Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs 2020

George BM

• H2O pinned this topic

Antares Launch should have been last night!  Looks to be obscured for us unfortunately. :(

As far as this AM, yes, perfectly clear for a test flight!

Did anyone see this bright fireball yesterday AM?

None of our cameras cover the sky in that direction (NW of us).  I even checked for reflections as it was of sufficient magnitude to see that.  Nope.  I have to get more sky into view.  That one was really nice!

Maybe better weather tomorrow night!

Last night's full moon was crazy bright.  I was wondering what was moving across the ground when scrubbing through footage and it was the tower shadow which I'm used to seeing during the day in sun but not in moonlight!

Now all we need is a decent 6" snow pack under full moon.  Those are the best.  Only thing that tops that is when we've had some rain on top and the snowpack is glazed over.  We can only wish...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Now all we need is a decent 6" snow pack under full moon.  Those are the best.  Only thing that tops that is when we've had some rain on top and the snowpack is glazed over.  We can only wish...

Years ago we had a 6-8 inch snowpack with about 0.5 of ice glaze on top.  We had a clear, frigid night with a full moon and it was unreal!  It was as if the whole world was shining in silver.  We were taking one-foot square pieces of ice and listening to them slide hundreds of feet down the hill and into the woods.  It was something.

Nice day and weekend coming up.  Hard to believe that last year on this date the temp hit 98 at DCA and 96 at Dulles!

11 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Years ago we had a 6-8 inch snowpack with about 0.5 of ice glaze on top.  We had a clear, frigid night with a full moon and it was unreal!  It was as if the whole world was shining in silver.  We were taking one-foot square pieces of ice and listening to them slide hundreds of feet down the hill and into the woods.  It was something.

Nice day and weekend coming up.  Hard to believe that last year on this date the temp hit 98 at DCA and 96 at Dulles!

That would have been March 05, 2015 for us.
I propped my Nikon D810 against the front door window and used bulb setting keeping shutter open 10 seconds.  Not exactly stable but was impressed at the gain and glistening off the snowpack which was NOT glazed per se, just some farkle stuff from sun angle melting and sublimation losses.  Anyhow, absolutely beautiful!

snow-fullmoon.jpg

And speaking of ice sliding across glazen snowpack, it's a neat sound too, when trees locked in ice start to sway a bit from a light breeze and it crackles.

But heavy icing and stronger winds beware!  Those ice torrents can maim or kill!  Widowmakers for sure!

• Like 3

Great view of the launch and travels of the rocket from my 2nd floor bedroom window over Currituck Sound. Was surprised how quickly we were able to see it very low in the sky just seconds after launch... then as it got higher and arched out to the southeast. It was really cool.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Need rain .

Down to 43 already at 10:45. Nice firepit weather.  I mowed the high spots for the last time . This will be the earliest I've ever stopped mowing by a long shot. The 4 frosts and drought together have definitely contributed. 

Low of 35 this morning 

Rest of the month looks warm. Not sure we’re done yet. 

6 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Need rain .

Down to 43 already at 10:45. Nice firepit weather.  I mowed the high spots for the last time . This will be the earliest I've ever stopped mowing by a long shot. The 4 frosts and drought together have definitely contributed. 

Low of 35 this morning 

Sprinkler for lease,  :whistle:

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic