• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter 2020

George BM

My two oldest grand children have been back in the classroom basically since Labor Day. They are in a private pre-school and a private school in the Baltimore area. However, I  do think there has not been a week where at least one of them has school canceled because of a Covid scare. Because, the classes are small (big difference there between large classes in a City public school and a pay out of the gazoo private school), the possibility of an infection in the class is limited. It also helps to have a lot of  parents of students who are Hopkins doctors and can almost instantly arrange Covid testing or so I have heard. Nevertheless, I do believe  if we do not get the kids back in school full-time until there is a vaccine (who knows when), we are going to waste a generation of children.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Carroll county public schools pulled the rug on highschool returning to in person ( Hybrid)on Monday...they waited to the last effing minute.  My 16 yr old  daughter is very disappointed.  She is by her own idea going to email the school system.  I told her speak up for yourself.  I just talked to my brother tonight and he lives in Dallastown, Pa school district and they're are on week 6 of full in person with teachers full in person as well. They've had no school closures as of yet and just scattered cases with no serious illnesses or deaths.  This is repeated all over the country . But you won't hear about it on mainstream media because it doesn't fit the narrative.  These kids deserve wayy better.  Get the kids back in school.  No science supports 100% virtual for everyone.  Kids being IN the classroom is essential and Teachers are essential to being in the classroom with them ... period. We are ALL essential...to each other, our families,  communities,  and to keep this country afloat . Rant over . I'm sure this post will offend someone and it will be deleted most likely.  That's ok. 

I agree with almost everything in your post.  The rural areas should be doing more in person instruction.  The numbers do not justify having kids be virtual everyday (I have a Kinder in Arlington and man that is not school but its at least something).  I do believe (and my wife is an admin in FFx county so I have seen some of the behind the scenes stuff) that schools are set up to fail no matter what they do.  One direction unfortunately can't fit all.  The country has asked for public schools to change the entire curriculum in 3 months.

To the bolded above, why are teachers the only profession being forced back?  No other occupation is demanding someone to go back to work and the certainly don't get paid to be essential. There is increased risk as well to the nature of in person school with 15 ppl in one room for up to 7 hours a day.  Most of that is against all CDC guidelines.

One of my biggest issues is that schools have to set up "isolation rooms".  If a kid has any of the symptoms of Covid, they get sent into an isolation room inside the school until their parents can come get them and someone from the school has to be in there with them.  They have not been given N95s or any other kind of PPE to protect them and have to supply their own.  They are not doctors and shouldn't have to be exposed like that but that is just my 0.02.

There needs to be a bigger effort from above the school level for this to work and unfortunately the current administration all the way down to the local school boards has failed and that is why we are where we are.  Look at other countries where they have sent kids back.  PPE, thermometers (Her school had to buy thermometers for every room in the school with their own money), and testing is in place to support schools.

Rant over and possibly this will be deleted but wanted to have a convo about it!  Lets hope it snows soon.

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

To the bolded above, why are teachers the only profession being forced back?  No other occupation is demanding someone to go back to work and the certainly don't get paid to be essential. There is increased risk as well to the nature of in person school with 15 ppl in one room for up to 7 hours a day.  Most of that is against all CDC guidelines.

They are essential and should be absolutely paid as such, and it should have been that way well before COVID hit. Unfortunately we will learn the hard way in 5-10 years when we see the real tragedy of this virus through how it impacted this generation of kids and ultimately the country..

Virus transmission is a high risk for teachers in general, whether it be COVID or anything else, any of which could be deadly given unique circumstances. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

They are essential and should be absolutely paid as such, and it should have been that way well before COVID hit. Unfortunately we will learn the hard way in 5-10 years when we see the real tragedy of this virus through how it impacted this generation of kids and ultimately the country..

Virus transmission is a high risk for teachers in general, whether it be COVID or anything else, any of which could be deadly given unique circumstances. 

Kids are resilient.  

1 hour ago, Yeoman said:

Maybe this will finally kick some of that into motion, finally.

It's been 2 months of at home learning.  I don't think this with have an every lasting effect on kids.  They are malleable and will adapt and some will even thrive with at home learning. 

I have seen more kids playing outside this summer than at any point since I moved to Arlington.

I'm not saying all will be good but I don't buy that this will change and hurt them forever.

5 hours ago, RIC_WX said:

Breaking news...Deep Creek and Garrett Co to join LWX?  Haven't seen this posted before elsewhere.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/GarrettCecilTransfer

Nice! NWS Pitt is not nearly as good as LWX. Garrett County is also trying to get Baltimore stations added as an option out here since it’s all Pittsburgh tv stations. 

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Nice! NWS Pitt is not nearly as good as LWX. Garrett County is also trying to get Baltimore stations added as an option out here since it’s all Pittsburgh tv stations. 

Yes, but forecasting Garrett is gotta be a whole nother world compared to the rest of their CWA during winter especially.  I hope they are up for it.  And it's not like LWX has all of MD after the change, AKQ has all of the lower eastern shore.

1 hour ago, RIC_WX said:

Yes, but forecasting Garrett is gotta be a whole nother world compared to the rest of their CWA during winter especially.  I hope they are up for it.  And it's not like LWX has all of MD after the change, AKQ has all of the lower eastern shore.

They’re some of the best in the business. They’ll figure it out. It’ll make the forecast discussion more interesting since there will be way more mentions of snow throughout winter. 

6 hours ago, Yeoman said:

The ones I know can't make it to the bus stop in anything over than a half inch of snow

That wont matter anymore...now they can all learn virtually, so unless there is a major snowstorm, I see a lot of school systems cancelling more and having a virtual/remote class day if the weather forecast has any change of being risky.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

For those of you familiar with the area, is Wisp/Deep Creek typically open with snow around New Years?  

Yes, their tentative opening date this year is Nov 22(ish), weather dependent.  The number of trails open around NYE/Christmas is dependent on how much natural snow falls in December/if conditions support man-made snow too.  We spend New Years at Deep Creek each year and spend a few days skiing.  I think it was two (or three) years ago where we had about 12-15” of fresh snowfall during that time so it was great conditions.  Last year was warm (relatively) and not the best conditions but it was still open.

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yes, their tentative opening date this year is Nov 22(ish), weather dependent.  The number of trails open around NYE/Christmas is dependent on how much natural snow falls in December/if conditions support man-made snow too.  We spend New Years at Deep Creek each year and spend a few days skiing.  I think it was two (or three) years ago where we had about 12-15” of fresh snowfall during that time so it was great conditions.  Last year was warm (relatively) and not the best conditions but it was still open.

Cool, thanks for the info.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic