Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 General Discussion

cyclone77

26 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

The NWS rly screwed this one up. They still haven't called for more than 'scarttered snow showers' with no accumulations. No advisories. Nothing. We've had in excess of a foot of snow - and it's still snowing hard here in Calumet.

Either way...I love it.

Great pics Will.  MQT mentioned a couple days ago in their afd discussion that there was a high bust potential for the forecast. 

Anyway, snow has picked up again this morning after stopping completely earlier.  Picked up another quick inch at least with a meso-low that drifted through (probably the burst of snow you mentioned this morning).

Pic I just grabbed from my doorbell cam.  Looks like mid-winter already!

652674894_IMG_0687(1).PNG.b7e1f98288d46e6914df1b526b17376e.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Great pics Will.  MQT mentioned a couple days ago in their afd discussion that there was a high bust potential for the forecast. 

Anyway, snow has picked up again this morning after stopping completely earlier.  Picked up another quick inch at least with a meso-low that drifted through (probably the burst of snow you mentioned this morning).

Pic I just grabbed from my doorbell cam.  Looks like mid-winter already!

652674894_IMG_0687(1).PNG.b7e1f98288d46e6914df1b526b17376e.PNG

Great pictures from you and Will, thanks for sharing. Do you think the snow cover is here to stay for the season? If so, is this the earliest it been this deep this early since you’ve lived there? We were up ATV riding at our place this weekend, had off and on snow showers but nothing stuck. 

5 hours ago, slow poke said:

Great pictures from you and Will, thanks for sharing. Do you think the snow cover is here to stay for the season? If so, is this the earliest it been this deep this early since you’ve lived there? We were up ATV riding at our place this weekend, had off and on snow showers but nothing stuck. 

This is my eighth October here and it usually snows without fail every year.  I think the most I've seen really early was Oct 5th, 2018 when a very wet five inches fell.  Most years there is snow on the ground by Halloween but usually it's not anything too deep, so this is by far the most snow I've seen in October-  two feet in the past 23 days and like I mentioned earlier, 20" falling since the 20th.

The snow on the ground is on the wet side and the temps should remain cool enough for the snow to hang around a while, thawing and refreezing, making it more stubborn to melt off, especially with the increasingly low sun angle and living on a north facing ridge.  However, the ground is still fairly warm and we're entering long stretch of mild-ish, benign weather, so I expect the snow to slowly whittle away to scraps... although anything is possible...  I'm consistently amazed at the freakish nature of the weather up here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

First snow of the season here this morning.

Picked up 0.6”, and even had solid periods of SN.

Officially a trace at O'Hare.  You would think they had something measurable after being down to 0.75-1 mile visibility for about 2 hours.

Guidance suggesting a little surge of precip/possible snow around here tomorrow morning.  

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Officially a trace at O'Hare.  You would think they had something measurable after being down to 0.75-1 mile visibility for about 2 hours.

Guidance suggesting a little surge of precip/possible snow around here tomorrow morning.  

They should have, they had about .05" liquid equivalent.

Let’s just say it’s likely wrong, and that I can’t get into it.

• Confused 2

It was 34 at my place while snowing, too, and nothing stuck to anything. It's not terribly surprising for snow to not stick during the day when it isn't moderate or heavy. The actual vis reported by the RVRs (runway visual range sensors) was not 3/4SM more than a few minutes, nor was it a mile for that long. 

21 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It was 34 at my place while snowing, too, and nothing stuck to anything. It's not terribly surprising for snow to not stick during the day when it isn't moderate or heavy. The actual vis reported by the RVRs (runway visual range sensors) was not 3/4SM more than a few minutes, nor was it a mile for that long. 

Was going off of the 5 min obs, which had 1 mile or less from 9:15 am to 11:11 am.

Would've thought a favorable surface (such as a snowboard) would have picked up a little bit, but I guess not.  I only care because it would have been the first time on record for Chicago to have measurable snow in 2 consecutive Octobers.

• Like 1

Several pics from by ORD that had a few tenths.

Like I said, it’s likely wrong, but I can’t get into it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:17 PM, Spartman said:

Another overcast Sunday. Suicide weather. Three Sundays out of four were like that this month, two with rainfall. Tomorrow will be the third overcast Monday in a row for this month. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Have also yet to experience the first freeze of the season. The latest first freeze is on November 25, 1931.

Just how far south are you? Been 32F or below 5X since 9/19 here.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Just how far south are you? Been 32F or below 5X since 9/19 here.

I can't speak for spartman, but 33.8 is the lowest in my backyard so far this year and I am a little farther north than you.  Sometimes other things play into it like a big warm lake to my west.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I can't speak for spartman, but 33.8 is the lowest in my backyard so far this year and I am a little farther north than you.  Sometimes other things play into it like a big warm lake to my west.

Wow even parts of Tennessee have had a freeze and parts of Michigan hasn't ?

Low of 12 this morning, with rather breezy conditions out of the SW today. Heading back to normal temps for a while. Bye-bye false winter.

Oh, and BTW, I did mention that winter would be starting mid - Nov in my Fall forecast, so we have a couple weeks to go yet. Seems models are hinting at such a prospect. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osubrett2 said:

ILN has the Frost/Freeze program up for most of the CWA.

frostFreezeStatus.png

Coldest temperature so far this season:

-CMH: 33 on 10/17

-CVG: 34 on 10/17

-DAY: 35 on 10/16

Never froze here in Union County. Got down to 32 on the 17th, bot only had a light frost. Looks like a widespread freeze early next week.