Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 General Discussion

cyclone77

Guest ovweather
16 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Starting to get concerned about flooding with training storms 

Really needed in central IN after the two month drought.

Areas just south of Louisville got 5 inches of rain yesterday / early today with no flooding and our dry spell wasn’t nearly as bad as around Indy, so the ground can take it.

What a storm for Minneapolis. im a little jealous but not too much, winter is so long and Fall so short. It will be interesting to see how long the snow sticks around as it's so early. We had 0.7" on May 10 that melted in about 3 hours. meanwhile  our 9" snowstorm last November 11th didn't fully melt for 11 days, and that was "only" 3 weeks later in the calendar year.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Watch this be our biggest event of the year. 

At 7.9" its definitely possible. 9.2" on November 11 was our biggest event last winter. Ninas are so active i personally don't think it'll be MSP biggest storm, however in a different winter I could absolutely see a scenario where an 8" storm on Oct 20 that melts in a few days is the biggest event, 2 months before the winter solstice, but then winter ends up being a decent clipper winter where you have lots of snow fun but just don't quite eclipse that biggest storm.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

At 7.9" its definitely possible. 9.2" on November 11 was our biggest event last winter. Ninas are so active i personally don't think it'll be MSP biggest storm, however in a different winter I could absolutely see a scenario where an 8" storm on Oct 20 that melts in a few days is the biggest event, 2 months before the winter solstice, but then winter ends up being a decent clipper winter where you have lots of snow fun but just don't quite eclipse that biggest storm.

If we can get a trough centered over the Great Plains then a big dog western lakes cutter should do the trick. Just gotta wait and see what Mother Nature throws at us. The northland is off to a very fast start with their 3rd significant storm bearing down tomorrow. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

If we can get a trough centered over the Great Plains then a big dog western lakes cutter should do the trick. Just gotta wait and see what Mother Nature throws at us. The northland is off to a very fast start with their 3rd significant storm bearing down tomorrow. 

hopefully its a movable jet stream like 2007-08  so the entire sub gets in an action. Although the days of the ridiculous Northwest trend are gone, that's definitely a difference from 2008. personally I want a snowy December. the last 2 years had snowy Novembers and mild Decembers. Fast starts sometimes scare me lol.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

What a storm for Minneapolis. im a little jealous but not too much, winter is so long and Fall so short. It will be interesting to see how long the snow sticks around as it's so early. We had 0.7" on May 10 that melted in about 3 hours. meanwhile  our 9" snowstorm last November 11th didn't fully melt for 11 days, and that was "only" 3 weeks later in the calendar year.

Thankfully the fall colors came early this year and most of the leaves are gone. Already lost a couple inches today with mid 30s and drizzle. Tomorrow looks like heavier rain south of the Twin Cities so there might be a small area that keeps it on the north side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minnesota_storms said:

Thankfully the fall colors came early this year and most of the leaves are gone. Already lost a couple inches today with mid 30s and drizzle. Tomorrow looks like heavier rain south of the Twin Cities so there might be a small area that keeps it on the north side.

its been a beautiful fall here. The colors came early but they are hanging on longer than they do in some years. id say we've been peak for at least a week and still there.

• Like 1