Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

21 hours ago, Snownado said:

I wonder if it's easier to get negative departures of that magnitude than it would be to get positive departures ? I couldn't imagine Denver having a high temp of 106 in late October.

Agree, as temps in these locations don’t follow a normal distribution. Most days are slightly above the mean, with relatively few days that are much colder than the mean in order to balance things out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Wasn't Zeta suppose to be a strong TS at landfall when it was still 5 days away? Yet again a storm that is underhyped is now going to overperform, basically a rule of thumb at this point. 

It's ludicrous to even consider a CAT3 hurricane making landfall this afternoon, a true 2020 feature.

Pretty much

1 hour ago, luckyweather said:

c3e21d49d95406ee40a12ddec190f365.jpg

Made snow for the first time (ever) this morning. Have had some good sub freezing temps but the humidity has been through the roof. This morning got the wet bulb down below 27 and voila!

That’s pretty cool lucky, looks like you’re on a hill there, would you sled or ski down it if you made enough? Compressed air, water, what else you got going on there?

• Like 1

That’s pretty cool lucky, looks like you’re on a hill there, would you sled or ski down it if you made enough? Compressed air, water, what else you got going on there?

Thank you, I’m pretty stoked for the winter now that I don’t need so much to go right to have a snowpack (still need cold of course).

Slope is mostly about 15 degrees but drops off at 40 degrees for about 20’ with a nice run out at the end. For however long we have decent snow we build a terrain park and the kids shred at home, they ski and snowboard so whatever they are feeling like at the moment. We also have a trail down the slope in the woods and that’s where my wife and I like to ski and play, getting too old for the rails and jumps. The plan is to start laying down a base and hold it as long as possible, ideally well into spring, making snow as long as I can.

We are on a well and the pump and pressure tank are new so the water is “free”, the snow gun itself has specially engineered nozzles to put out very fine droplets. A standard (electric for lower noise) pressure washer gives the water flow oomph and the air compressor shoots a beam of compressed air straight up at the water as it exits the gun. This shreds and shears the droplets and so long as the wet bulb is 27 or under they crystallize into snowflakes.

The only special ingredient is the snow gun itself, plans are on the web and you can build it for a few hundred $ in parts.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Thank you, I’m pretty stoked for the winter now that I don’t need so much to go right to have a snowpack (still need cold of course).

Slope is mostly about 15 degrees but drops off at 40 degrees for about 20’ with a nice run out at the end. For however long we have decent snow we build a terrain park and the kids shred at home, they ski and snowboard so whatever they are feeling like at the moment. We also have a trail down the slope in the woods and that’s where my wife and I like to ski and play, getting too old for the rails and jumps. The plan is to start laying down a base and hold it as long as possible, ideally well into spring, making snow as long as I can.

We are on a well and the pump and pressure tank are new so the water is “free”, the snow gun itself has specially engineered nozzles to put out very fine droplets. A standard (electric for lower noise) pressure washer gives the water flow oomph and the air compressor shoots a beam of compressed air straight up at the water as it exits the gun. This shreds and shears the droplets and so long as the wet bulb is 27 or under they crystallize into snowflakes.

The only special ingredient is the snow gun itself, plans are on the web and you can build it for a few hundred $ in parts.

That's actually super cool man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyweather said:

Dang, that’s awesome! Guess we know who the coolest dad in your neighborhood is :)  how much vertical drop you have to work with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Probably hard to know for sure but I wonder if tonight will be one of the most sleepless nights in America since right after 9/11.  You can feel the tension.  Just remember that no matter what, the sun will rise and we'll make it through.  :hug:

Since this is a weather forum, Mr. Moderator, I have sleepless nights due to dry slot fears with just about every Snowstorm, LOL.  NW Ohio is notorious for the nefarious Dry Slot.  

Wait, were you referring to politics??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

Since this is a weather forum, Mr. Moderator, I have sleepless nights due to dry slot fears with just about every Snowstorm, LOL.  NW Ohio is notorious for the nefarious Dry Slot.  

Of course not.  I am referring to Hurricane Eta.

• Haha 2

This is the most true comment ever. Haha I can hear the sound of sleet hitting my roof still as I see the radar and a giant blue swath over Ann Arbor and Detroit still in my head.

Hopefully we get some snow around the holidays when I come up to visit
  • Weenie 1

In my opinion, which none of you asked for lol, this long warm stretch of weather is coming at a perfect time if you’re a fan of winter type weather during the holidays. I’m just a weather observer, not a trained met but weather patterns remind me of a rubber band, the longer you stretch it/pull it in one direction the harder it wants to snap back the other way. If this pattern gets stretched till mid/late December I would bet it will snap back hard to cold after that. We’ll see but I like our chances of a white Christmas if we end of having a warm/green thanksgiving.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, slow poke said:

In my opinion, which none of you asked for lol, this long warm stretch of weather is coming at a perfect time if you’re a fan of winter type weather during the holidays. I’m just a weather observer, not a trained met but weather patterns remind me of a rubber band, the longer you stretch it/pull it in one direction the harder it wants to snap back the other way. If this pattern gets stretched till mid/late December I would bet it will snap back hard to cold after that. We’ll see but I like our chances of a white Christmas if we end of having a warm/green thanksgiving.

I agree!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm almost 35 and he's been hosting the show longer than I've been alive.

Yeah, gonna be weird having a different host.  I read that they taped episodes as recently as October 29, so his condition must have gone downhill pretty swiftly.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, gonna be weird having a different host.  I read that they taped episodes as recently as October 29, so his condition must have gone downhill pretty swiftly.

Yes, I thought the same. They are still going to air all of the shows he taped. I believe that takes it up to around Christmas.

• Like 2