Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

On 11/27/2020 at 11:06 PM, KokomoWX said:

Indy TV meteorologist is predicting just six 1” or more snowfalls for the season. That would be awful if he is correct. 

FC914B99-2087-4E45-93F7-751F712AE001.jpeg

That's pretty much the way it's been around here anyway for the past like 5 years. Hoping for at least 1 good storm is pushing it in Central Indiana now

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I expect you will have cause to be in this thread a good amount in the next few months.  

Correct.  It doesn't just look hideous for Dec 1-15 imby, but for the entire Midwest.  No snow cover building up north, no cold up north, 552 thicknesses in southern Canada, temps above freezing nearly every day at INL.  It should be the depths of winter up there, highs near 20, lows near 0...or even colder.  Where is the cold air?  Some signs of a -EPO building on the EPS, but too far out to be excited about.  And I'll again bring up my main point that we shouldn't need 5,000 indices to line up right to get snow and cold in DJF.  It should just happen because the calendar says DJF.  The days are so short right now, and we're wasting it on boring crappy dry days with highs 35-45 and lows in the 20s.  That's not winter.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Correct.  It doesn't just look hideous for Dec 1-15 imby, but for the entire Midwest.  No snow cover building up north, no cold up north, 552 thicknesses in southern Canada, temps above freezing nearly every day at INL.  It should be the depths of winter up there, highs near 20, lows near 0...or even colder.  Where is the cold air?  Some signs of a -EPO building on the EPS, but too far out to be excited about.  And I'll again bring up my main point that we shouldn't need 5,000 indices to line up right to get snow and cold in DJF.  It should just happen because the calendar says DJF.  The days are so short right now, and we're wasting it on boring crappy dry days with highs 35-45 and lows in the 20s.  That's not winter.    

Given your well-known standards for a winter in Chicago, it was a pretty easy call to make.  :(

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

November was a terrible month for snow.  Total here was 10 inches...about 15-20" below average for the month. I currently have 3 inches otg.  Ohio has more snow.

December looks hostile as well.  

I was wondering how you been up there Bo, hadn’t seen you post anything in a while. Hopefully the UP and northern lower will start to get some cold air in the next couple weeks, otherwise it could be a bleak holiday season up there for tourists. But I did hear they had a crazy busy summer season so maybe they’ve had enough of us trolls for a little while. We booked some hotel rooms up across the UP for our annual snowmobile across the UP trip and we had one tell us if things don’t change we’ll have to stay somewhere else because the local hospital was using their rooms for overflow covid patients.

4 hours ago, slow poke said:

I was wondering how you been up there Bo, hadn’t seen you post anything in a while. Hopefully the UP and northern lower will start to get some cold air in the next couple weeks, otherwise it could be a bleak holiday season up there for tourists. But I did hear they had a crazy busy summer season so maybe they’ve had enough of us trolls for a little while. We booked some hotel rooms up across the UP for our annual snowmobile across the UP trip and we had one tell us if things don’t change we’ll have to stay somewhere else because the local hospital was using their rooms for overflow covid patients.

Hey, thx!

October had all the makings of a great beginning to winter with 27" of snow and a peak depth here of 13".  However, It has been all downhill since.  It was plenty enough cold in November,  just nothing to work with.  This time last year I had received 48" already... this year, 37" so far (which is actually pretty close to normal).  Will be interesting to see how the winter plays out.  2021 will be my eighth winter here, and I've never seen under 200" in snowfall in a season... the snow will come, it will get deep (I think).
As far as businesses go, despite a good summer, lot's of mom-n-pop's are on the brink, still.  The latest round of restriction's will really hurt because downstate snowmobiler's aren't exactly going to eat and drink outside this time of year.

I hope you're able to get your annual ride in.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, weatherbo said:

November was a terrible month for snow.  Total here was 10 inches...about 15-20" below average for the month. I currently have 3 inches otg.  Ohio has more snow.

December looks hostile as well.  

much of the UP has bare ground, so that's actually ok lol. Winter wonderland in Detroit yesterday but green in Sault Ste Marie. 

• Weenie 1

Ma nature isn’t giving up the goods here in N IL / S WI, but she’s finally delivering a little cold. Granite Peak up in Wausau opened last week, now the S WI hills and even Chestnut in Galena IL are getting a base layer down, just about everybody is opening some limited terrain this weekend. Chairs spin at Alpine Valley tomorrow.

bf57523dc67a584575e238993581c3f2.pngf8a49c8698c70ca370f836a9d6d4a72a.png9e81a4b35954e2f1c64b0134da3dd905.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Ma nature isn’t giving up the goods here in N IL / S WI, but she’s finally delivering a little cold. Granite Peak up in Wausau opened last week, now the S WI hills and even Chestnut in Galena IL are getting a base layer down, just about everybody is opening some limited terrain this weekend. Chairs spin at Alpine Valley tomorrow.

bf57523dc67a584575e238993581c3f2.pngf8a49c8698c70ca370f836a9d6d4a72a.png9e81a4b35954e2f1c64b0134da3dd905.png

Wow that’s kinda crazy, I just got back home about a hour ago from Boyne Falls, home of Boyne Mt ski resort, there not even close to opening up, they have “some” snow blown on a couple runs but nowhere close to looking like winter up there like the pictures you shared. They normally try to be open for thanksgiving but not this season, actually the only snow I saw today on my trip up and back was down here at home in northern St Clair county. Very strange start to the winter season up north again this year.

• Sad 1

I’ve been skiing since October 25th and have logged 4 days. Trollhaugen in Dresser WI was the first place in the lower 48 to open that day. My home hill (Welch Village) is finally is opening this weekend. Very lucky to have many options within an hour of my door.

Grew up skiing AV, Wilmot, Little Switzerland, Cascade, etc...that photo brings back memories. @luckyweather 

• Like 3

MQT
Interesting fact of the day is that for only the second time in our office's history, October (22.1 inches) received more snow than November (10.0 inches). The last time this occurred was 1990 Oct (9.6 inches) and Nov (2.5 inches). While this isn't a prediction for this year's winter, 1990-1991 winter season received a below normal snowfall with only 131.3 inches. Weather records for office date back to 1961. #906wx

yay :fulltilt:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

MQT
Interesting fact of the day is that for only the second time in our office's history, October (22.1 inches) received more snow than November (10.0 inches). The last time this occurred was 1990 Oct (9.6 inches) and Nov (2.5 inches). While this isn't a prediction for this year's winter, 1990-1991 winter season received a below normal snowfall with only 131.3 inches. Weather records for office date back to 1961. #906wx

yay :fulltilt:

I would give a lot of things for the severe season 1991 had not just locally but nationally. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

I would give a lot of things for the severe season 1991 had not just locally but nationally. 

2020 was supposed to be second coming of 1990 and busted hard so it would only be fair if we get that emotional roller coaster again

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

We’ve had 2 decent winter storms so far. I’m already ready for spring. In just 18 days the amount of sunlight will be increasing each day. 

Ive had 1 decent winter storm and 1 mediocre slop fest with 2 other events that ranged from 1-2". Im already over 10" for the season and hit my typical once a season 6" snowstorm. Ive checked off the boxes and with the 6" snow coming December 1st it made for the Christmas feeling. 

I got lucky threading the needle with the 2nd storm and personally I enjoy front loaded winters so im content now. It can rain, it can snow, I could get an ice storm, but since my main winter boxes have been checked and checked early im already playing with house money haha.