Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

4 years ago on this date... crazy to see the foliage compared to stick season this year.  I remember this photo even made the Weather Channel thanks to Jim Cantore.

A6087F4F-9E90-427D-BF21-43873C17EBF8.thumb.jpeg.d86056f8c431bae8ed81a31997e4cf6d.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to convince my wife that the fall colors up there aren’t usually so early and don’t last only a day. LOL

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I gotta say it's maybe a little earlier here (quite colorful too), but nothing too crazy. Maples dropping quickly. 

Yeah, it kinda rattled her cage a little that the leaves changed seemingly overnight and then promptly fell off the trees. Then it rained a ton, then it snowed. LOL

A great intro to the North Country. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, it kinda rattled her cage a little that the leaves changed seemingly overnight and then promptly fell off the trees. Then it rained a ton, then it snowed. LOL

She ain't seen nothing yet. She'll be crying for mamma by Christmas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Combo of early chill and dry weather. Guarantee that next year will be later and last longer. 

Yeah that early freeze really shortened the season....it may not have muted the colors too much, but it definitely helped the leaves change early and then fall off quickly.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

You ought to sign up for KevMA's snow table so we can see if your total competes with Alex and J.Spin.   :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I figured it was the drought up here that caused the early color and quick drop.

Both are inhibiting factors to the length of the season. Severe drought really helps mute the colors too, though the drought wasn't that bad up there compared to some spots down in SE MA/CT/RI.

8 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I thought the 10/7 storm was responsible for a lot of the leaves coming down

Definitely helps to have a windy rainstorm, though a lot of places were already passing peak by that point in NNE which made it easier to drop the leaves. Down here, we weren't quite at peak yet, so we still had plenty of leaves afterward even though we lost plenty of branches during the derecho.

51F   Light rain showers.   .10" with light showers this morning.  We are  in and out of low clouds

Drove to Franconia Notch 2 days ago.  White Mountains are now basically bare.  Oaks are peaking here right now.  Foliage started extremely early but then stalled and now Oaks are about on schedule for peaking.

I wonder if it's a combination of factors... 

I've read that both seasonal daylight/solar dimming triggers the evacuation of Chlor. ... which is green pigmentation, and that exposes the others ... those being xanthophylls,
carotenoids and anthocyanins which are the yellow and oranges..reds...  And these are awesome when they are in combination as you get some orangy-reds and saffrons hues etc. 

But, also cold ... I wonder what the physics of each is though - obviously, temperature and daylight have a plausible physical relationship - it tends to be 'warmer' during the day ( for example) so it is logical to assume that a seasonal hemispheric loss of insolation would lead to cooling so duh. 

Also, I've never read that dry antecedent growing conditions parlay to colors very well ..in fact, the opposite - but ... as far as the others, we seem to have had both.

The early cool nights.. But the light part: my personal suspicion is that smoke may have been involved.  I personally noted that the sugar maples here in town started flashing over to orange and yellows toward the tail end of that continental smoke phenomenon, but ... we had not yet endured any kind of nocturnal range of temperatures that were substantively low.  Some species were triggered at/along my latitude here in SNE that may not have been associated to cooling.   interesting...

34 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

51F   Light rain showers.   .10" with light showers this morning.  We are  in and out of low clouds

Drove to Franconia Notch 2 days ago.  White Mountains are now basically bare.  Oaks are peaking here right now.  Foliage started extremely early but then stalled and now Oaks are about on schedule for peaking.

the oaks (at least up there) seem to be very red this year.. Normally they just turn brown and fall off.