• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 General Discussion

cyclone77

Camping up in Finland Minnesota tonight. Paging @Brian D. It is already down to 35F with a chance of snow showers overnight. 

Fantastic colors on the drive up. Along the lakeshore elevation ~600’ colors seem to be peaking but up the hill where we are camping ~1350’  it’s a few days past peak for sure. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Camping up in Finland Minnesota tonight. Paging @Brian D. It is already down to 35F with a chance of snow showers overnight. 

Fantastic colors on the drive up. Along the lakeshore elevation ~600’ colors seem to be peaking but up the hill where we are camping ~1350’  it’s a few days past peak for sure. 

Maples were peaking a week ago, with poplar/birch near peak when I was on a drive that way over a week ago. Enjoy your time up there. :) Milder temps coming next week with some shwr chances, but still, it's been a chilly start to Oct for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian D said:

Maples were peaking a week ago, with poplar/birch near peak when I was on a drive that way over a week ago. Enjoy your time up there. :) Milder temps coming next week with some shwr chances, but still, it's been a chilly start to Oct for sure.

I love the chill. Perfect outdoor sleeping weather. Got out and did a nice hike in Crosby-Manitou state park. Was the first real hike my wife has done since getting a new ACL back in May. Like you said probably a little past peak but coming from down south it sure seemed vibrant. 

4F6B9352-0A5E-4E81-A050-4D817E26F5F5.jpeg

• Like 7

Low of 35 in my backyard, but frost in the center of Horner Park on Chicago's northwest side. Thought it was a pretty good example of a park being somewhat of an oasis in the urban heat island.  The grass on the edges of the park was only dewy but frost in the center.

Sorry for the dementor shadow

20201005_073602_resized.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Danny8 said:

Low of 35 in my backyard, but frost in the center of Horner Park on Chicago's northwest side. Thought it was a pretty good example of a park being somewhat of an oasis in the urban heat island.  The grass on the edges of the park was only dewy but frost in the center.

Sorry for the dementor shadow

20201005_073602_resized.jpg

very neat.  microclimates always interest me.  Reminds me of driving around my town at night when I was younger and the car thermometer would bounce around by 5+ degrees

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, Hoosier said:

It is actually possible that the next 2 weeks will be more boring than the past couple.  Can't we get some tropical remnants or something?

Southern parts of the SF (at least) may have a shot with Delta.  12z models have moved north quite a bit.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:51 PM, weatherbo said:

At 30, the first snow still makes me feel like a kid.  I'm just glad it isn't here to stay.  :lol: 

For sure. It's funny I saw the Marquette national weather service Facebook page lighting up with people posting pictures of a few scrawny snowflakes hitting their windshield, even though they live in a place that gets well in excess of 100" of snow per year. The same people that mock downstate for having traffic issues in an 8 or 10" snowstorm posting close up shots of wet slush on their windshields. Does not matter how old you get, theres always extreme excitement in the 1st snowflakes.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Nothing else going on so might as well post this fantasy storm that will be gone tomorrow.  image.thumb.png.791494c2590b8c6acd403b07b3277cae.png

Interesting weather fact from Ft. Ripley October 1820. 11" of snow from the 11th-14th. Still stands as the most significant early Oct snowfall for that area. Fantasy of a bygone era? :)

https://www.climatestations.com/minnesota-weather-for-1820/

• Like 2