Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October Banter 2020

George BM

15 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

What the hell is this game? At least its a win, albeit phyrric

Defense was lucky early in the game. Big plays were there but the Eagles just managed to miss them all. This is not a dominant defense. They are solid, but gamble a lot to get pressure. Not so much today as the Eagles OL is putrid.

Offense hasn't played a smooth game yet. OL is terrible, and Roman has no clue. Wait until they start playing real teams.

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Eagles should try kicking extra points once in a while. Game would have been tied.

Actually they scored 4 TD. They didn’t get it on the first attempt but did the next 2. That means they got 22 instead of 21 pts from their first 3 TD. That was the only reason they had a chance to tie at the end. Even with that failed conversation they still ended up with 28 from 4td. They have done this hyper aggressive thing for years and it works in their favor way more than it costs us. Not that it hasn’t ever blown up in our face but you have to take those exceptions. 

IMO the criticism of Doug from Eagles fans is ridiculous.  The team he has on the field right now is a mess. Backups and backups to backups all over. Receivers that drop easy catches. A line that can’t block. A QB that’s lacking confidence and shell shocked such that even when he has an easy throw often misses it. Then if he makes it they drop the pass.  I’ve seen plenty of bad coaching. This is a player problem. Matter of fact each week (including their 1 win) they got badly outplayed in every way and the only reason their even in the game is opportunistic coaching and trick plays that somehow keep it close. Replacing Doug won’t fix anything. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually they scored 4 TD. They didn’t get it on the first attempt but did the next 2. That means they got 22 instead of 21 pts from their first 3 TD. That was the only reason they had a chance to tie at the end. Even with that failed conversation they still ended up with 28 from 4td. They have done this hyper aggressive thing for years and it works in their favor way more than it costs us. Not that it hasn’t ever blown up in our face but you have to take those exceptions. 

IMO the criticism of Doug from Eagles fans is ridiculous.  The team he has on the field right now is a mess. Backups and backups to backups all over. Receivers that drop easy catches. A line that can’t block. A QB that’s lacking confidence and shell shocked such that even when he has an easy throw often misses it. Then if he makes it they drop the pass.  I’ve seen plenty of bad coaching. This is a player problem. Matter of fact each week (including their 1 win) they got badly outplayed in every way and the only reason their even in the game is opportunistic coaching and trick plays that somehow keep it close. Replacing Doug won’t fix anything. 

They could have had 23. When you are down 17-0 early it doesn't make sense to go for 2. But yeah I get that is part of what they do, and you never know how the game is going to evolve.

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Eagles should try kicking extra points once in a while. Game would have been tied.

Eagles? How about the Football Team. Ridiculous decisions made by some of these coaches IMO. You score to tie with seconds remaining but you’re so afraid of overtime you just think what the hell let’s just lose it now. Vikings had an extremely large chance of winning last week but lost because of one of these unwarranted decisions and likely threw the season away in the process. They probably would have had a completely different outlook entering today’s game.

Speaking of the Eagles, why in hell did they go for two on the first touchdown? Makes no sense. Even if you make it you’re still down nine. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Eagles? How about the Football Team. Ridiculous decisions made by some of these coaches IMO. You score to tie with seconds remaining but you’re so afraid of overtime you just think what the hell let’s just lose it now. Vikings had an extremely large chance of winning last week but lost because of one of these unwarranted decisions and likely threw the season away in the process. They probably would have had a completely different outlook entering today’s game.

Speaking of the Eagles, why in hell did they go for two on the first touchdown? Makes no sense. Even if you make it you’re still down nine. 

That's the point I was making.

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

They could have had 23. When you are down 17-0 early it doesn't make sense to go for 2. But yeah I get that is part of what they do, and you never know how the game is going to evolve.

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It wasn’t a decision based on the specifics of the game wrt time and score. It was a decision based on larger scale probabilities.  They don’t always do this. If Doug calculates a game is likely to be low scoring he calls it slightly more conservative.  But sometimes when he suspects the defense isn’t capable of keeping it a low scoring game he plays the odds that say going for 2 every time will work in your advantage in the long run. So long as you convert half the of them you break even. Convert more than half and you beat the chalk.  He is aggressive with 4th down calls also. And again sometimes when it costs then people get upset. But over the course of a season it almost always ends up a net positive. In his 5 seasons as coach I can remember a few games where his aggressiveness cost then a win. But I can remember way more examples where they won because Doug squeezes an extra possession or a few extra points out of the game that way.   

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It wasn’t a decision based on the specifics of the game wrt time and score. It was a decision based on larger scale probabilities.  They don’t always do this. If Doug calculates a game is likely to be low scoring he calls it slightly more conservative.  But sometimes when he suspects the defense isn’t capable of keeping it a low scoring game he plays the odds that say going for 2 every time will work in your advantage in the long run. So long as you convert half the of them you break even. Convert more than half and you beat the chalk.  He is aggressive with 4th down calls also. And again sometimes when it costs then people get upset. But over the course of a season it almost always ends up a net positive. In his 5 seasons as coach I can remember a few games where his aggressiveness cost then a win. But I can remember way more examples where they won because Doug squeezes an extra possession or a few extra points out of the game that way.   

I don’t watch the Eagles much so it’s not really fair for me to comment. But I will say this and stand behind it. What I saw Mike Zimmer do last week and what I saw Rivera do today qualifies in my book as completely dumb and is unjustifiable.

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t watch the Eagles much so it’s not really fair for me to comment. But I will say this and stand behind it. What I saw Mike Zimmer do last week and what I saw Rivera do today qualifies in my book as completely dumb and is unjustifiable.

I don’t know what they did. The strategy also has to be tailored to the team. If you are a defensive team with a limited offense being hyper aggressive would be stupid. The eagles defense is pretty awful so...

The Ravens have a lot of issues. The league is all screwed up this year so they have a very good chance to get to the playoffs and even be a high seed, but they are deeply flawed and Lamar has been pretty pedestrian (heavily curated highlight reel from the local homer media aside). I see nothing here that tells me this team can beat KC yet, or Seattle (as the top of the NFC -- the rest of the NFC looks pretty bad). I am also worried about the Steelers and Titans. I think they can beat anyone else this year. The two games against the Steelers will be telling. They need to put those guys to bed. I sense they will split or possibly lose both, however. This team seems to be sleepwalking a bit.

The Ravens are missing a steady central portion of the line. Lots of talent and time to gel further, but they are not nearly as good as last year without Yanda. Our WR corp is weak. Outside Hollywood, we are pedestrian with regards to consistent play. Route running for most of the group needs polishing and Boykin just needs to leave. The man is a bust and it's time to admit it. Give Duverney the opportunity and use both he and Brown's speed to open up the edges for guys like Snead, our TE's, and Dobbins. We desperately need a polished WR like a Boldin from 2010-2012. Someone we can rely on to be physical and catch the big plays. Brown is a WR2 right now, but when used properly, he can be a WR1 like a Tyreek Hill. But KC has a solid compliment for him on the opposite side, so it plays in their favor. We do not, and it's biting us.

Defensively, we are desperately missing a premier pass rusher. The Ravens can blitz and cause mayhem, but against teams like KC and upper echelon passing corps, they can't do that and expect to even get close to stopping them. They can exploit by using screen game and throwing into the lanes we apply the blitz. Leaving voids where they can make plays. A pass rush that can make it to the QB and apply pressure with 4 is how you beat a KC and how you can beat a Tennessee. I see us having a tough time with Pittsburgh and losing one or both games I think is likely at this juncture. They lost one of their top LB's for the season today (Devin Bush), so that should help, but they can beat our front on the O line with just a 4 man rush. I see Ravens going 11-5 this season unless we can add some critical pieces. We will never win the Super Bowl with our current players. Not built for the stretch run. Hate to say it being a fan, but also a realist. 

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The Ravens have a lot of issues. The league is all screwed up this year so they have a very good chance to get to the playoffs and even be a high seed, but they are deeply flawed and Lamar has been pretty pedestrian (heavily curated highlight reel from the local homer media aside). I see nothing here that tells me this team can beat KC yet, or Seattle (as the top of the NFC -- the rest of the NFC looks pretty bad). I am also worried about the Steelers and Titans. I think they can beat anyone else this year. The two games against the Steelers will be telling. They need to put those guys to bed. I sense they will split or possibly lose both, however. This team seems to be sleepwalking a bit.

They wont beat the Steelers with the OL playing like is has been- not against that defense. Lucky for the Ravens, they have a bye this week, so they have time to try and fix some issues, then we will see if they can compete with the Steelers. All the pundits thought the Browns could, and they got destroyed.

15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The Ravens are missing a steady central portion of the line. Lots of talent and time to gel further, but they are not nearly as good as last year without Yanda. Our WR corp is weak. Outside Hollywood, we are pedestrian with regards to consistent play. Route running for most of the group needs polishing and Boykin just needs to leave. The man is a bust and it's time to admit it. Give Duverney the opportunity and use both he and Brown's speed to open up the edges for guys like Snead, our TE's, and Dobbins. We desperately need a polished WR like a Boldin from 2010-2012. Someone we can rely on to be physical and catch the big plays. Brown is a WR2 right now, but when used properly, he can be a WR1 like a Tyreek Hill. But KC has a solid compliment for him on the opposite side, so it plays in their favor. We do not, and it's biting us.

Defensively, we are desperately missing a premier pass rusher. The Ravens can blitz and cause mayhem, but against teams like KC and upper echelon passing corps, they can't do that and expect to even get close to stopping them. They can exploit by using screen game and throwing into the lanes we apply the blitz. Leaving voids where they can make plays. A pass rush that can make it to the QB and apply pressure with 4 is how you beat a KC and how you can beat a Tennessee. I see us having a tough time with Pittsburgh and losing one or both games I think is likely at this juncture. They lost one of their top LB's for the season today (Devin Bush), so that should help, but they can beat our front on the O line with just a 4 man rush. I see Ravens going 11-5 this season unless we can add some critical pieces. We will never win the Super Bowl with our current players. Not built for the stretch run. Hate to say it being a fan, but also a realist. 

Replacing Yanda is impossible, but I didn't expect the drop off to be as significant as it has. Yesterday was a debacle. Defensively, they could use a pass rusher, but not sure there is anyone out there that they can afford/is an upgrade.(Suggs is out there)  Totally agree on WR, and I have been saying this since the offseason. The Ravens have no big bodied targets who Lamar can throw downfield to and trust to make the contested catch. Boykin could be that guy, but he has not impressed at all so far. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up signing Antonio Brown if the passing game cant develop downfield with what they have on the roster. Also, Roman is getting a lot of heat from the fanbase, and I think it is probably happening internally as well at this point. His play calling has been a head scratcher, to put it nicely.

Just now, CAPE said:

Replacing Yanda is impossible, but I didn't expect the drop off to be as significant as it has. Yesterday was a debacle. Defensively, they could use a pass rusher, but not sure there is anyone out there that they can afford/is an upgrade.(Suggs is out there)  Totally agree on WR, and I have been saying this since the offseason. The Ravens have no big bodied targets who Lamar can throw downfield to and trust to make the contested catch. Boykin could be that guy, but he has not impressed at all so far. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up signing Antonio Brown if the passing game cant develop downfield with what they have on the roster. Also, Roman is getting a lot of heat from the fanbase, and I think it is probably happening internally as well at this point. His play calling has been a head scratcher, to put it nicely.

Don't even get me started on this play calling by Roman. He's calling plays like we have Seattle or KC's WR corp and we have nothing even remotely close. Idk what he's trying to prove. Lamar and the RB's should be pounding teams into submission with the run game and hitting the PA pass to keep defenses honest. Also, zero imagination. No flea flickers, no clear outs with Brown/Duverney, and no jet sweeps with our speed. I feel like I'm watching Matt Cavenaugh call the same 3 plays from his etch a sketch.

Ravens did themselves a disservice not getting an elite pass rusher. Judon has and will never be that guy. Fun fact, Judon has accumulated 80% of his sacks the last 2.5 seasons off 4 games. FOUR!! He's absent basically any other time. With our secondary, if we had a consistent rush with 4, we'd be almost impossible to score 20+ against. Today I missed the game since I was prepping for mid shifts, which I'm on now. But I saw the highlights. Won the game, but we should've lost and would've against a competent offense. They dropped 2 TD's today and their line is absolutely beat up. We allowed two prayer balls, shot ourselves in the foot with offensive line penalties, and had some p*ss poor coverage in the secondary against B rate receivers (I do like Fulgrahm though). We have a lot to work on and we better get ready, because next game is vs a very hungry and hot Steelers squad. They can ball. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m very curious to see how hybrid goes. Seems like a ton of work for the teachers. Our elementary teacher friend in HoCo said she’s working 70 hours per week managing virtual learning alone.

My wife has been teaching her second grade class in a hybrid solution for the whole school year.  She has 12 in the classroom and 5 learning virtually.  This is extremely difficult.  It's hard to get the proper attention to both sets of students.  In order to prepare for the school day, she leaves for the classroom by 6:30 am.  While in the classroom, she doesn't get much free time for planning.  There is no recess aid and until last week,  there was no Art/Music teacher, which meant that she only had 12 minutes while students were at school for a break.  She gets home by no earlier than 6:00 pm each night. After dinner, she has to prepare assignments for the next day, because they need to be sent to the virtual students so they are prepared.   She uses the weekend to set up lesson plans for the upcoming week and to catch up on grading assignments.  

I'm not trying to paint a woe is me (or she) with this post, but wanted to just post an account of what it is like for teachers who are still in the classroom.  

@toolsheds that’s rough and about what I’d have guessed. I don’t know what teachers with school age kids are supposed to do. 

@losetoa6 I hear that but it’s a lot. Think this year may cause us to lose good teachers from the workforce. 70hr weeks for months while adding in stress from childcare or elder care and general 2020 anxiety is a ton to manage. 

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@toolsheds that’s rough and about what I’d have guessed. I don’t know what teachers with school age kids are supposed to do. 

@losetoa6 I hear that but it’s a lot. Think this year may cause us to lose good teachers from the workforce. 70hr weeks for months while adding in stress from childcare or elder care and general 2020 anxiety is a ton to manage. 

She's a tough cookie, but it is very stressful.  She obviously doesn't do it for the $$$$, because we all know that teachers don't get paid much, and being in a catholic school,  salaries are even  less.   

Fortunately my two who are still at home are old enough to manage on their own.  :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Great to see the school buses on the road early this morning.  It sucks the high schoolers have to wait but glad to see the young kids getting back.  

Our schools have been open since a delayed start in early September; 6 weeks altogether.  But today was the first day of them being closed after our county exceeded the threshold for heightened community transmission of COVID-19.  My daughter who is a senior in high school has been doing remote learning since school started, but my 6th grader son had been going to school and was pretty disappointed to learn over the weekend that they had closed.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic