Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

6 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

joe always glitches out christmas-new years

you know it.

the week leading into christmas through a few days after new years is just about the only period i'll root for just about any sort of accumulation. outside of that, pass unless it's 6" or much greater.

• Like 1

I see that madwx made this just the banter thread instead of the bitch and moan thread. Well, I'm still using it for its God intended purpose. If I don't get some snow from either the first or second wave this week, I'm lighting this place up. (See seasonal snowfall below for northeast IN, one penny at a time).

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I see that madwx made this just the banter thread instead of the bitch and moan thread. Well, I'm still using it for its God intended purpose. If I don't get some snow from either the first or second wave this week, I'm lighting this place up. (See seasonal snowfall below for northeast IN, one penny at a time).

complaining goes in the Mid Atlantic forum.

• Haha 5

Getting a little old watching the n/w burbs of Chicago cashing in in recent years, while areas south of the city get less.  Most of northern IL averages a similar amount of snow as me, except closer to the lake in northeast IL (like Waukegan area) but you wouldn't know it based on how storms have gone in the past few years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Getting a little old watching the n/w burbs of Chicago cashing in in recent years, while areas south of the city get less.  Most of northern IL averages a similar amount of snow as me, except closer to the lake in northeast IL (like Waukegan area) but you wouldn't know it based on how storms have gone in the past few years.

I feel your pain man, for those of us downtown as well we feel the same way. And it angers me that all official reporting is ORD. It’s just not representative of the city

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I feel your pain man, for those of us downtown as well we feel the same way. And it angers me that all official reporting is ORD. It’s just not representative of the city

Yeah downtown hasn't had good luck with storms either.  And the few storms that did jackpot areas south of the city were too far south, like south of Kankakee.  I want an I-80 jackpot storm in northeast IL/northwest IN.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

The fast flow comments are interesting and make sense. I go back to the Winter of 2013-14, it was 86” in Toledo of just constant bombardment. Only one big dog on Super Bowl Sunday, but just constant 4-8” storms.

Take the European model for example. There was a time when this model had amazing accuracy even ten days out. Now with these ridiculous upgrades you cant even depend on this model the day of a storm. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Take the European model for example. There was a time when this model had amazing accuracy even ten days out. Now with these ridiculous upgrades you cant even depend on this model the day of a storm. :thumbsdown:

Won't argue with the idea that there has been stagnation in the progress of nwp, but I don't agree that the Euro was ever consistently great at 10 days out.  You can pick out some individual storms and stuff that the Euro was strikingly accurate with but the overall model skill scores still suck that far out.

• Like 1

Yeah lots of selective memory bias with how models performed in the past.   There’s not some magical thing that’s made them worse in the past few years.  They have gotten slightly better over the time.  For example take a look at the GFS v16.  It has been regularly outperforming the standard GFS so far the past few months 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, madwx said:

Yeah lots of selective memory bias with how models performed in the past.   There’s not some magical thing that’s made them worse in the past few years.  They have gotten slightly better over the time.  For example take a look at the GFS v16.  It has been regularly outperforming the standard GFS so far the past few months 

European model has not been the same since the upgrades. There is a reason this model used to have the nickname "King Euro"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madwx said:

Well now it does. It was a train wreck at launch. 

NWS text from Fort Stockton, TX:

Tonight

Snow. Low around 26. North wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Thursday

Snow, mainly before noon. High near 36. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Fort Stockton, TX averages 1" of snow per year. Meanwhile in Chicago...

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, mimillman said:

NWS text from Fort Stockton, TX:

Tonight

Snow. Low around 26. North wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Thursday

Snow, mainly before noon. High near 36. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Fort Stockton, TX averages 1" of snow per year. Meanwhile in Chicago...

good for them. Weather going to weather.