Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

On 1/23/2021 at 9:42 AM, KokomoWX said:

It is eleven degrees this morning and just a day away from a solid snow storm to my north.  The cut-off will be sharp and I'll be whiffed again.  So many misses both north and south over recent years.  My last 6" snowfall was Jan 12/13, 2019.  Since then we had the over performer on December 16th this season for 4.2" but zero other 4+ inch snowfalls.  

March 25, 2013 was the last time I saw double digits.  You can guess that it didn't last long.  There have been just 11 events with 4 or more inches since the beginning of the  2012-2013 season.  

A bit further back was the sleet fest of GHD where models show Kokomo getting buried only to get 6 inches or so of sleet.  FML

Kokomo is due.  I'm due.  

Looking at something coming up mid week and seeing I'll be riding the south gradient but will likely see mostly mixed at best is heartbreaking.  

I'm so tired of the complete turds I've been getting.  I am ready to say screw it and wish for a torch that would make March 2012 seem like a cold shower.  Bring it on the heat baby.  

Such nonsense.  :lol:

45 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

Last year 2019-20 I never touched my snow blower, but did some minor shoveling a couple times. This winter, haven't touched my shovel yet! :angry:

I can almost match you.  I just put my plow on Sunday.  I have shoveled 1 time all year.  Sad this is I probably average at least double your yearly snowfall.

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I can almost match you.  I just put my plow on Sunday.  I have shoveled 1 time all year.  Sad this is I probably average at least double your yearly snowfall.

I bought a snowblower this fall because I have such a big driveway that the heavy snowfalls are a bit much, a few last Winter were downright chores and it was the selling point for me. I've only used the snowblower once, December 1st, although I have shoveled many times.

25 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Yea can we consider merging some of the next week threads into one "clipper train" thread? @Hoosier?

^  I thought that this thread was supposed to be for these short-fused/minor systems (although the debate over which system is going to be minor vs. major is now in effect.) I am actually okay with all of the clippers having their own threads.

• Like 2

Days like today are where UHI drives me crazy. I’m not even in the core of Chicago metro...and the high/low today has been 37/10 under nearly full sun. But in RFD, it looks like the high/low will end up being 30/2.

I know UHI may not explain all of it...but it doesn’t seem like there was much difference in air mass or cloud cover for here vs. RFD. It’s obnoxious. So much non snow covered pavement around here to absorb more of the sunlight, compared to rural areas. Could also be that the south winds today had more snow covered ground to cover out west by RFD, vs. here...although there is a pretty deep snowpack down by IKK. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Days like today are where UHI drives me crazy. I’m not even in the core of Chicago metro...and the high/low today has been 37/10 under nearly full sun. But in RFD, it looks like the high/low will end up being 30/2.

I know UHI may not explain all of it...but it doesn’t seem like there was much difference in air mass or cloud cover for here vs. RFD. It’s obnoxious. So much non snow covered pavement around here to absorb more of the sunlight, compared to rural areas. Could also be that the south winds today had more snow covered ground to cover out west by RFD, vs. here...although there is a pretty deep snowpack down by IKK. 

Good luck to you guys in the western Sub. Looks like Toronto cashed all its chips in November and December and will get cold but not extreme and some snow but also not worthy of much discussion. 

I do enjoy snow cover and cold but I can already tell the itch for spring has started. I enjoyed watching 35F and sun melt the snow outside which is generally the first sign I'm getting over winter. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Man there was so much new material to read when I got home it was almost overwhelming lol.  Nice turnaround from earlier in the winter. :guitar:

Still waiting on the turnaround of this side of Lake Michigan. Even the UP is hurting for snow. Looks like this week and next might at least make a dent in the deficit.

3 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Still waiting on the turnaround of this side of Lake Michigan. Even the UP is hurting for snow. Looks like this week and next might at least make a dent in the deficit.

While we have maintained a very light snowcover for most of the past 2 weeks, clearly earlier winter was better. However going forward looks like the best of winter is yet to come.