Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

:lol: 

"In an early morning email exchange with a highly regarded local met, he opined that I maintain a distance of at least 100', but my heart dissented. The correction vector protruding towards her, my Hadley Cell burgeoned with great rapidity. The next thing I knew, the geopotential medium compressed as the cell door slammed shut-

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was mind blown to see snow in Oct 2002. Couldn't believe it. And then similarly in 2003. 

Columbus day weekend?  Not sure what year it was but was at my grandfather's in southern quebec.. it was raining and changed to snow rather quickly.. by supper had a couple inches and woke up to over a foot of snow... we drove around and about 10 miles from his place had a couple inches.. hes in a high spot... I think there were flakes reported down here though that day

20 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Columbus day weekend?  Not sure what year it was but was at my grandfather's in southern quebec.. it was raining and changed to snow rather quickly.. by supper had a couple inches and woke up to over a foot of snow... we drove around and about 10 miles from his place had a couple inches.. hes in a high spot... I think there were flakes reported down here though that day

The Oct 2002 and 2003 snows both happened on the 23rd coincidentally.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That would eclipse 1996 and 2015.

Well of course we won’t have 3 KUs in 3 weeks but just the prospect of a peak season favorable pattern that doesn’t vanish when the calendar flips to Feb is intriguing. I mean, you can run 10/11 again and not have as much snow but it would be nice for a good pattern not to break and stare at the monitors everyday to see when it comes back...always 10-15 days away again.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well of course we won’t have 3 KUs in 3 weeks but just the prospect of a peak season favorable pattern that doesn’t vanish when the calendar flips to Feb is intriguing. I mean, you can run 10/11 again and not have as much snow but it would be nice for a good pattern not to break and stare at the monitors everyday to see when it comes back...always 10-15 days away again.

Just a normal winter with storms and rumors of storms will be nice as well

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice. Wish I still had my pics and knew what the cloud was back then. Boxing day in CNJ was nuts and then in dxr for the month of Jan was euphoric. My mini version of EMA 2015.

I had 42 inches on my shed roof and 38 on the ground at peak depth in 11 and it was heavy. Roof and barn collapse city. We had a thread just for that. First time I ever roof raked in my life.

• Like 1

I remember my doggie being 2 and full of energy back in 2010-11.   She thankfully is still with us but an old dog now.  And living urban at the time, I’d take her on walks on the sidewalk.  Snow banks were too big for her to climb onto do complete her business...I went one of those winters.

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That winter was nothing to write home about up here.

One of my favorite winters 2010-11.  Hit 40” depth, 160-170” total snow, many upslope events, several big synoptic events (27” March 2011 was biggest event), 330”+ at the ski area.  We had a fun February thundersnow event that dropped like 8” in a quick 6 hour system.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

One of my favorite winters.  Hit 40” depth, 160-170” total snow, many upslope events, several big synoptic events (27” March 2011 was biggest event), 330”+ at the ski area.  We had a fun February thundersnow event that dropped like 8” in a quick 6 hour system.

Looks like here we were done after 02/08 and finished avg according to my chart, But it does not look right to me, I think we did better then that.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looks like here we were done after 02/08 and finished avg according to my chart, But it does not look right to me, I think we did better then that.

Yeah if it was big up here and big in SNE, I’d imagine your area had to do well too, but who knows.  I just remember a very active winter from Nov - March.  February I remember did melt in the second half of the month but then we recovered and then some in the early March event.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah if it was big up here and big in SNE, I’d imagine your area had to do well too, but who knows.  I just remember a very active winter from Nov - March.  February I remember did melt in the second half of the month but then we recovered and then some in the early March event.

Just went back and checked Kevin W thread, Looks like we ended up with 101.55" that winter, So it was a good one.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1