• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Speculation About Winter 20-21

bluewave

some real dud winters had a little snow the first week in December including last year then have a dry spell until February...1949-50 and 2007-08 come to mind...2005-06 too but snowfall was heavier esp;ecially in Feb...its nice to see this year has some hope and I hope it lasts thru New Years day...

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Lets get that ULL further east depicted on the gfs and let the games begin. Pattern should become more favorable as we get into December. Hopefully we can cash in.

Last December storm was terrible here in the city .

The last storm that was good at all in the city was March 21, 2018, or January 4, 2018 depending on how you feel about temps.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

These early December +PNA spikes have favored the interior and higher elevation SE and MA for the heaviest snows. I can remember reading the tweets with the big December 2018 +PNA snow in NC. That one had more cold to work with than this year coming off the cold November in the East and more -EPO.

06C298FF-981E-42CF-9CA4-835B4C8CFB99.gif.f617e9d508ca31d719f40a8dd3aaaea8.gif

Its hard to get an all out snowstorm in early December on the coast without cold air but its doable. Even the Dec 2009 storm had issues. 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:28 AM, LibertyBell said:

the issue was that we waited for it to snow all day and the heavy snow occurred in the middle of the night when most us were asleep.  I HATE THAT

And it was a lot less than we were expecting; like all but one storm that year, the bulk of it happened south of our region. We still wound up with 9-12 or so in some places, but overall it set the tone for the rest of the winter. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

And it was a lot less than we were expecting; like all but one storm that year, the bulk of it happened south of our region. We still wound up with 9-12 or so in some places, but overall it set the tone for the rest of the winter. 

Yeah I like long lasting storms even if the rates are only moderate.  Some of our best storms have been like that.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, LibertyBell said:

Yeah I like long lasting storms even if the rates are only moderate.  Some of our best storms have been like that.

the blizzard of 1964 was a long cold storm with winds and drifting...the blizzard of 96 was the best one of all...some short storms a foot or more...

Feb 67 and Dec 2000...were less than 18 hours...Feb 1983 was another 18 hour storm...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

the blizzard of 1964 was a long cold storm with winds and drifting...the blizzard of 96 was the best one of all...some short storms a foot or more...

Feb 67 and Dec 2000...were less than 18 hours...Feb 1983 was another 18 hour storm...

some of my favorite storms of all time, but I think Jan 2016 tops the list.  That infamous Feb 1922 storm would be the best of all time by far if only it was all snow.....  Feb 1961 is up there too!

• Rjay unpinned this topic