Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs 2020

George BM

26 minutes ago, frd said:

Impressive.  Rain not making it across the C&D Canal presently.

Chilly out though. Huge leaf drop yesterday in my area.

Yeah I spent a couple hours yesterday morning blowing and mulching leaves. Today It looks like I never did anything lol. It will be a perpetual thing over the next several weeks.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I spent a couple hours yesterday morning blowing and mulching leaves. Today It looks like I never did anything lol. It will be a perpetual thing over the next several weeks.

I know that feeling @CAPE. I spent Friday all day on the yard, today it looks like early Friday morning, only difference being they (the leaves) are now wet....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Atmospheric memory?

Really simple question here from someone who is not as smart as most of you are here.......

Is it possible that the atmospheric memory theory is more likely caused by the overall conditions of the ground soil?  Couldn't an area which hasn't received a lot of rain recently and has a very dry ground soil constitution (like the Manchester and Stephens City in the recent past) have issues with future precipitation unlike those which have currently,  consistently hit the jackpot, like any area southeast of 95?  Could those areas like Bowie, Prince Frederick and even Greensboro which have recently had higher rates of precip have an advantage because the ground is more saturated....thus allowing incoming fronts to draw from that moisture and continually/more easily develop rain?

I've never taken any classes in meteorology, so feel free to poke fun if this is a dumb question. 

:-)

1 minute ago, toolsheds said:

Really simple question here from someone who is not as smart as most of you are here.......

Is it possible that the atmospheric memory theory is more likely caused by the overall conditions of the ground soil?  Couldn't an area which hasn't received a lot of rain recently and has a very dry ground soil constitution (like the Manchester and Stephens City in the recent past) have issues with future precipitation unlike those which have currently,  consistently hit the jackpot, like any area southeast of 95?  Could those areas like Bowie, Prince Frederick and even Greensboro which have recently had higher rates of precip have an advantage because the ground is more saturated....thus allowing incoming fronts to draw from that moisture and continually/more easily develop rain?

I've never taken any classes in meteorology, so feel free to poke fun if this is a dumb question. 

:-)

Not a dumb question, and there does seem to be something to the 'drought begets drought' idea. It's possible soil conditions play into it, but imo it's much more likely a function of the general pattern. The mechanisms for large scale ascent and moisture advection should largely overcome antecedent soil conditions.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I agree ...soil conditions probably a very small variable that would be too subtle to have a meaningful impact in real time  most likely. Maybe a real large severe drought that was very long lived and covered 100s of Square miles possibly then ? I mostly was poking fun at Justin Berk for coining the atmospheric memory phrase . At least I think it was him lol

You forgot mention "stickage" as well. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not a dumb question, and there does seem to be something to the 'drought begets drought' idea. It's possible soil conditions play into it, but imo it's much more likely a function of the general pattern. The mechanisms for large scale ascent and moisture advection should largely overcome antecedent soil conditions.

Thinking our area benefits from the percieved boundary interacting with robust WAR and numerous tropical systems, either directly or indirectly. Record dews again this past summer. 

Going to be too far away to amount to much for us.

Too bad, I'd love to have some 50+ knot gusts out of the E or NE to help with some trees that need to come down!  These ivy wrapped conifers are a NIGHTMARE.  They'd probably tolerate 100MPH out of the east but 55 out of the NW and they'd fall through the pool house.  No thanks to Mr. Murphy.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic