Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

On 1/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, Kitchener poster said:

How many people here work in meteorology? Just curious. Those that do not, why are you interested enough in this field to participate or lurk on this forum? 

For me I study plant diseases and I am always interested in the environment. 

I was never good at biology in school haha. Perhaps I'll message you come spring when I do my spring gardening. 

I work in Finance and Accounting. I graduated from school back in 2017 and now I’m working towards my CFA designation. Though it’s been delayed right now because of Covid. I've always been interested in weather since I was a kid. It’s always been a passionate hobby for me. I just couldn't see myself working as a meteorologist though. However, I spend time learning more and more about weather every day because I find it interesting. I also find learning about space interesting too. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

so, you're saying not me.

I thought you would say that. Actually, I've got nothing against you starting them, or anyone else in particular, I just think it would be really cool if RC did one :D

The one thread I started back in the day performed probably even worse than this current storm, so I'm not one to judge

10 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I thought you would say that. Actually, I've got nothing against you starting them, or anyone else in particular, I just think it would be really cool if RC did one :D

The one thread I started back in the day performed probably even worse than this current storm, so I'm not one to judge

Not sure that will work either. RC has thoughtful analysis and shows the envelope of possibilities and gives substantial reasoning for each of them. Then it unfortunately verifies on one of the weaker outcomes. Not his fault just the bad trend we've been in for several years

• Sad 1

found this interesting info on the 78-79 winter for IL that details each storm published in 1980

at one point the entire northern 1/3 of the state had a snow depth of at least 20 inches with some places almost 40

Midway had a snow depth of at least 15 inches for 5 weeks straight

NE Lake county IL had a seasonal snowfall of around 100 inches!

https://www.isws.illinois.edu/pubdoc/RI/ISWSRI-94.pdf

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

found this interesting info on the 78-79 winter for IL that details each storm published in 1980

at one point the entire northern 1/3 of the state had a snow depth of at least 20 inches with some places almost 40

Midway had a snow depth of at least 15 inches for 5 weeks straight

NE Lake county IL had a seasonal snowfall of around 100 inches!

https://www.isws.illinois.edu/pubdoc/RI/ISWSRI-94.pdf

That's a great paper.  I was only 4 years old and lived in KC at the time...would have been amazing to experience.  Yeah...I believe Antioch, IL had 105.6" of snow, with a peak depth of 38" and around 115 consecutive days of 1"+ depth.

:wub:

With the usual caveats on a 16-day GFS map...it's interesting that Chicago's daily low temp records during the entire period from Feb. 7-25 (with one exception*) are all from 1936 or earlier...and most were from the 1800s or very early 1900s.  Probably due to the recent UHI and the colder overall climate back then, which allowed snow cover/depth to generally persist further into February both here and in the source region. 

*Record low of -8 on 2/19/2015

On 1/26/2021 at 2:28 PM, madwx said:

we had our first sunset after 5 pm a couple days ago. Next big milestone on our march to spring is 10 hours of daylight, which we'll get on Feb 2.

I'm just glad were gaining daylight in the morning. I don't like 8am sunrises !

Kind of annoyed that this storm is sinking South of here but can't get them all. Hopefully this is just the beginning of an active period for our region. May Feb be the opposite of the zzzs that ruled most of January. This is why I always lol when people who are off to slow starts in December start talking about seasonal futility when snow chances last until April.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1