Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

30 minutes ago, Kitchener poster said:

How many people here work in meteorology? Just curious. Those that do not, why are you interested enough in this field to participate or lurk on this forum? 

For me I study plant diseases and I am always interested in the environment. 

I've always been interested in the weather since I was a kid, my mom instilled it into me although Im much more into it than she is lol. Always loved snow, been measuring every snowfall since the fall of 1995 when I was 12.  I live a 2 minute drive from my childhood home so really doesn't affect location for my snow records either lol. That means this is my 26 consecutive Winter of measuring snow in my own backyard.:o. Weather stats/history interest me more than forecasting. I became a co-op observer for the NWS in 2004 so my daily precip/snow has officially been logged since then. My actual 9-5, or should I say 8-4 lol, is I'm an injury adjuster for an insurance company. Working from home now which is why I want a lot of snow to enjoy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kitchener poster said:

How many people here work in meteorology? Just curious. Those that do not, why are you interested enough in this field to participate or lurk on this forum? 

Got a degree in meteorology but don’t currently work in the field 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitchener poster said:

I have been interested in meteorology since I was a kid. I took a few introductory courses in meteorology at UIUC but they didn't offer a degree there. Went into the medical field instead. So  enjoy learning from those with a lot more expertise than myself. Also have fun with the friendly banter on the boards and never take it or myself too seriously. Grew up as a kid in the 1970s so have fond memories of some great winters. Used to remember listening to the NOAA weather radio issuing heavy snow warnings.

• Like 1

Bit the bullet after lurking for a long long time. Maybe I'll try to most more often if it merits! I also took a few atmosphic science classes in undergrad and grad school at UIUC while studying energy systems engineering. Currently an emerging technology mechanical engineer. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WaryWarren said:

McHenrySnow is a meteorologist for AccuWeather, so that makes sense.

Grew up in Naperville, remember vaguely seeing the dark, boiling clouds that hid the Plainfield tornado when I was in grade school. I wanted to chase tornadoes ever since I saw that NOVA special with Dr. Bluestein in the 80s. I planned to study meteorology in college, even applied and got accepted into the University of Oklahoma. I ended up going to school much closer to home, moving over to geography and have been employed in the GIS field post-college. I think there's a "map girl" that does similar work that I do. No, I'm not Alek's or anyone else's troll account.

Plainfield IL is where I lived before moving to Kitchener. I remember reading those mini books about it and some of the old timers still remember it vividly. 

15 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

That sounds like interesting work, and very valuable - good for you! 

Mentioned it in another post - I have a met degree but unfortunately gave up on forecasting out of school.  Forecasting didn't come naturally to me, so I threw in the towel prematurely instead of putting the extra effort in.  And I was only 21 when I graduated, and was afraid to move somewhere else and be open to the unknown, far away from home.  Never really had a good sense at the time of what job opportunities existed in meteorology, outside of forecasting.  Was scared to death of being on TV, so never bothered even looking into it.  Had a few odd jobs that were weather-related right after graduating...but then ended up getting an MS in math, and (ironically) taught for a few years...and ended up being very comfortable speaking in front of the camera/other people.  Life is funny that way, I guess.  Now work in insurance.  But meteorology has always been my passion, especially winter weather (big surprise, I know).  :)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

I was a met major for a little while but decided I wanted weather as a hobby instead. Actually was a student volunteer at DTX for a summer, so I’m pretty familiar with the NWS side of everything. Got a degree in secondary science education (fire up Chips). Most likely will be getting a masters degree in administration (maybe outdoors related) or environmental science or something. 
I’m quite active in the storm chasing community and routinely chase everywhere from good ol’ Illinois to Texas and Wyoming. Otherwise, like most others here, I’ve had a deep passion for the weather since a young age. Love the intricate details about how the science works too. Several posters here know me outside the board too which is cool. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

That sounds like interesting work, and very valuable - good for you! 

Mentioned it in another post - I have a met degree but unfortunately gave up on forecasting out of school.  Forecasting didn't come naturally to me, so I threw in the towel prematurely instead of putting the extra effort in.  And I was only 21 when I graduated, and was afraid to move somewhere else and be open to the unknown, far away from home.  Never really had a good sense at the time of what job opportunities existed in meteorology, outside of forecasting.  Was scared to death of being on TV, so never bothered even looking into it.  Had a few odd jobs that were weather-related right after graduating...but then ended up getting an MS in math, and (ironically) taught for a few years...and ended up being very comfortable speaking in front of the camera/other people.  Life is funny that way, I guess.  Now work in insurance.  But meteorology has always been my passion, especially winter weather (big surprise, I know).  :)

Speaking in front of other people is huge and can be great for someone’s career. Public speaking has always terrified me. There is a classic Seinfeld joke. Most people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy. 

I tackled my fear by practicing my presentations. Then practice more. And then recording yourself while practicing. Hearing your own voice is pure cringe. But it helped me “own it”. 

I give 30-40 presentations a year now. More so with virtual meetings. Still get super anxious right before but nothing like the early days.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, Kitchener poster said:

I work in emergency management/Homeland Security. I got hooked on weather as a seven-year-old when my dad took me out the day after the Palm Sunday outbreak and we followed the path of the F-4 that passed through a few miles north of our house.

I got into emergency management as a result of my love of weather. I like storm spotting and doing the occasional chase.

• Like 1

It is eleven degrees this morning and just a day away from a solid snow storm to my north.  The cut-off will be sharp and I'll be whiffed again.  So many misses both north and south over recent years.  My last 6" snowfall was Jan 12/13, 2019.  Since then we had the over performer on December 16th this season for 4.2" but zero other 4+ inch snowfalls.  

March 25, 2013 was the last time I saw double digits.  You can guess that it didn't last long.  There have been just 11 events with 4 or more inches since the beginning of the  2012-2013 season.  

A bit further back was the sleet fest of GHD where models show Kokomo getting buried only to get 6 inches or so of sleet.  FML

Kokomo is due.  I'm due.  

Looking at something coming up mid week and seeing I'll be riding the south gradient but will likely see mostly mixed at best is heartbreaking.  

I'm so tired of the complete turds I've been getting.  I am ready to say screw it and wish for a torch that would make March 2012 seem like a cold shower.  Bring it on the heat baby.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

It is eleven degrees this morning and just a day away from a solid snow storm to my north.  The cut-off will be sharp and I'll be whiffed again.  So many misses both north and south over recent years.  My last 6" snowfall was Jan 12/13, 2019.  Since then we had the over performer on December 16th this season for 4.2" but zero other 4+ inch snowfalls.  

March 25, 2013 was the last time I saw double digits.  You can guess that it didn't last long.  There have been just 11 events with 4 or more inches since the beginning of the  2012-2013 season.  

A bit further back was the sleet fest of GHD where models show Kokomo getting buried only to get 6 inches or so of sleet.  FML

Kokomo is due.  I'm due.  

Looking at something coming up mid week and seeing I'll be riding the south gradient but will likely see mostly mixed at best is heartbreaking.  

I'm so tired of the complete turds I've been getting.  I am ready to say screw it and wish for a torch that would make March 2012 seem like a cold shower.  Bring it on the heat baby.  

I feel your pain. Its sucked in Indiana

3 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

Kokomo is due.  I'm due.  

Believe it or not, I have gone even longer without a 6" snow, and I'm farther north for those who don't know.  Hopefully Kokomo gets a big storm sometime soon.  

Loved weather as a kid and even had someone get me a present of being on the weather network morning show in the mid 90s for my 7th birthday haha. I used to be the weather weenie who played in snow in the front yard but wanted it "untouched" in the backyard and would get upset when I saw siblings playing back there haha. 

Went to Laurier for Global studies and post-grad in International development and worked at an NGO in the Middle East and Red Cross back home in Canada but then decided to go into construction (project manager) 

So now I have two time consuming hobbies haha following weather (I enjoy winter the most but summer heatwaves and severe weather are a close 2nd) and keeping up to date with international relations/development. 

Knowing the weather and upcoming patterns also helps me plan my projects accordingly. 

• Like 1

I've been studying Wooly Bear Caterpillars for 45 years :pimp: 

• Weenie 1