Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, powderfreak said:

Just joking, plenty of snows coming up.  I know every time I leave here in the winter we’ll get a storm.  My few March vacations in the past 5 years have corresponded with some very large events lol.

Oh yeah, that’s a weenie rule for sure. Almost as certain as the snowblower rule. LOL

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

How does an area like Pittsburg do in typical winters? I have looked at some data and it seems like they miss most of the upslope?

No they get crushed. They are a big upslope area. The land to the NW is flat in Canada and then you smack into 2-3K mtns.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

How does an area like Pittsburg do in typical winters? I have looked at some data and it seems like they miss most of the upslope?

John’s Weather is or was a great website that had great obs in that area. I think he’s gone now though. They’ve got be 200” a year. Snowmobiling hot bed. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No they get crushed. They are a big upslope area. The land to the NW is flat in Canada and then you smack into 2-3K mtns.

Ok I haven’t ventured up that way yet. A guy in Berlin told me it’s really remote up there. Very few people and pretty run down. This was a guy who lives in a double-wide in Berlin saying this mind you. LOL

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Would have been nice to get more of the VT crew into it, but they’ll have there chance soon enough I’m sure. Good first event.

Yeah, just glad to get the first mountain snow of the season even if it was only 1-4" and up real high.  I just went higher into the sky to find the snow and mreaves drove to the snow, so we are doing our part to get to winter.

I love the first snow of the season on the hill, just such a satisfying feeling this evening having wandered around in the snow for several hours.

• Like 1

Just now, mreaves said:

John’s Weather is or was a great website that had great obs in that area. I think he’s gone now though. They’ve got be 200” a year. Snowmobiling hot bed. 

Looks like he’s still there. I thought I heard that he was done. I was probably mixing it up with the Cole’s Pond guy here in VT.  That was always a great web cam to watch for snow. 2200’ in the northern Greens. Lots of snow. I’ve seen 4’+ on the ground while snowmobiling in that area. 

http://www.johnsnhweather.com

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Ok I haven’t ventured up that way yet. A guy in Berlin told me it’s really remote up there. Very few people and pretty run down. This was a guy who lives in a double-wide in Berlin saying this mind you. LOL

It is remote. I don’t think there is electricity past first CT lake according to Wx2fish. But, it’s a big snow mobile mecca and they get tourism. You have some places to eat and stay. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is remote. I don’t think there is electricity past first CT lake according to Wx2fish. But, it’s a big snow mobile mecca and they get tourism. You have some places to eat and stay. 

For civilization you cross the river into the big city of Canaan, VT. You used to be able to get to Sherbrooke, PQ easily enough but who knows when that will be available again. 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Southern Pit isn't thaaaat remote...bunch of rich dudes with 2500 Denali pickups and 4 place enclosed trailers headed to the buckrub 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think someone is continuing that website. Let’s hope!

Yes, my brother will continue to maintain the website. He owns First Lake General Store, FKA Treats and Treasures. I believe the equipment will remain at the original location but he will be taking snow measurements from his backyard across the street from the store. I'll be his "advisor", as much as I can do from a distance. Hopefully the transition will be fairly seamless.

• Like 2