• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2020/21 Banter Thread

madwx

With all the COVID talk and the fact that we're weeks into Fall already we need a fresh start on this board.

This upcoming week is going to be lovely but the lack of rain/severe this fall has been disappointing.  Hoping with can get some dynamic fall systems toward the end of the month that can bring some rain/wind/severe and backside snow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Took Wednesday-Friday off this week so I can have a 5-day stretch to enjoy the nice weather. When I put in for the days off the forecast was still in fantasy range; but it worked out nicely. :sun:

Nice. :thumbsup: Typical mid-late Fall weather this week with a warming trend by the weekend. It's Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada so definitely looking forward to a stellar long weekend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Euro and CFS are not only an overall torch for the rest of Oct, but also for Nov as well.

Biggest torch month on Euro is actually Jan.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The Euro winter prog was not the greatest look.

If that's the case I'll have started the most popular thread in forum history.   My only hope is for more moisture, in whatever form.  I can handle warm if there are storms to track

• Like 2

With today's stunning disappointment for sunshine, and a few hours of possible quality weather on Monday, followed by cold temps and rain next week, I question the seasonal outlook of a warmer than average fall. I don't check the 500 mb forecast from any model, it'll just put me in a bad mood. I doubt I'll get a blizzard or a 20ºC Christmas day with some sun so why would I have any joy for the upcoming period of Zzzz.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, Snowstorms said:

Nice. :thumbsup: Typical mid-late Fall weather this week with a warming trend by the weekend. It's Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada so definitely looking forward to a stellar long weekend

I don't see a ~29ºC anywhere on my 7-day so no stellar weather except maybe for 1 hour on Monday.

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

What happened to that?

Exactly :fulltilt::fulltilt::fulltilt::angry:

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Was supposed to be sunny today. Instead it's cloudy and dark. On the bright side, hit 70F for the first time this month. Might be our last for the year. 

I was in the middle of responding to what you posted on Mon but yes, wtf happened this morning/early afternoon? I even had some fine mist briefly at 1 pm!! :angry: The bolded idea makes me want to bug out, I'm not hanging around til May with that ****.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckyweather said:

I appreciate that you’ve converted your temp to F for us uncultured Americans ;-)

:lmao: To be honest, I know some right off the boat. But most of the time I have to google "F to C" just so you guys can understand. I personally like C > F and km/hr > mph but I prefer inches > cm for snow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I was in the middle of responding to what you posted on Mon but yes, wtf happened this morning/early afternoon? I even had some fine mist briefly at 1 pm!! :angry: The bolded idea makes me want to bug out, I'm not hanging around til May with that ****.

I'm surprised with your preference for warmer weather you're living in the snowbelt haha. But I agree. I honestly thought we'd have an awesome sunny week but it's been gloomy. I suspect it's because the lakes are still running warm even though the air temperature is cold creating more condensation and hence more clouds and mist. 

20's are increasingly rare from Nov-Mar in Ontario. We might get the odd one or two in March but that's rare. YYZ has only hit 20C 4 times since 2000. 1980's and 1990's had several but prior to that it was maybe once every few years. Otherwise, our best chance at hitting 20C again is April 2021 so strap in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some shockingly cold temps for October are occurring, or will soon occur, in MT/WY/CO/NE.  Laramie, WY may drop to -16, which would be the coldest temp on record so early in the season (October record low is -18 on 10/30/1993). 

Most impressive relative to climo may be Billings, MT.  Tomorrow morning, it may hit 4...which would shatter the record low of 18 set in 1997.  Monday morning may hit -2; the record low is 22 set in 1970.  Breaking a daily record by 24 degrees...not bad. :stun:  Records in Billings go back to 1934.  There has only been one sub-zero October day in Billings in recorded history (-7 on 10/30/1991). 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Some shockingly cold temps for October are occurring, or will soon occur, in MT/WY/CO/NE.  Laramie, WY may drop to -16, which would be the coldest temp on record so early in the season (October record low is -18 on 10/30/1993). 

Most impressive relative to climo may be Billings, MT.  Tomorrow morning, it may hit 4...which would shatter the record low of 18 set in 1997.  Monday morning may hit -2; the record low is 22 set in 1970.  Breaking a daily record by 24 degrees...not bad. :stun:  Records in Billings go back to 1934.  There has only been one sub-zero October day in Billings in recorded history (-7 on 10/30/1991). 

Impressive

On 10/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, Hoosier said:

Impressive

This same airmass has led to an Ice Storm Warning for OKC...in October:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Norman OK
828 AM CDT Mon Oct 26 2020

...Periods of Freezing Rain and Sleet Expected This Morning
Through Early Wednesday...

OKZ007-008-012-013-016>020-022>027-033>038-TXZ083>085-262200-
/O.UPG.KOUN.WW.Y.0009.000000T0000Z-201027T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KOUN.IS.W.0001.201026T1328Z-201028T1800Z/
/O.UPG.KOUN.WS.A.0004.201027T0000Z-201028T1200Z/
Grant-Kay-Garfield-Noble-Custer-Blaine-Kingfisher-Logan-Payne-
Washita-Caddo-Canadian-Oklahoma-Lincoln-Grady-Harmon-Greer-Kiowa-
Jackson-Tillman-Comanche-Hardeman-Foard-Wilbarger-
Including the cities of Medford, Pond Creek, Lamont, Wakita,
Ponca City, Blackwell, Enid, Perry, Weatherford, Clinton,
Watonga, Geary, Okeene, Kingfisher, Hennessey, Okarche, Guthrie,
Stillwater, Cordell, Burns Flat, Sentinel, Anadarko, Hinton,
Yukon, Concho, El Reno, Mustang, Oklahoma City, Chandler, Stroud,
Prague, Meeker, Davenport, Wellston, Chickasha, Tuttle, Hollis,
Mangum, Granite, Hobart, Snyder, Altus, Frederick, Lawton,
Quanah, Crowell, and Vernon
828 AM CDT Mon Oct 26 2020

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM CDT WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Periods of significant icing through at least Wednesday
  morning. Ice accumulations up to one-half inch will be common,
  with some locations possibly receiving upwards of one inch.
  There will also be accumulations of sleet.

* WHERE...Central, northern, and southwest Oklahoma and western
  and northern Texas.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM CDT Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Expect power outages and widespread tree damage due to
  the ice. Travel could become very dangerous.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10th anniversary of the Octobomb.  Besides being about the deepest non-tropical system you will ever see in the lower 48, it brought a very unusual tornado outbreak from a temporal perspective.  It got started after 4 am in Illinois and was basically over in this sub by noon.  Not going to find many tornado outbreaks in the Midwest that fall in that time window.  

• Like 3

High temp today in Sidney NE was 14.  Normal high is 61; departure -47.  

High temp today in Laramie WY was 6.  Normal high is 52; departure -46.  

High temp today in Denver CO was 16.  Normal high is 61; departure -45.  

High temp today in Dalhart TX was 24.  Normal high is 68; departure of -44.  

High temp today in Cheyenne WY was 14.  Normal high is 55; departure -41.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Legit

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I wonder if it's easier to get negative departures of that magnitude than it would be to get positive departures ? I couldn't imagine Denver having a high temp of 106 in late October.

• Like 1