Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

How do you know it won’t be? No one knows. It’s my forecast .

I wasn't the one conveying certainty, you were.

It could be a ratter, but I was asking where you got the extreme confidence form that it would be.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Like you who group texts ratter and then goes snowy and pretends I have no clue what I’m talking about . 

I just enjoying effing with you. My honest opinion is not a ratter. I have nothing to point to a ratter or snower, just my gut and some educational guessing. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@ORH_wxman Best I can gather is that my current spot probably had around 80" in 2007-08. Groveland, which is just se of Haverhill and seems like a reliable station, had 77.4".

Jive with your map?

Sounds a little low to me. But not too far off. I'd prob put you closer to mid/high 80s that winter, or possibly even cracking 90" if you are being a weenie about every squall. As we know, if the coop isn't a very meticulous snow observer, then it could easily be on the low side even if they are still following the minimal guidelines. Also you are west of them so you were prob on the W side of the CF in some events where they weren't.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Sounds a little low to me. But not too far off. I'd prob put you closer to mid/high 80s that winter, or possibly even cracking 90" if you are being a weenie about every squall. As we know, if the coop isn't a very meticulous snow observer, then it could easily be on the low side even if they are still following the minimal guidelines. Also you are west of them so you were prob on the W side of the CF in some events where they weren't.

Yes, I was surprised how low they were bc looking at the data, it seems pretty legit. I know I have told you in the past that I figured around 90" here.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, I was surprised how low they were bc looking at the data, it seems pretty legit. I know I have told you in the past that I figured around 90" here.

I mean, I do have Groveland around 80" on my map, but you are closer to 90" on the map. They should be expected to get a little less than you anyway.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, I do have Groveland around 80" on my map, but you are closer to 90" on the map. They should be expected to get a little less than you anyway.

Must just be a steeper gradient than I had suspected.

I have noted since moving here two years ago that the CF often stops at Haverhill, so that  makes sense, actually.

Just now, Hazey said:

That small window near Halloween bares watching for something wintery. It’s been on and off guidance for a few days now. Long ways out but could offer a shot.

Then of course the winter goes to hell after (if the myth is true)

#NovaScotiaStrong

If it happens on 10/30 vs 11/2, winter is shot to hell. :( 

Yeah it's way out there, but there's some potential for somethign wintry around 10/30-10/31....low probability of course this time of the year, but there's some very cold ar lurking and a good high is present on most current guidance.

Fwiw, the Euro OP cuts the system to our west, so anything is possible at this range.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's way out there, but there's some potential for somethign wintry around 10/30-10/31....low probability of course this time of the year, but there's some very cold ar lurking and a good high is present on most current guidance.

Fwiw, the Euro OP cuts the system to our west, so anything is possible at this range.

So if it cuts west, winter is saved?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Must just be a steeper gradient than I had suspected.

I have noted since moving here two years ago that the CF often stops at Haverhill, so that  makes sense, actually.

Depending on the winter there can be a sharp gradient across the area. Haverhill is a very large city, nearly 36 square miles and it is the largest city in Essex county. The central part and NW parts of Haverhill are best for snow. The area closer to North Andover is more prone to mixing and/or changing to plain rain. 

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Depending on the winter there can be a sharp gradient across the area. Haverhill is a very large city, nearly 36 square miles and it is the largest city in Essex county. The central part and NW parts of Haverhill are best for snow. The area closer to North Andover is more prone to mixing and/or changing to plain rain. 

That  is more sw end of town....I would think the part bordering Groveland and Boxford to the se would be worst...