• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

Im thinking most of January is a dud. Not saying something random couldn't come about, look at Texas-Alabama right now lol.

But overall Im okay with it because if it means February can be rocking then we have a warm early spring hopefully. I love March with highs in the 40s/50s and sun with clear chilly nights in the low 20s. 

11 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Im thinking most of January is a dud. Not saying something random couldn't come about, look at Texas-Alabama right now lol.

But overall Im okay with it because if it means February can be rocking then we have a warm early spring hopefully. I love March with highs in the 40s/50s and sun with clear chilly nights in the low 20s. 

Highs in the 40s in March is considered warm ? Sounds awfully cold to me. Im hoping to see 70s in March.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Highs in the 40s in March is considered warm ? Sounds awfully cold to me. Im hoping to see 70s in March.

haha thats very rare up here. 

you peeked my interest though so a quick search and I can see why you'd say that. 

Toronto average high early March is 33F low 24F      End of March 44F low 32F 

Indy- Early March 46F low 30F                                      End of March 58F low 40F 

Every single spring, those 70s-80s you guys get end up getting crushed crossing Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and translate to 30s/40s along the lake and 50/60s inland. Buffalo for example is significantly colder in the spring than Rochester. Im now 15 miles from both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie so my house will be 55F and sunny but if you drive to the shore its foggy and 35F. Its pretty cool to watch your truck thermometer  just plummet 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

It is so odd to see the misplaced winter warnings.  I really have no faith in it improving IMBY despite some discussion in the other threads.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.20.30 PM.png

It'll get better because it almost has to by default.  We can hope it turns out to be really good instead of "better" but no guarantees of that.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It'll get better because it almost has to by default.  We can hope it turns out to be really good instead of "better" but no guarantees of that.

impatience is all around, but a pattern change and pattern shakeup is imminent. The details are unknown, but its definitely a wintrier, more active look then the complete zzzz thats been in place at least a week.

With the dead of Winter approaching I looked up snowcover as a metric to see when the highest percentage of time with snow on the ground was for Detroit.  The highest likelihood of having snow on the ground is January 6th to February 17th, with the best time, aka the dead of Winter, being January 25th to February 3rd.  Interestingly it's almost 3 times as likely to have snow on the ground on March 1st as it is on December 1st.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

impatience is all around, but a pattern change and pattern shakeup is imminent. The details are unknown, but its definitely a wintrier, more active look then the complete zzzz thats been in place at least a week.

With the dead of Winter approaching I looked up snowcover as a metric to see when the highest percentage of time with snow on the ground was for Detroit.  The highest likelihood of having snow on the ground is January 6th to February 17th, with the best time, aka the dead of Winter, being January 25th to February 3rd.  Interestingly it's almost 3 times as likely to have snow on the ground on March 1st as it is on December 1st.

That's interesting that Detroit is 3 times as likely to have snow on fhe ground on March 1 than Dec 1. I can only assume the avg temps are colder on March 1 than Dec 1.

4 hours ago, Snownado said:

That's interesting that Detroit is 3 times as likely to have snow on fhe ground on March 1 than Dec 1. I can only assume the avg temps are colder on March 1 than Dec 1.

Avg high/low Dec 1 is 41/29 and Mar 1 is 40/24. But obviously you are heading in different directions going into December versus going into March. There have been stretches over the course of the climate record where December has been a very wintry month but for the most part January and February are harsher Winter months than December.  In recent years February seems to be the go to month for lots of snow.

16 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

haha thats very rare up here. 

you peeked my interest though so a quick search and I can see why you'd say that. 

Toronto average high early March is 33F low 24F      End of March 44F low 32F 

Indy- Early March 46F low 30F                                      End of March 58F low 40F 

Every single spring, those 70s-80s you guys get end up getting crushed crossing Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and translate to 30s/40s along the lake and 50/60s inland. Buffalo for example is significantly colder in the spring than Rochester. Im now 15 miles from both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie so my house will be 55F and sunny but if you drive to the shore its foggy and 35F. Its pretty cool to watch your truck thermometer  just plummet 

Our avg high and low on March 31 is 45F and 28F, respectively. But I agree, it can be tough to get warm temperatures especially near the Lake when spring starts up. YYZ didn't even crack 60F last April which has never happened before since records began. To make it even worse we didn't even crack 70F till May 22 lol. Now that's rare but it goes to show you how hard it can be to get warmth to cross the escarpment in spring. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

@michsnowfreak
Curious to look at the snowcover data for some other locations, where would I find that?

Best source I've seen is the NCDC  climate normals reports but it only has monthly data

Was looking at 1920-21 in Chicago, which is the least snowy winter of all-time with only 9.8".  On January 11, 1921, the seasonal total stood at 5.9", which is actually slightly ahead of the current 2020-21 total. 

December 1920 was the snowiest month that winter, and not like it was a great month of course.  There was a remarkable shutdown of snow from January onward.  

Before I get chided by michsnowfreak lol, I don't actually think this record will be broken, but it is interesting to look back and see just how bad it can be in your core winter months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Was looking at 1920-21 in Chicago, which is the least snowy winter of all-time with only 9.8".  On January 11, 1921, the seasonal total stood at 5.9", which is actually slightly ahead of the current 2020-21 total. 

December 1920 was the snowiest month that winter, and not like it was a great month of course.  There was a remarkable shutdown of snow from January onward.  

Before I get chided by michsnowfreak lol, I don't actually think this record will be broken, but it is interesting to look back and see just how bad it can be in your core winter months.

Centenniel? :D

• Haha 1

I hate inversions. Why does it seem like Indiana has more inversions compared to places on the east coast and the south ? Is it all because of Lake Michigan ? Im just trying to understand why clouds are more stubborn here than in Atlanta or New York.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if this were a real futility pattern, i’d probably be onboard and deep into the stats as well.

tis not the year though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

it has been quite a thing watching angrysummons quickly rise from being meh for so long, now to the the sub-forums most hated poster.

Been shitty for years, and most of us good posters saw it. Just took longer for others I guess.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Been shitty for years, and most of us good posters saw it. Just took longer for others I guess.

You are so full of yourself.  Stop riding Angrysummons so hard.  I don't agree with everything he posts, but he is allowed a voice.  You want to silence any opposition to anything you don't like.  Also, you just put down most of the forum according to you because only the "good posters" saw it and everyone else was to slow to figure it out.  I am not saying you have to like him or agree with him, but just ignore him if you don't like his posts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

21 hours ago, Danny8 said:

@michsnowfreak
Curious to look at the snowcover data for some other locations, where would I find that?

Best source I've seen is the NCDC  climate normals reports but it only has monthly data

I use https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org. It is an awesome tool you can play around with it all day to find what you want lol.

• Like 1