Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

Best thing for the state of the economy would be to just cancel all temp government relief.. I really feel like we need to let the markets take care of themselves

IMO, since 2008 we've pumped so much public money into the markets that they no longer reflect the "real" state of the US economy. If we let the market go, there's no way it would be over 25,000 right now. It's on a seemingly odd sugar high.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

IMO, since 2008 we've pumped so much public money into the markets that they no longer reflect the "real" state of the US economy. If we let the market go, there's no way it would be over 25,000 right now. It's on a seemingly odd sugar high.

I just think it needs to get worse before it gets better... the wealth disparity is astonishing in my opinion.  I work three jobs and noone does anything.. they just having meetings... its like we live in a state of institutional welfare.. the haves and have nots.. if you make it to this side of the fence.. you can collect a paycheck by sending emails and talking on the phone all day.. 

If you are on the other side you are overworked, under paid and probably laid off.  

I feel like there needs to be a big correction. I hope to cash in on it.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, yoda said:

@Chris78 @nj2va @nw baltimore wx

Dillion re-signs with the Capitals... 4 year deal worth $3.9 mil AAV... prob cause of this:

And sources say Capitals will be signing Lundqvist -- https://novacapsfans.com/2020/10/06/report-ufa-henrik-lundqvist-will-sign-with-capitals-when-market-opens-friday/

@Chris78 @nw baltimore wx @nj2va

Seriously?  Signing former Penguin Schultz to a 2 year deal worth $4M AAV?  :lmao:

Good luck with that.... along with having no more cap room -- https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/10/washington-capitals-agree-to-terms-with-justin-schultz.html

Guess RFA Siegenthaler is gone then

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Seriously?  Signing former Penguin Schultz to a 2 year deal worth $4M AAV?  :lmao:

Good luck with that.... along with having no more cap room -- https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/10/washington-capitals-agree-to-terms-with-justin-schultz.html

A bit of a head scratcher but I know why we need the defensive backup with Kempny’s injuries.  Maybe he’ll regain his point production from a few years now that’s with a good team.

27 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Been coming to the car cruise at OC for over 20 years and never seen so many cops and they brought back the cops on horseback lol. 

Ocean city has been out of control this summer. Not sure wtf is going on down there  but they need to get it under control.  This is the first year in 42 years that I haven't been to OC because of the pandemic but plan on going back next year. There's been way too much violence down there this summer.

OC has been our family vacation spot for years and years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Kind of surprised of the Lindquist signing. Does he have anything left in the tank?

35 minutes ago, nj2va said:

A bit of a head scratcher but I know why we need the defensive backup with Kempny’s injuries.  Maybe he’ll regain his point production from a few years now that’s with a good team.

I know you need that backup but did you see Schultz this past postseason against MTL?  His defense was atrocious and he was non-existent on offense.  Perhaps you guys get lucky and he reverts back to his 2016 or 2017 season stats... but that's an awful contract signing IMO... now you have no money left to sign anyone else in FA

15 hours ago, yoda said:

I know you need that backup but did you see Schultz this past postseason against MTL?  His defense was atrocious and he was non-existent on offense.  Perhaps you guys get lucky and he reverts back to his 2016 or 2017 season stats... but that's an awful contract signing IMO... now you have no money left to sign anyone else in FA

Schultz's numbers are actually pretty decent when he wasn't paired with Johnson, who was horrible. He actually played pretty well when paired with Petterson , and I think he'll fit well next to Orlov.  That said, I would have thought he would have been cheaper.   

I believe the caps still have 3M in cap space because Kempney is going to be on LTIR.  Figure Siegs gets 1.2 or so, and hopefully they'll use the rest to add some scoring punch to the bottom 6.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Wasn’t that around the time that the O’s Pirates series game was canceled because of snow

Yes it was!

I remember the power getting knocked out here.  Then again back in '79 our electric was about as stable as a table with three legs!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1979/10/11/snowstorm-startles-area/c1e39b0c-540e-49fd-bb9a-687cea842516/

Just now, losetoa6 said:

That's cheap.   A friend of mine just bought a hotel in deep creek for 1.6 million.  They said come party anytime freeeeee.lol

There are many deals to be had with restaurants and hotels right now, but you are taking a big risk. There is a beautiful bed and breakfast up here in Randolph they are selling for $1.5M. That's a really risky business and it may take years for business to return to the "old normal" (if it ever does).

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Schultz's numbers are actually pretty decent when he wasn't paired with Johnson, who was horrible. He actually played pretty well when paired with Petterson , and I think he'll fit well next to Orlov.  That said, I would have thought he would have been cheaper.   

I believe the caps still have 3M in cap space because Kempney is going to be on LTIR.  Figure Siegs gets 1.2 or so, and hopefully they'll use the rest to add some scoring punch to the bottom 6.

Boyd signed with the Maple Leafs FWIW

Doesn't sound like it after you guys signed Van Riemsdyk to a one year 800K deal -- https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/10/washington-capitals-sign-trevor-van-riemsdyk.html

That doesn’t necessarily mean that van Riemsdyk has more to give than the 15-ish minutes he’s averaged over the last two seasons, but it certainly could. The Capitals lost Michal Kempny to an Achilles injury recently and have now brought in both Justin Schultz and van Riemsdyk to help that defensive group.

It could also mean that another move is coming though, given Washington’s cap situation. Sure, the team will have some extra flexibility when they move Kempny to long-term injured reserve, but he only carries a $2.5MM cap hit and the team is now over the salary cap ceiling. Jonas Siegenthaler was a regular last year and needs a new contract, while the team also could use another experienced forward addition.

Still, an $800K bet on van Riemsdyk seems like a prudent one for a team that knows first hand that long Stanley Cup runs require more than just six defensemen. Even if he’s the extra, he’s not costing them much.

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

One lot is all meadow and the other is all wooded, apparently.

Are they buildable, or more for hunting/camping? That would be a hell of a deal if they were perced or have sewer available.

There are 3, 5+ acre lots near me on the market for 50-60k, with standard septic/sand mound approvals.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Broncos got screwed this weekend.

I knew they would postpone it. When the news broke this morning they were planning to go ahead with it.

Patriots are going the way of the Titans. Apparently not following protocol. Not that the NFL protocol is very good.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic