Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 General Discussion

cyclone77

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Got an additional 2-3 inches yesterday before precip slowed down, mixed with rain and ended around 6-7pm.

Elevation difference is particularly striking. I'm at 1,200+ feet in the Calumet/Laurium area. Driving down to Houghton, at around 600' feet...and there was almost no snow whatsoever.

tdWwFWi.jpgSXRpvxe.jpgfq8nX00.jpg

Same situation I see between Big Bay and my house (a little over 1000' higher).  Big Bay still has leaves and lots of color, and here the trees have been mostly bare for a week.  It has also snowed 4 times already with the ground getting covered, while the shore has seen rain and some flurries for the most part.

I think the snow will be here to stay pretty quick.

Season total here 6-7" so far.

sfav2_CONUS_2020093012_to_2020101812.jpg.f643daa374d03fadc066d06462d323b3.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Nasty day.  Better start getting used to it I guess.

Lots of ups and downs ahead. Good shot of warmth Thursday and Friday (widespread 70s and humid) with a risk of thunderstorms. 

Dakotas and MN should do well in terms of early season snow over the next couple weeks. Maybe even some blizzard conditions. 

The main wildfire from yesterday, near Hillsboro IL, burned ~10,000 acres and traveled ~8 miles.

That’s a pretty incredible burn area for an unplanned uncontrolled burn. Climatologically, at least in epoch scale, tis the season. For the Holocene at large nearly every acre in the state averaged a fast moving burn every 3-5 years. From what I can tell most such fires were in the spring and fall during dry periods, usually sparked by lightning but sometimes by natives.

Pretty rare post European settlement.
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 6:07 PM, Hoosier said:

LOT calling for 81 at ORD tomorrow.  Assuming it happens, there's a very good chance it will be the last 80 degree day.

Could conceivably be in the low 80s Thursday. All the globals bring the warm front through, but the ECMWF is the only one fast enough to get us there. Record of 87 at ORD is most likely out of reach, though. 

Pretty impressive stuff with that band out in central Iowa.  Lightning icing on the cake.

41 here with some filtered sun.  Ever so slight chance we could see some wet flakes if we can precipitate hard enough, but doesn't look very likely.  First flakes may have to wait another week plus if it doesn't work out this afternoon.

Yea it just started snowing a few minutes ago in IC and now its coming down pretty hard, perhaps even approaching 1"/hr. Seeing the returns and reports in central Iowa, should see advisory criteria snow here and an extension of the SQW east is probably necessary. Heavy rates should keep surfaces temps AOB 32.

Pretty impressive stuff with that band out in central Iowa.  Lightning icing on the cake.
41 here with some filtered sun.  Ever so slight chance we could see some wet flakes if we can precipitate hard enough, but doesn't look very likely.  First flakes may have to wait another week plus if it doesn't work out this afternoon.

Think you’re being overly negative.

Cooling is occurring, with most sites dropping several degrees. Odds are you get snow.