Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Cool! I just checked the 506 NFL maps and Baltimore and the eastern shore has the Denver game tomorrow. We got lucky because most of the area has the NE / SF game.

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2020&wk=7

Sunday
Snow. Temperature falling to around 15 by 5pm. North northeast wind 9 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night
Snow. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -1. North northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Prob good idea to avoid KC in survivor then. They kind of weather a weird variable.

Does bad weather actually affect Mahomes and that offense? Not sure it won't be an advantage as fined tuned as they tend to be.

Denver has to play D and keep it low scoring. For their sake, maybe the weather helps.

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Does bad weather actually affect Mahomes and that offense? Not sure it won't be an advantage as fined tuned as they tend to be.

Denver has to play D and keep it low scoring. For their sake, maybe the weather helps.

That kind of weather affects everyone 

NAO

AO
PNA
EPI
PDO
QBO
MJO
IO
WAR
SER
EPR
CPR
SAI
ENSO
NINA
CFS
EPS
GEFS
CANSIPS
ASI
SIC
MC
UKW
STJ
UH
SGP
WDI

Now for the tricky part. If we can check off every single one of those in our favor, we might be able to eek out a little bit of snow. Now we have to time everything perfectly, and even if we do we might get unlucky, but if we can get a little luck we might get 5-7 days worth of winter. Hang tough y’all. We ain’t out of this yet.
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

I'm on my school's quizbowl team. Quizbowl is a trivia competition where you try and answer questions before someone on the other team does. The first line of a question is a really obscure clue, and the clues gradually become easier as the question progresses. At my competition today, there was a question where the first line was "Lapse rates are the rate at which this quantity decreases with altitude."

The advantages of being a weenie...

• Weenie 2

14 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Now for the tricky part. If we can check off every single one of those in our favor, we might be able to eek out a little bit of snow. Now we have to time everything perfectly, and even if we do we might get unlucky, but if we can get a little luck we might get 5-7 days worth of winter. Hang tough y’all. We ain’t out of this yet.

We need consecutive days of winter, not the 1-2 then a break, then another maybe half a day, then another day. We need a week full of winter at least...

On 10/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, fourseasons said:

One factor is that from March 25 to May 10, nursing homes in NY could not deny admittance or re-admittance to people positive for Covid or suspected to have it, which led to thousands of Covid-positive people being admitted to various facilities and spreading it around.

One can also make a decent argument that the heavy use of public transportation in NYC, particularly the subway, was also a factor.

both are valid points... but they do hold up well in the face of the data.  Data that shows that more and more people are getting COVID everyday  That the second spike was worse then the initial one and even on Friday, we are having more positive cases then we have ever had.  Yet mortality, after the initial explosion of deaths in the beginning has been either improving or holding steady.  

On the surface you could argue that New York City was the cautionary tale for what happens if the virus enters a massively populated urban area prior to lockdown measure being enacted.  It fits the narrative all too well... think about it.. during this time, we had a President that was saying that the Virus was the left's new Hoax and then once it was a reality he said that "Its like the flu".  Due to the lack of leadership and arrogant self centered  policies of those in charge, we were lead to slaughter.  You cant make this shit up.

But thats not what happened when we had the second waves Arizona and Florida.. shit in Florida they had Spring Break right in the middle of the onset.  In the south today, many colleges and universities are having Fraternity parties and the Bars are packed.  People are testing positive faster than they ever had before.. 

My question is this.. why is the mortality 10% of what we saw in the beginning. Why are countries like India, where much of the population lives shoulder to shoulder on top of landfills not seeing the kind of death rate that we experienced in the early days here in America.  

Why would anyone question the administrative one size fits all protocols of "Heroes work here"  hospital systems of New York City... why should we when we have the perfect villain? And it makes sense that no one knows about what happened in New York City. When all of this was coming to light, reputable news organizations were writing stories about it.. I have read countless articles about the NYC ventilator debacle.. many from reputable news organizations like Nature, Wall Street Journal, New England Medical journal and the list goes on and on.. but none of these stories saw the light of day.  This was the summer.. and if you remember, we had part two of the story come out when George Floyd was murdered.  

Just now, smokeybandit said:

1) Asian countries have long exposure of HCQ (for malaria) and the BCG vaccine (TB), both known or at least theorized outside of the USA to be beneficial in preventing severe covid impacts

Oh.. i thought it was only serological  prevalence of Covid Antibodies that could be counted?  

On 10/23/2020 at 11:22 PM, psuhoffman said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/23/influential-soccer-podcaster-daryl-grove-passes-away-after-cancer-battle

52F9D43D-3650-46A3-83B3-580829576534.jpeg.ed3572b9f1471728a5f57b23ee5af872.jpeg

RIP Daryl Grove. I don’t know if anyone else here is a member of the soccer community.  Daryl hosted imo the best soccer show (Total Soccer Show) for the last 11 years. He was a constant advocate and friend of anyone involved in the sport.  He was a great ambassador for the game. More then that he was a wonderful person. Always positive. Always friendly.  Willing to help whenever possible. Once he got a bad review by someone saying the show was “soft” and he joked that it was a compliment because the world needs more softness.  Even though I didn’t know him well personally I heard his voice almost everyday for 11 years and he made everyone feel like family.  He responded to every message. He was welcoming at fundraising events. It really hurts.  I’m sure others who met him at events and listened feel the same way but a piece of my life is gone. I wish I knew what to say but I don’t. I just wish I didn’t have to say anything at all.   The world is just a little less today with him not in it.  

I’ve been listening to TSS for about five years now and, like you, I feel a sense of loss that’s really hard to describe, particularly because I wasn’t fortunate enough to have ever met him in person. Even so, he was a pretty significant part of my daily routine for many years, so to have lost him has hit pretty hard.

Daryl was obviously a wonderful person who contributed so much to not only the soccer community in the US but also to world as a whole.

Rest in peace, Daryl. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us for all these years...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

My question is this.. why is the mortality 10% of what we saw in the beginning. 

One certainty is the we know how to treat this a lot better now.  The virus is also infecting people that are healthier and able to fight it off.  There is also the potential that virus as it is mutating and growing less deadly.  These are all good things, and they were made possible by slowing the spread early on.  

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Cool shot. I was last there right before Xmas. Not at night though. Was a super cold, windy day(we didn't have many last winter). See any ghosts?

Long story but my brother went to Gettysburg college and he and his then roommate had a weird experience near Devils Den. Last night was the 40th anniversary so we had to give it a shot! My brother and his old roommate went last night too. Lots of fun, but no ghosts.

Also, I can’t take credit for the photo. The old roommate took it.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hello there, Mrs. J!!  How are you my friend?  What amazing photos!  I was in Chincoteague around mid-August, hope you had a great time there!  The sunsets from Chincoteague were amazing!!

Doing good. Had a mental health break out there. Lucked out with fantastic weather for late October. Love your photos above! 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic