

...which equals 1.57 cents American. For the other 43 cents, I would also add that perhaps the evergreen is acting as insulation, so that the ground temps aren't as cold as the surrounding ground to begin with, coupled with the melting snow from the limbs = bare ground.

...which equals 1.57 cents American. For the other 43 cents, I would also add that perhaps the evergreen is acting as insulation, so that the ground temps aren't as cold as the surrounding ground to begin with, coupled with the melting snow from the limbs = bare ground.

evergreen tree wells in sub alpine areas that get deep powder dumps take several lives each year. The nature of the canopy causes a void under the tree that’s like a Venus fly trap for a skier or snowboarder who skis too close to the tree. I would guess the op’s observation is a smaller scale manifestation of this phenomenon.
  • Like 1

I was going to post this in the Valentine's Day thread but figured it fit better here. Maybe I'm in the minority but anything else I get at this point in the year is just gravy. I've got 6 to 8 inches on the ground with no signs of melting anytime soon. March is less than three weeks away. I'll embrace whatever more snow we get but can't get mad at any misses the rest of the way. In about four weeks I'll be ready for Spring and thunderstorms. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

Is it just me or is Indy missing big snows from every direction ? Seems like Chicago, Cinci, Pittsburgh have all had bigger snows than Indy this winter.

We always miss. What happened yesterday and last night with 2 waves of snow north and south of us was so typical of us

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Whats crazy is this is a good winter for our region but Indy area just keeps getting missed 

Accuweather says 3-6" between Wed morning and Thurs evening. Yeah right. I will be shocked if we get more than an inch through Thursday.

23 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

It's TRUE though

It's actually not true. The issue is the 2/3/21 12 Z Euro painted a >20" excess band of snow over a 7-10 day period and everyone got pumped. But for a realist you would have to know it would not pan out exactly to that particular run. Still, the idea of frequent waves moving through the flow every 24-36 hours has been exactly correct. 2/5-2/6(1"-4" underperformer N. Illinois/Iowa), 2/8 AM (Central Ill 3-4" overperformer), 2/8 PM (2-5" N. Ill overperformer), Today(1"-3" on the table), Thursday (1-2"), Fri-Sat possibilities and so on. It has been very busy and active. And yes, it does seem models pop a big event and than lose it a run later which was expected and common for this pattern. Still, this shows the volatility of the pattern with plenty of cold, low pressure waves and or overunning set ups. I still side with it's only a matter of time before it all comes together. Probably, breaks this pattern in doing so, Too much time on my hands today.

1 hour ago, Baum said:

It's actually not true. The issue is the 2/3/21 12 Z Euro painted a >20" excess band of snow over a 7-10 day period and everyone got pumped. But for a realist you would have to know it would not pan out exactly to that particular run. Still, the idea of frequent waves moving through the flow every 24-36 hours has been exactly correct. 2/5-2/6(1"-4" underperformer N. Illinois/Iowa), 2/8 AM (Central Ill 3-4" overperformer), 2/8 PM (2-5" N. Ill overperformer), Today(1"-3" on the table), Thursday (1-2"), Fri-Sat possibilities and so on. It has been very busy and active. And yes, it does seem models pop a big event and than lose it a run later which was expected and common for this pattern. Still, this shows the volatility of the pattern with plenty of cold, low pressure waves and or overunning set ups. I still side with it's only a matter of time before it all comes together. Probably, breaks this pattern in doing so, Too much time on my hands today.

The 2/4 underperformer in Illinois was over performer in Southeast Michigan with 3-5" and 2"+/hr rates, the 2/8 perfomred as expected here 1-3", then down in Cincinnati there was 9"  In a heavy band the next night. These waves are all over the place so good luck in getting a model QPF field to verify but the bottom line is it's been active in it's going to continue to stay active