• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Delta

hlcater

The 12z GFS has backed off on stronger shear over the N. GOM. That doesn't mean it won't come back on the next run. That being said, there is a possibility that an intense Delta might not be rapidly weakening due to shear versus just leveling off and slowly weakening upon landfall. The SSTs around 26-26.5°C several hundered miles south of the coast will definitely halt intensification or start a weakening trend, but if Delta is hauling ass northward and at Cat 3 to 4 intensity, there is a chance it could still be a major at landfall if the weakening trend starts off slowly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The 12z GFS has backed off on stronger shear over the N. GOM. That doesn't mean it won't come back on the next run. That being said, there is a possibility that an intense Delta might not be rapidly weakening due to shear versus just leveling off and slowly weakening upon landfall. The SSTs around 26-26.5°C several hundered miles south of the coast will definitely halt intensification or start a weakening trend, but if Delta is hauling ass northward and at Cat 3 to 4 intensity, there is a chance it could still be a major at landfall if the weakening trend starts off slowly.

we seen a few storms where projected shear near landfall never materialized even though the models said it would happen..

3 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Cat1/2 at landfall seems to be the ceiling, even with quick forward speed:

atlpot.png

Hurricane Delta - "Hold my beer and watch this"

A little to early to write her / him / it off with a low intensity forecast.  If Delta gets through a full ERC and accelerates a bit you could easily be dealing with another deteriorating Cat 4 storm similar to a Katrina.  I hate that comparison, but its valid nonetheless.

Gotta consider the possibility of it hitting the Yucatan now since it's south of the forecast track
This could be a Cozumel/Cancun strike, yes. And a powerful one at that. I am aggressive on initial maximum intensity by the Yucatán Channel regardless if it strikes the NE Yucatán or skirts through.

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
10 minutes ago, Amped said:
Gotta consider the possibility of it hitting the Yucatan now since it's south of the forecast track

This could be a Cozumel/Cancun strike, yes. And a powerful one at that. I am aggressive on initial maximum intensity by the Yucatán Channel regardless if it strikes the NE Yucatán or skirts through.

i remember when hurricane gilbert hit that area of mexico a wind gust was recorded at 218 mph...

13 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
19 minutes ago, Amped said:

I dont know if a strike to Cancun or Cozumel weakens it much. That area is completely flat and it will have a quick forward speed at that point spending probably less than 6 hours over land. 

12 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
17 minutes ago, Amped said:

Hard to get in the center of a pinhole eye, but Cancun is in a pretty bad spot.