Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

On 3/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, smokeybandit said:

28" of snow in the months prior to the blizzard. 26" since then. 

Yup, fairly typical for many years to have 3/1 as the midway point. I had 41.5" pre-blizzard thanks to an early start, then 28.3" since, guessing we'll get about another 5-10" more to finish with a respectable 75-80" on the season. Average for me is about 55".

33 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Still snowing in places down here. Taos Powderhorn snow pack may cross 80 inches for the first time since cold season tomorrow. 

Loma Linda (southern Taos County, NM south of Sipapu Ski at 9,000ft) got over 13". It's been a good March there with over 2 feet so far.

While I still have them on my phone I wanted to share some pics from the mega-storm.  These are from our house 4 miles southwest of Bellvue CO.  We got about 3 ft. at our place and much more (45"+) just to the west of us.  Yesterday I hiked up the mountain behind us and there is still 18-24" in the trees/north facing hills.

Yep, quite a storm.

snowpic5.jpg

snowpic6.jpg

snowpic7.jpg

snowpic8.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't really think this would be much of a storm for the Denver area, but I guess it was.  My area dropped from about 70 degrees yesterday to 33 degrees right now. My area probably had wind gusts that were 40mph, but most likely not as bad as Cheyenne, the mountains or farther east in Colorado, all of which had at least 50mph wind gusts I think.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, smokeybandit said:

A nice cold front, but less than 1" of snow. The good stuff stayed to the north and west (story of my winter).

Looks like spring in full force for the near future though

What's your season total? Most years, Parker area (especially >6000) is a good 10-15 inches or more greater than DIA.

Cyclically, this is the warm part of the pattern of the repeating 46-day cycle that's been in place since July. There has been consistent +10 degree warmth down here in each prior cycle (first half of February was quite warm as an example).

I do think there is one pretty major cold shot later in the month though, going by the timing of the prior cold shots. You guys probably aren't completely done with snow just yet.

On 4/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, raindancewx said:

I do think there is one pretty major cold shot later in the month though, going by the timing of the prior cold shots. You guys probably aren't completely done with snow just yet.

Yeah, all the fruit tree blossoms have frozen 2 years in a row, might as well make it a 3rd...:fulltilt:

my place

total snow October 1st-April 1st 67.2" (Fort Collins - CSU: 60.7") (Loveland Co-op: 69.4")

total precip October 1st-April 1st  : 6.75" (Fort Collins-CSU: 6.05") (Loveland Co-op: 6.93")

I didn't count September snowfall, as that was kind of a weird out-of-season snow storm that was a pretty weird snow-to-liquid ratio.

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

my place

total snow since October 1st 67.2" (Fort Collins - CSU: 60.7")

total precip since October 1st 9.97" (Fort Collins-CSU: 6.05")

I didn't count September snowfall, as that was kind of a weird out-of-season snow storm that was a pretty weird snow-to-liquid ratio.

Wow that's wet!!

My automated rain gauge is crappy with snow (undercounts like crazy) but guessing our precipitation since 9/1 is about 6". 76.0" snow, counting the bit in Sept and also the half inch last night.