Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, gonna be weird having a different host.  I read that they taped episodes as recently as October 29, so his condition must have gone downhill pretty swiftly.

Trebek had done game shows since the 1970s, including High Rollers and Classic Concentration for instance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, gonna be weird having a different host.  I read that they taped episodes as recently as October 29, so his condition must have gone downhill pretty swiftly.

I personally hope they dont replace him and just end the show. I don't want to see another person host the show.

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

RIP Alex Trebek.  Loved watching Jeopardy over the years.

At one point almost all of us have sat under the learning tree of Jeopardy, it really is just sad even if it was expected eventually, ****ing cancer. A true institution of television that is irreplaceable.

6 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I personally hope they dont replace him and just end the show. I don't want to see another person host the show.

See, I don't know how I feel about this. While yes it would be impossible to replace him, Jeopardy itself is an institution. Its hard to imagine it not being on the air, it would be like The Price Is Right or Wheel Of Fortune not being on air.

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

See, I don't know how I feel about this. While yes it would be impossible to replace him, Jeopardy itself is an institution. Its hard to imagine it not being on the air, it would be like The Price Is Right or Wheel Of Fortune not being on air.

The show simply won't be the same without Alex. The Price is Right certainly isn't as good as it was with Bob Barker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stebo said:

7 hours ago, Snownado said:

The show simply won't be the same without Alex. The Price is Right certainly isn't as good as it was with Bob Barker.

I'm an old fart, so I remember the old daytime Jeopardy. I thought the same thing when the show was resurrected after Art Fleming was the host until 1975. If you get a chance, you should find a You Tube of the old show from the 60's - 70's.

EDIT: Here is final old Jeopardy

• Thanks 1

Ill be the first to complain haha 

currently rest of November and beginning of December looks like write offs. 

Im going to say we challenge the 2011-2012 winter in the GTA. I think we see one moderate snowstorm this year of 3-6" but most of the winter will be like today with off and on lake effect giving us a dusting-0.5" followed by quick warm ups. Rinse and repeat 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ill be the first to complain haha 

currently rest of November and beginning of December looks like write offs. 

Im going to say we challenge the 2011-2012 winter in the GTA. I think we see one moderate snowstorm this year of 3-6" but most of the winter will be like today with off and on lake effect giving us a dusting-0.5" followed by quick warm ups. Rinse and repeat 

What was the total snowfall in 2011-12 there? I always find it strange that every year when a mild pattern is showing up some start fearing 2011-12 lol. I actually don't fully disagree with you, I think its going to be a roller coaster of ups and downs, but I will be shocked if a stormy nina fails to materialize and snowfall ends up as bad as you fear 

• Like 1

What was the total snowfall in 2011-12 there? I always find it strange that every year when a mild pattern is showing up some start fearing 2011-12 lol. I actually don't fully disagree with you, I think its going to be a roller coaster of ups and downs, but I will be shocked if a stormy nina fails to materialize and snowfall ends up as bad as you fear 
FWIW the line between a "stormy Nina" and a dry Nina for the Midwest seems to be a fine one. I'm not particularly well versed in what to look for to predict the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Euro is looking juicy for Michigan this upcoming weekend. GFS starting to move to the Euro solution too. Euro gives me 4.8” and GFS gives me 2.3” so I’ll take that for how bad this November has been so far. Received 0.12” last night, our first accumulating snow of the season.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

about 16" fell that winter with January being the biggest month with 6.4" 2nd place was February with 4.2" and 3rd was December with 3". Then November, March, April all had just under 1" 

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

about 16" fell that winter with January being the biggest month with 6.4" 2nd place was February with 4.2" and 3rd was December with 3". Then November, March, April all had just under 1" 

oh wow. That's way worse than here (26"). Just curious why you think it will be THAT bad...that has to be rare for Toronto.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

oh wow. That's way worse than here (26"). Just curious why you think it will be THAT bad...that has to be rare for Toronto.

Ideally its not that bad like 2011-2012 but being in the eastern Great Lakes we have even less room in moderate La Ninas compared to the rest of this subforum. Buffalo and Syracuse get lucky because of Lake Effect helping them at least see snow. In those moderate-Strong La Ninas Toronto tends to mimic Boston and Pittsburgh instead of central and western Great Lakes.

Now this is the banter and for all I know there is one big dog that's going to pop in between these warm spells and drop a foot of snow and ill have to eat these words haha.  

• Like 2

2020 must be affecting the model sites as well lol.  COD hasn't worked right the past few days, and WeatherBell has been running like shit lately too.  Tropical Tidbits was ruined by their changes they made last year when they made everything slow to load.  With Pivotal Weather still offering free Euro stuff I probably shouldn't be bothering with WXBell anymore anyway.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

2020 must be affecting the model sites as well lol.  COD hasn't worked right the past few days, and WeatherBell has been running like shit lately too.  Tropical Tidbits was ruined by their changes they made last year when they made everything slow to load.  With Pivotal Weather still offering free Euro stuff I probably shouldn't be bothering with WXBell anymore anyway.  

I actually just realized you're right about TT being slow to load. Idk how I never noticed.

Huge fan of pivotal. I remember back in the day using a borrowed Accuweather Premium login to get all my Euro data haha
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 4:53 PM, slow poke said:

In my opinion, which none of you asked for lol, this long warm stretch of weather is coming at a perfect time if you’re a fan of winter type weather during the holidays. I’m just a weather observer, not a trained met but weather patterns remind me of a rubber band, the longer you stretch it/pull it in one direction the harder it wants to snap back the other way. If this pattern gets stretched till mid/late December I would bet it will snap back hard to cold after that. We’ll see but I like our chances of a white Christmas if we end of having a warm/green thanksgiving.

I guess we’ll have to see how the next 30-40 days plays out weather wise to see what it’s gonna be like around the holidays but we’re having a white thanksgiving up here in northern lower Michigan again but it’s melting pretty fast. That could be a good sign because it’s really more about being warm or cold then it is about having snow on the ground at this point. We drove up Tuesday night, I-75 was horrible! Vehicles spun off in the ditch everywhere from Standish exit north. Worst drive up in a really long time actually. We had about 4”-5” total yesterday morning when we got up and actually road the snowmobiles some to burn the old gas out of them a little. I saw reports of 4” just south  west of here and even a 6.5” report from a guy down in Cadillac that rode his snowmobile 70 miles yesterday! Parts of that area down there have some pretty high elevation, 1700’ ish, so that probably helped them get the higher totals. Happy thanksgiving you guys, looking forward to eating to much today and watching the lions lose again, great thanksgiving traditions!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

Indy TV meteorologist is predicting just six 1” or more snowfalls for the season. That would be awful if he is correct. 

FC914B99-2087-4E45-93F7-751F712AE001.jpeg

So is he saying there will be 6 snows of exactly 1" ? Or 6 snows of 1" or more ? If he meant 1" or more then I guess 6 snows wouldn't be bad if each of those 6 averaged a substantial amount of snow.