• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Lowest daily SOI value since late November on the update tonight. I've been targeting roughly week two of March for some good storms out here, either New Mexico, Colorado, or both for a while now. We have SOI support for something 3/5-3/6, and the Bering Straight Rule supports something 3/12-3/16, given that the big 970 mb (ish) low moved south of Kamchatka today.

Date Tahiti (hPa) Darwin (hPa) Daily Contribution 30 day Av. SOI 90 day Av. SOI
24 Feb 2021 1010.22 1006.20 -3.46 14.79 15.65
23 Feb 2021 1011.86 1005.55 7.54 15.24 15.75
22 Feb 2021 1012.44 1003.90 18.25 15.18 15.73

1 hour ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Took a while for the column to saturate here- there were pretty strong echoes by about 6 PM, but at 7:09 the temp was still 36 with a DP of 16. Then the temp dropped 5 degrees and the DP rose 6 degrees in 5 minutes, and finally things saturated by about 8 and now we have lots of pretty aggregates.

5" of snow reported in downtown Denver.

This was definitely one of the weirdest storms I've experienced in terms of snowfall distribution. Contrary to typical patterns, a big blob sat over the Denver Metro area all night- not the foothills as much, not Boulder. We were on the very southeast edge of the heavier snow with 11.5" of fluff. I wouldn't be surprised to see some legitimate 15" numbers coming out of the Denver/Aurora area as they come in.

Pretty impressively dry winter nationally. Especially since this winter will likely be thought of as "stormy" for the US. Albuquerque is already guaranteed a pretty snowy season overall, but the winter itself had only 60% of normal precipitation. The real dry spots were the Montana/North Dakota border, SE NM, and California generally. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Would have been my best storm of the winter with colder temps.  

Argh! Thought you might be getting snow. Pouring rain here all evening, weird for early March. Changes to snow for a minute then resumes raining. 0.26" rain so far, would have been 5 inches of snow in last week's storm.

Late February to early March has actually been seeing a bunch of little lows moving to the southern tip of Kamchatka from NW to SE. Should be more systems in late March and early April moving in favorable paths for CO, NM, and WY. Fantasy range GFS has another 970 mb low south of Kamchatka on 3/17. My guess is that's the end of the sequence, and it would show up here around 4/3-4/7 if it verified.