• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 General Discussion

cyclone77

Lake effect rain streaming in from the north has been heavy at times this morning.  Temps should hover around 40 most of the day before rain mixes with, then changes over to snow showers this evening.  Not expecting much, but these little early events always seem to over achieve in a few spots.  Wouldn't be surprised to wake up to a little white otg in the morning and again Saturday. Leaves are 60% down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Almost looks like Owl Head outside of Lake Placid but not sure.  Where were you?

I did the Gothics loop. Doing all 46 high peaks up there, at 19/46 so far. This is from someone else in the dacks from a 46er page I follow. I went on Monday which was terrible weather, but Fri-Sunday were perfect conditions. 

46 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

My friend said it was hailing decently in Glendale Heights. I don't know a whole lot about how this stuff works, so don't bake me for my speculation, but do the relatively cool temperatures impact how easy it is for updrafts to generate hail?

The fact that the hail growth zone (-10C to -30C) is closer to the ground and surface temps aren't all that warm help it reach the ground.

Nice forecast profile from the 3km NAM, showing the steep surface to mid-level lapse rates. Not a ton of CAPE but it was obviously more than enough for the heavy showers and isolated storms this afternoon.

398003812_ScreenShot2020-10-01at5_34_17PM.thumb.png.3335ded0cfb581300895df53acfc9422.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

The fact that the hail growth zone (-10C to -30C) is closer to the ground and surface temps aren't all that warm help it reach the ground.

Nice forecast profile from the 3km NAM, showing the steep surface to mid-level lapse rates. Not a ton of CAPE but it was obviously more than enough for the heavy showers and isolated storms this afternoon.

398003812_ScreenShot2020-10-01at5_34_17PM.thumb.png.3335ded0cfb581300895df53acfc9422.png

Interesting, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

At 30, the first snow still makes me feel like a kid.  I'm just glad it isn't here to stay.  :lol: 

Man, and you go through the shortest length of time between last and first snowfalls of anyone.

Congrats on your first snow of the season!

• Like 1