Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

11 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Source: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/twin_cities/snowfall.html

20DB0902-D4F8-44CA-A11A-4F679A275827.pngOkay so technically this is calendar year not snow season.

Period of record average snowfall for Minneapolis 46.6" with 88 days on average of 1" or more of snow on the ground. They do average 12 days per season with 12" or more of snow on the ground but there are quite a few winters that do not even reach 12" and quite a few other winters where you have a really good spell of deep snow.  One of the biggest differences is much more sunshine and much colder temperatures than the lower Great Lakes. Their snowiest winter on record was 98.6" in 1983-84 and least snowy 14.2" in 1930-31.  The 1930s have some crazy anaemic winters in the Midwest

2 hours ago, madwx said:

Honestly you just need to move up to Madison, we've had snow cover since December 12, average 51" of snow per year.  Just enough torches to keep things interesting.

That really has been the saving grace of this winter so far. The fact that outside of the 3-4 days around christmas (beacuse ofc it was) we have had at least an inch or two on the ground since then. Which has made this dull stretch a lot more bearable then it otherwise would be. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

if anyone thinks that beavis would be satisfied with an average Madison or Minneapolis winter, then clearly they have not read his posts:lol:

Incorrect.  MSP would be fine, as long as it's outside the UHI.  Snow cover and retention is most important, as it looks like winter.  Would prefer a bit more than 50" of average annual snowfall, but it will do.  There is a huge winter gradient across the midwest, and from my perspective MSP is usually on the right side of it. 

This is precisely one of the reasons why I get so frustrated with our climo...because significantly better winters are really not that far away as the crow flies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Incorrect.  MSP would be fine, as long as it's outside the UHI.  Snow cover and retention is most important, as it looks like winter.  Would prefer a bit more than 50" of average annual snowfall, but it will do.  There is a huge winter gradient across the midwest, and from my perspective MSP is usually on the right side of it. 

This is precisely one of the reasons why I get so frustrated with our climo...because significantly better winters are really not that far away as the crow flies.

Based on your other posts, I'd have to see this to believe it.  Hard to imagine that you wouldn't be upset about a thaw going from 10" to 5" of snowcover, or having snowcover but the grass starting to show around the base of trees.  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I'm lost lol. Just a few years ago I remember MSP making headlines for hardly any snow on the ground mid winter (obviously this was a bad year and not the norm)...and Chicago has had quite a few 50+ inch winters the past 15 years which you have adamantly complained about. MSP also gets winter thaws sometimes. I am not trying to give you a hard time but this is not at all the beavis I know lol. Hell there's a "microclimate" area of Detroits northern suburbs that average more snow than MSP proper and do much better with snow retention than the rest of DTW metro when thaw hits as long as its not an all out torch. Green Bay only had a T of snow on the ground last i checked and thats farther north than MSP. I always assumed none of this was acceptable if its even a possibility to occur. I would think that nothing short of Marquette would suit you, and that's at a bare minimum:P. Japan is calling your name. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

Minneapolis spent the entire holiday season with no snow on the ground until the December 23rd snowstorm. They did not have a white Christmas in 2014, 2015, or 2018. Beavis would have already relocated. 

not only that...but as you mentioned in a recent post, there have been some crap winters...actually several just within the past 10-15 years alone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I think you are right. Considering Chicago only has a 6 month span of the year when freezing temperatures are likely, sounds like a palm tree haven to me.

a few of the cold hardy palms would come close to making it through many winters downtown, without too much (if any) protection.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

a few of the cold hardy palms would come close to making it through many winters downtown, without too much (if any) protection.

I did not realize there were cold Hardy palms that could handle multiple freezing nights for months on end. Then again I never really looked much into the species lol. Im more of a conifer guy myself.

• Like 2

I did not realize there were cold Hardy palms that could handle multiple freezing nights for months on end. Then again I never really looked much into the species lol. Im more of a conifer guy myself.

Would sail through most winters in Chicago that don’t have long stretches of sub freezing highs.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2255/#b

6520d7041ef83a087b94cfe172157fa5.jpg

23 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

hell yes! I'm working on getting a little boreal forest in my backyard. I have one big fir and then smaller spruces and pines I've recently planted. Took these pics on Christmas. have one more not pictured 

Very nice.  I'll be putting a dawn redwood in the front side yard in the spring.  It's a conifer, but it loses it's needles every fall which is pretty cool.  Can grow over 100ft tall eventually. :tomato:

Example of one below

ds.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Very nice.  I'll be putting a dawn redwood in the front side yard in the spring.  It's a conifer, but it loses it's needles every fall which is pretty cool.  Can grow over 100ft tall eventually. :tomato:

Example of one below

ds.jpg

Thanks. and wow thats awesome. I don't recall seeing a tree like that .

• Like 1

Example of one below
ds.jpg.aa6dcc06f82aaa2590d9f199359fa694.jpg

dawn redwoods are great.

a rare conifer that actually produces fall color.

hell yes! I'm working on getting a little boreal forest in my backyard. I have one big fir and then smaller spruces and pines I've recently planted. Took these pics on Christmas. have one more not pictured 
FB_IMG_1611018465505.jpg.6a49aae7e2d18fa5612ea8c9fcf8617d.jpg
20210118_201034.thumb.jpg.259b39ce0fe7732cca9a719b9a6cb1b8.jpg

you should try a red pine, if you haven’t already. they’re not as bulky as many other pines/spruces.

bef024ad51568d7fa4b83ac046a7adf1.jpg

• Like 1